Eric Atreides

Spider-Man: No Way Home | December 17, 2021 | The More Fun Stuff Version (yes, that's what it's called) comes to theaters September 2nd!

My fault. I just wanted to observe how studios make their the business strategy but it's now becoming a fan war. I'm gonna be silent on the topic I started.

To be clear - I didn't mean MCU want to do multi-universe thing because of DC's The Flash. I said they already introduced the concept years ago. The question is when and how they are really gonna play with it. They could do it 10 years later, but I think part of the reasons they chose to make it at this point is that DC is also moving forward on the same thing now. Similarly, I believed MCU was gonna make big event like Civil War at some point, but we could see it in 2016 instead of 2026 because DC decided to do Batman v Superman in that year. At this point, I believe MCU will do Secret Wars, but when and how? I don't know, and Marvel Studios might not even think about it carefully. But if DC announce they are gonna do a big event in 2025, I would speculate Avengers: Secret Wars would come at the same period.

Edited by Gavin Feng

18 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

That's simplifying what Gavin Feng was saying. The Russos themselves have gone on record saying Feige wanted to do Civil War because DC was doing BvS. So it's apparent his strategy can be recalibrated (like all good strategies should be) as and when factors like market competitors and evolving consumer tastes demand it. 

Feige is notorious for his (understandable) desire to be THE trendsetter in the ever evolving superhero movie landscape. He has said he wished Marvel had been the first to make a successful female superhero movie before Wonder Woman (to his credit, he genuinely did seem to have been pushing for Captain Marvel years before it actually came out, but Ike Perlmutter's sexism was what prevented such a film from releasing during the first two phases of the MCU). I feel Eternals by Chloe Zhao is also a response to DC announcing New Gods directed by Ava DuVernay which actually seems to be working in Marvel's favor as NG got delayed. 

Also, Lord and Miller said they originally wanted to include Maguire/Garfield/Holland in Into the Spider-Verse but Sony told them it was too early to do that. When they heard what DC was planning with The Flash, it may have served as an impetus to finally do their own multiverse with Spider-Man 3.

To clarify this, because I think it is important, the Russo brothers had already pitched Civil War to Feige before BvS was announced. It was the announcement that convinced Feige it was the right direction.

https://batman-news.com/2016/04/26/batman-v-superman-helped-marvel-greenlight-captain-america-civil-war/

“Civil War really deconstructs the superhero genre and people seem to be responding to that. It was a very risky movie for us. It has a non-traditional three-act structure for a superhero film,” Russo said.

“Our pitch to them was: People will tell you they love chocolate ice cream — until you give it to them five days a week. It’s time to give them some rainbow sherbet. Kevin [Feige] is a maverick and he’s very sensitive to how people are responding to his content. He said he thought we might be right. And after they announced Batman v. Superman, he said, ‘you guys are absolutely right.’

So Feige is keeping an eye on what DC is doing and perhaps adjusting plans, but a lot of what happens in the MCU comes from within. Like you said, even Feige wanted to make a female lead superhero film and was stymied. The multiverse has been a marvel staple for decades. These aren't copycat moves.

I have my suspicions why people want to claim the MCU is just stealing ideas from DC, but I'll refrain from making the accusation. Ultimately it doesn't matter. Marvel is doing Marvel, and if the MCU borrows material form anything it is the comics upon which the movies are based.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, cax16 said:

All of your prayers have been answered.

When I saw the notification, I assumed that Maguire and/or Garfield were confirmed to have signed on, or that at least some other bit of major news must’ve happened. You got me there! Now, how many people are going to think this is legitimate?

Edited by WittyUsername

On 10/11/2020 at 10:33 PM, WittyUsername said:

Since the Electro news and the Dr. Strange news both happened on a Thursday, does that mean we should expect to hear about Tobey Maguire and/or Andrew Garfield signing on for this by next Thursday?

I’d love for them to somehow keep it under wraps if that is indeed what they plan to do with Maguire and Garfield, it’d be a Cap wielding Mjolnir level scene in terms of audience reaction. I’m sure it’d be practically impossible for them to keep it a secret until release though. 

15 hours ago, SnokesLegs said:

I’d love for them to somehow keep it under wraps if that is indeed what they plan to do with Maguire and Garfield, it’d be a Cap wielding Mjolnir level scene in terms of audience reaction. I’m sure it’d be practically impossible for them to keep it a secret until release though. 

It's already "out there" in terms of people claiming their info from "sources tied to the production." 

So if it's indeed happening at all...it's leaked already.  

Edited by Macleod

On 10/12/2020 at 8:28 AM, doublejack said:

To clarify this, because I think it is important, the Russo brothers had already pitched Civil War to Feige before BvS was announced. It was the announcement that convinced Feige it was the right direction.

https://batman-news.com/2016/04/26/batman-v-superman-helped-marvel-greenlight-captain-america-civil-war/

So Feige is keeping an eye on what DC is doing and perhaps adjusting plans, but a lot of what happens in the MCU comes from within. Like you said, even Feige wanted to make a female lead superhero film and was stymied. The multiverse has been a marvel staple for decades. These aren't copycat moves.

I have my suspicions why people want to claim the MCU is just stealing ideas from DC, but I'll refrain from making the accusation. Ultimately it doesn't matter. Marvel is doing Marvel, and if the MCU borrows material form anything it is the comics upon which the movies are based.

And DC is keeping an eye on what the MCU does. Keeping an eye on the competion is the first think they teach you in any business management course. Feige might have seen Civil War an sort of an answer to BvS, but saw he could easily make it difeerent enough to avoid being seen as a copycat.

I think Feige want to avoid being seen as trying to copycat DC. Which is why I don't think you will see Prince Namor in the MCU anytime soon. Irony is, the current Aquaman borrows heavily from the Comic Book Prince Namor.

And yes, Marvel and DC have stealing from each other gooing back to the GOlden Age.

Edited by dudalb

5 hours ago, dudalb said:

And DC is keeping an eye on what the MCU does. Keeping an eye on the competion is the first think they teach you in any business management course. Feige might have seen Civil War an sort of an answer to BvS, but saw he could easily make it difeerent enough to avoid being seen as a copycat.

I think Feige want to avoid being seen as trying to copycat DC. Which is why I don't think you will see Prince Namor in the MCU anytime soon. Irony is, the current Aquaman borrows heavily from the Comic Book Prince Namor.

And yes, Marvel and DC have stealing from each other gooing back to the GOlden Age.

Namor is coming sooner than you think. There was an Easter egg in Avengers Endgame.