Eric Atreides

Spider-Man: No Way Home | December 17, 2021 | The More Fun Stuff Version (yes, that's what it's called) comes to theaters September 2nd!

1 hour ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Well that was quick lmao

Though I must say watching certain BOT posters meltdown today with this news after gloating that the deal was cancelled was pretty entertaining. 

Oh, one of the big time SONY fanboys is talking about how SONY has Disney "right where they want them".

He also said that SONY can pull Spidey out of the MCU at anytime.

I guess this poster never heard of a thing called "Legally binding contracts" and you can bet this deal will make it almost impossible for SONY to pull SPidey out of the MCU until the contract expires. And that will  not be for a few years.

Yeah, I knew they would make a deal,too much money for both sided not to make a deal. I think they doing a classic Hollywood tactic: using publicity to try to improve your negotiating positon.

Betting the final deal pretty much split the differences between the two.

7 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

there's probably some truth to the idea that they shot for the insane 50% offer they knew they were never going to get so that the 25% deal they wanted seemed more agreeable.

Of course. It works just like  garage sale where the purchaser offers 2 bucks for something, , the owner asks 4, and they end up agreeing on 3 bucks.

Edited by dudalb

The phrasing of the press release implies that Spidey will be going to the Venom-verse at some point (and that it'll be the same character in both, if we're taking it at face value). So the question is if this movie ends with him getting sent to another universe, or will that be whatever the second Disney movie will be for.

4 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

Also, considering he just got doxxed in front of the whole planet...Peter may need a good lawyer.

latest?cb=20120504040827

Yeah, Jennifer Walters  has sort of stolen all of the Superhero legal business away from Matt Murdoch.

Edited by dudalb

"We had an event called D-23 and Tom [Holland] was there because he's a voice in a new Pixar movie called Onward. He said something and it was clear that the fans wanted Tom back as Spiderman," Iger explained to the late-night host when asked how the actor proved to be the unsung hero. 

Iger continued to explain that after Disney's D23 Expo, Holland asked for Iger's phone number and email to which Iger agreed to speak with him, which changed his perspective. "It was clear that he cared so much. He's a great Spider-Man. I felt for him and it was clear that the fans wanted all of this to happen." 

Iger said that after speaking with Holland, he "made a couple of phone calls" before ultimately calling the head of Sony. "He called me and I called them," Iger said, also adding that "sometimes companies, when they are negotiating, they forget that there are other folks out there that actually matter." 

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/bob-iger-dishes-tom-hollands-spider-man-return-new-memoir-1245393

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

"We had an event called D-23 and Tom [Holland] was there because he's a voice in a new Pixar movie called Onward. He said something and it was clear that the fans wanted Tom back as Spiderman," Iger explained to the late-night host when asked how the actor proved to be the unsung hero. 

Iger continued to explain that after Disney's D23 Expo, Holland asked for Iger's phone number and email to which Iger agreed to speak with him, which changed his perspective. "It was clear that he cared so much. He's a great Spider-Man. I felt for him and it was clear that the fans wanted all of this to happen." 

Iger said that after speaking with Holland, he "made a couple of phone calls" before ultimately calling the head of Sony. "He called me and I called them," Iger said, also adding that "sometimes companies, when they are negotiating, they forget that there are other folks out there that actually matter." 

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/bob-iger-dishes-tom-hollands-spider-man-return-new-memoir-1245393

Tom Holland is Peter Parker. Period. Just like RDJ will always be Tony Stark.

Interesting snippet from this roundtable (great btw, highly recommend the whole thing): https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/features/hollywood-reporter-executive-roundtable-7-major-studio-chiefs-1250718?

Alan and Tom, you recently had a little dispute over Spider-Man. What was the one thing above all else that resolved that standoff over Marvel producing the next Sony installment?

HORN The fan base, which is important to all of us, seemed to really respond to what Tom and his folks have done before with our people. They like the fact that the Marvel Cinematic Universe and Kevin Feige were involved [in the two Spider-Man films]. We heard feedback out there that suggested that joining forces once again was probably really a good idea.

Will this partnership continue after the trilogy? Tom, you've shown you can do Spider-Man without Marvel on the animated film Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse.

ROTHMAN Yes, we have. But I agree with my distinguished colleague. This was a classic win-win-win. A win for Sony, a win for Disney, a win for the fans. The only thing I would say is that news cycles and the rhythm of negotiations do not necessarily overlap. And this is, in the words of Shakespeare, a consummation devoutly to be wished. We would have gotten there, and the news got ahead of some things.

HORN I agree with that.

On ‎10‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 11:58 PM, Darth Lehnsherr said:

I think the studios don't really care that much about the other folks, but they care very deeply about the other folks buying tickets....

On 12/28/2019 at 4:03 PM, Arendelle Legion said:

4-day? Not sure why they’d move it up to Thurs. I’m just going to predict a 3-day. 

Franchise history for MCU Spider-man (all ranks contemporaneous peak):

OW

SMH 117M, 29th

FFH 136M*, 28th, +.63% monthly

Spoiler

*This is approximation I reverse engineered by dividing the total by an estimate of what the legs from a 3-day would be, which come from noticing that the legs from true FSS are very close to SMH and AM&tW. I feel it’s actually a bit conservative, but if you don’t like it just ignore all the OW stuff and the rest is unaffected.

DOM

SMH 334M, 49th

FFH 391M, 38th, +.65% monthly

OS

SMH 546M, 54th

FFH 741M, 27th, +1.28% monthly

WW

SMH 880M, 49th

FFH 1.132B, 23rd, +1.05% monthly

This is the only sequel coming up where Endgame doesn’t fall between, and I don’t necessarily expect it to perform that much better OS or WW. Maybe 25th/20th or so, thanks to FFH’s cliffhanger. Domestically I feel there’s a bit more room for improvement, perhaps to 25th/30th or so. By July 2021 that 25/30/25/20 should translate to about 155/425/810/1235, which is monthly growth of reasonable .55%/.36%/.37%/.36%

Final verdict: Mild downgrade

155 OW

425 DOM

810 OS

1235 WW   

I hope they turn in a remarkable movie and beat these numbers to keep the threequel trend alive.

• Like 1