Eric Atreides

Spider-Man: No Way Home | December 17, 2021 | The More Fun Stuff Version (yes, that's what it's called) comes to theaters September 2nd!

2 hours ago, Madhuvan said:

Was going through MCU and realised how meh was FFH. Can we trust Jon Watts with Spiderverse and F4. I am really nervous that they might continue to be meh with some cool moment. 

For some critics really like his direction and I don't understand why. 

You make it sound like he’s Michael Bay or something obnoxiously bad. His problem is his direction doesn’t differentiate from the so-called MCU house style detractors like to bring up.

Basically if people liked those films, it’s not because of the directing. It’s not like many of those positive HC/FFH reviews cite his auteur style or whatever as a significant factor. 

Anyway King Kevin clearly seems happy enough with him filling out the checklists to give him another franchise to tackle. His films are fine so far, I’m sure FF will be too.* 

*=Hate to spoil the future but odds are high that despite his style or lack of, his FF film will be raved if only because I’m assuming it’ll be the first FF movie that the Internet doesn’t hate. Win by default. 

• Like 2

On 4/25/2021 at 2:54 AM, Madhuvan said:

Was going through MCU and realised how meh was FFH. Can we trust Jon Watts with Spiderverse and F4. I am really nervous that they might continue to be meh with some cool moment. 

For some critics really like his direction and I don't understand why. 

Agreed.  Don't understand why Feige is giving FF to this guy.  Would like to see a more creative choice.  But whatevs.  

• Like 2

On 4/25/2021 at 4:07 AM, RRA said:

You make it sound like he’s Michael Bay or something obnoxiously bad. His problem is his direction doesn’t differentiate from the so-called MCU house style detractors like to bring up.

Basically if people liked those films, it’s not because of the directing. It’s not like many of those positive HC/FFH reviews cite his auteur style or whatever as a significant factor. 

Anyway King Kevin clearly seems happy enough with him filling out the checklists to give him another franchise to tackle. His films are fine so far, I’m sure FF will be too.* 

*=Hate to spoil the future but odds are high that despite his style or lack of, his FF film will be raved if only because I’m assuming it’ll be the first FF movie that the Internet doesn’t hate. Win by default. 

I think we all just wish, no matter how much we like the MCU, that they would give it up and let a director spread their wings. It's not going to ruin continuity for a filmmaker to be allowed to embrace their own style. 

If Zhao's Eternals doesn't look different from the rest, I don't think there's any hope for this happening in the future. They've already got her working with an anonymous Marvel DP instead of her own DP (her partner Joshua James Richards). 

• Like 1

Tbh I don't care that much about style if I still enjoy the film, and both Homecoming and FFH have been some of my favorite MCU films regardless of their fitting in with the "house style." Audience reception was very strong for both as well, so that's why Watts is presumably getting FF. 

• Like 3

And so it continues...

Andrew Garfield Breaks Silence on ‘Spider-Man: No Way Home’

The 'Mainstream' actor strongly denies he is in the film:

"I wish I could just be able to speak to everyone and say, 'I recommend that you chill.'"

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/andrew-garfield-spider-man-no-way-home-4177357/

On 4/25/2021 at 4:07 AM, RRA said:

Bay is a better director than Watts. Yeah, I said it. That being said, Watts has done a good job with these movies. Is he a singular filmmaker? No. He would need a signature style for that. 

• Like 1
  • Disbelief 1

On 4/28/2021 at 3:52 AM, Macleod said:

Agreed.  Don't understand why Feige is giving FF to this guy.  Would like to see a more creative choice.  But whatevs.  

Because no interesting director would dabble with a franchise that has been tarnished 4 times. They would rather tackle something new/fresh or a franchise with a successful movie or two.

Also, I think marvel is nervous of getting someone with very less experience in movie/tv show making for F4. They have taken chances with other characters, but in this case they are playing safe.

Safe pretty much means that you can rule out anything that will blow your minds. A fun serviceable popcorn movie with some decent vfx and action is the best one can hope. 

Frankly, I feel they announced the director too soon for F4. Should have waited till comic con or end of the year to announce someone like Adam Winguard, Jordan Vogt Roberts, Wes Ball, Leigh Whannel, Ilya Naishuller etc. Atleast those people have a flair to their direction.

Edited by marveldcfox
  • Like 1

On 5/5/2021 at 12:59 AM, marveldcfox said:

Because no interesting director would dabble with a franchise that has been tarnished 4 times. They would rather tackle something new/fresh or a franchise with a successful movie or two.

Also, I think marvel is nervous of getting someone with very less experience in movie/tv show making for F4. They have taken chances with other characters, but in this case they are playing safe.

Safe pretty much means that you can rule out anything that will blow your minds. A fun serviceable popcorn movie with some decent vfx and action is the best one can hope. 

Frankly, I feel they announced the director too soon for F4. Should have waited till comic con or end of the year to announce someone like Adam Winguard, Jordan Vogt Roberts, Wes Ball, Leigh Whannel, Ilya Naishuller etc. Atleast those people have a flair to their direction.

Do they? Their blockbuster outings were much worse than either of Watts' Spider-Man movies. 

• Like 2

Watts might not be the most visually interesting director out there, but he’s a lot better than many other safe studio directors at capturing character. I think he’s a good choice for a first Fantastic Four film to establish the family dynamic, but as they go more cosmic and weird in future films, they may want to hire someone new.

4 hours ago, tonytr87 said:

Do they? Their blockbuster outings were much worse than either of Watts' Spider-Man movies. 

I disagree. They made fun action packed movies with nice cgi and damn good cinematography. The spiderman films are acting wise much better, but the visuals and cinematography leave a lot to be desired. They feel sitcomish at times.

• Disbelief 1

20 hours ago, marveldcfox said:

I disagree. They made fun action packed movies with nice cgi and damn good cinematography. The spiderman films are acting wise much better, but the visuals and cinematography leave a lot to be desired. They feel sitcomish at times.

Both of their monsterverse films were dumb as rocks and the action wasn't even that interesting. The cinematography in the Spider-Man films might be technically worse, but that's an MCU thing, not a Watts thing. 

There's a reason it's pretty much a guarantee that Eternals will be Zhao's worst-looking film. 

Edited by tonytr87
  • ...wtf 1