Eric Atreides

Spider-Man: No Way Home | December 17, 2021 | The More Fun Stuff Version (yes, that's what it's called) comes to theaters September 2nd!

Multiverse is a really great idea for Phase 4. Instead of yet another Avengers team up, they are doing something different. That Spiderman multiverse includes Spidermen from existing franchies prior to MCU is an icing on a cake. Bigger deal than just casting new actors. I mean, people love Loki variants but return of actual old favorites is mind-blowing.

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

I am not a fan of Multiverse stuff but I agree it’s the only logical evolution. There’s no novelty in another dozen movies of team assembling. Spider-Man is going to do double what it originally would have because the multiverse elements turn it into an event. By incorporating the multiverse, they can also naturally include mutants and explain X-Men. Multiverses have also been a big factor in the comics.

I expect this all builds up to some Secret Wars inspired Avengers film 

• Like 1

Even Infinity War barely made it past 2b. No single-character Marvel movie ever even reached 1.4b. There is nothing that hints at this coming particularly close to 2b pre-pandemic. That's just getting caught in the hype.

Endgame was the culmination of a long build-up, and it had the advantage of being an Avengers movie instead of being about a single character (with some support). Those are a far bigger draw worldwide than the single character ones. This movie wouldn't have matched Endgame domestically. Much less cleared the Infinity War level international performance necessary to get to 2b worldwide, or even go way beyond that to approach Avatar / Endgame. At this point you are talking about making more internationally than what the biggest single character movie had made worldwide. That's just making a ludicrous estimate for the sake of making a ludicrous estimate, not because there is any good argument for it. An even easier thing to make, considering you never have to prove it in any way.

Edited by George Parr
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, George Parr said:

Even Infinity War barely made it past 2b. No single-character Marvel movie ever even reached 1.4b. There is nothing that hints at this coming particularly close to 2b pre-pandemic. That's just getting caught in the hype.

Endgame was the culmination of a long build-up, and it had the advantage of being an Avengers movie instead of being about a single character (with some support). Those are a far bigger draw worldwide than the single character ones. This movie wouldn't have matched Endgame domestically. Much less cleared the Infinity War level performance necessary to get to 2b worldwide, or even go way beyond that to approach Avatar / Endgame. At this point you are talking about making more internationally than what the biggest single character movie had made worldwide. That's just making a ludicrous estimate for the sake of making a ludicrous estimate, not because there is any good argument for it. An even easier thing to make, considering you never have to prove it in any way.

Agree with you. 2b was best case scenario. And frankly speaking anything over 1.5b was great pre pandemic 

well, barely making 2B is still making 2B. Nitpick all you want but what matters is that milestone is achieved and they didn't even have to fudge with Puerto Rico. 

While I agree we should be careful not to get caught in the hype, I want to remind everyone that Spiderman 3 was the first comic book movie to cross 500M OS which, before that, was a sum reserved for Potter, LOTR and POTC. Even Star Wars Prequels couldn't cross the mark though TPM original run came close. ASM 2 also crossed 500M in 2014 when TWS and GOTG couldn't. My point is, don't underestimate OS hunger for this character outside of MCU which should really propel NWH's boxoffice internationally. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, George Parr said:

Endgame was the culmination of a long build-up, and it had the advantage of being an Avengers movie instead of being about a single character (with some support). Those are a far bigger draw worldwide than the single character ones. This movie wouldn't have matched Endgame domestically. Much less cleared the Infinity War level international performance necessary to get to 2b worldwide, or even go way beyond that to approach Avatar / Endgame. At this point you are talking about making more internationally than what the biggest single character movie had made worldwide. That's just making a ludicrous estimate for the sake of making a ludicrous estimate, not because there is any good argument for it. An even easier thing to make, considering you never have to prove it in any way.

What about the record-breaking trailer metrics? While trailer views do not perfectly correlate with potential box office, the fact that NWH destroyed Endgame's old records does seem like it would have performed well above just a standard solo Spider-Man film. 

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, KP1025 said:

What about the record-breaking trailer metrics? While trailer views do not perfectly correlate with potential box office, the fact that NWH destroyed Endgame's old records does seem like it would have performed well above just a standard solo Spider-Man film. 

Yes and it also destroyed BW, Eternals and SC together. None of them had shabby trailer views but interest in NWH far exceeds interest in those other movies. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, George Parr said:

This isn’t just a single character Marvel film. It’s their biggest since Endgame featuring other major MCU characters and return of Tobey Maguire whose Spider-Man films broke the opening weekend record twice (2 would have done it if not for Wednesday) and made over 800m twice before current age of ticket inflation, etc. 3 alone made 890m. FFH made 1.1b which was up Homecoming’s 880m. No film opening over 100m in December made less than 500m domestic.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Y'all underestimating its $2B chances without any pandemic. This is like Force Awakens of Marvel movies. Raimi SM movies were HUGE even by today's standards(there's lot of nostalgia for these movies among Millennials/Zillennials) , couple that with the success of FFH and Doctor Strange returning after Infinity War and Endgame in a major role. Even TASM fans want to see what Andrew has been up to since then as he never got a third movie.

Edited by Saul Goodman
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Yes, 2B is/was (well, fuck pandemic for messing up with numbers) possible cause we have OS to inflate the total. As I showed in previous post, Spiderman 3 (yes the dreaded Spiderman 3) and ASM 2 (yes the dreaded ASM2) made over 500M OS. The former did it without 3D, the latter did it while TWS and GOTG failed. Yet anyone on this forum will tell you that GOTG and TWS were success and that ASM2 disappointed because they had stronger dom. But ignore OS signs in favor of NWH at your own peril. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

I am not a fan of Multiverse stuff but I agree it’s the only logical evolution. There’s no novelty in another dozen movies of team assembling. Spider-Man is going to do double what it originally would have because the multiverse elements turn it into an event. By incorporating the multiverse, they can also naturally include mutants and explain X-Men. Multiverses have also been a big factor in the comics.

I expect this all builds up to some Secret Wars inspired Avengers film 

Better get used to the Multiverse stuff, because the cinematic DCU is going in the same direction with FLashpoint.

Looking forward to this.

I am a huge fan of Dr Strange in the comics, And I have no problem with the cinematic DR Strange casting the spell.

Don't forget, in "Doctor Strange" the main charecter train of Stephan Strange, was he was an arrogant, egotistical SOB.

Yes, he has changed, he is no longer self centered,  but I can see he could fall back into arrogant behavior ,thinking casting the spell was no big deal,only finding out later he had made a big mistake.

I guess every SPiderman has to go through the whole "Spiderman No More" plotline. Hell, back in the 60's it happened twice;Peter Parker quit as SPidey in issue 19  and then quit a second time around Issue 50 (this is where you get the iconic Comic Book cover of Parker walking away with the Spidey suit in the trash can) and happened a number of times since. I guess they decided to give it a new twist this time around.

And I admit, I am really looking forwar to seeing Alfred Molina return as DOc Ock, IMHO the best screen Spidey Villian.

3 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

I wonder if this can break into the top 10 North American opening weekends of all time. Currently, nine out of 10 of the movies in that list are Disney movies, so I guess this would technically be an exception to that, even though Disney would still profit off it. 

Hopefully.    

And yeah, this is even more of a co-production than before the new deal. So it goes under the record books for Sony… but should probably also count for Disney. At the very least it would be quite a stretch to count it as non-Disney. 

while covid is affecting things so far i havent seen evidence to suggest that it takes aways a 50% or so from their pre pandemic potential ... imo every movie so far has made a 70-80% of their box office potential in a non pandemic world ( the exceptions of course being the hbomax and pa release in them i guess maybe a 60% or so from their true potential)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, George Parr said:

No single-character Marvel movie ever even reached 1.4b.

If you’re analyzing this as a “single-character Marvel movie” you’re still not even close to getting it. This is under the spider-man subfranchise banner, sure, but the hype is from being a crossover/teamup for 3 different sub franchises. It’s the IW of Spider-man movies, and only reasonable comparison is to avengers flicks, not solo movies. To wit, rank performance of the 4 avengers movies:  

OWs — 1st, 2nd, 1st , 1st

DOM — 3rd, 7th, 4th, 2nd

OS — 4th, 5th, 3rd, 2nd

WW — 3rd, 5th, 4th, 1st   

Like I said earlier, and the official views emphasize it even more, this is one of the 5 most hyped movies from the past dozen years. 260+OW with 700+ DOM and 1.2+ OS at least.

• Like 1