Eric Atreides

Spider-Man: No Way Home | December 17, 2021 | The More Fun Stuff Version (yes, that's what it's called) comes to theaters September 2nd!

17 minutes ago, Noctis said:

I'm being honest...this multiverse stuff spells convoluted disaster. Maybe not yet in this film, but I hope I'm wrong?

I think it has to be handled carefully. It worked well in "Spiderman"Into The Spideyverse" movie, but yeah, the potential for it to be a absolute mess is there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CJohn said:

I would have opened a 300M OW club for this BEAST if we were in a pre-pandemic world. As is, I think 120-140M OW would be great.

yeah but it's tradition :):):):):) dooooooo it.  doooooooo it.

Gonna be taking a first pass at Fri/Th, Sat/Fri, Sun/Sat and the implied True IM/IM soon. Seems like schools should be off on the Mon which should help Sun night. Tfri/prev definitely will be the trickiest to nail down.    

@Menor, @TalismanRing, @charlie Jatinder thoughts on good historical comps? The 4 big Dec SW are obvious but imperfect. Sadly off the top of my head not much else comes to mind.

5 hours ago, Madhuvan said:

Spider-man fans on twitter calling it bigger movie than Endgame :bouncy: 

This is why I think the 2 billion comment is insane. Is it possible I guess if everything went perfect before the pandemic maybe but even then you're talking about a 50% leap from the last film that came right after end game.

Sure if it has a rotten tomatoes of 99% but somehow I doubt that given the quality of FFH.

3 hours ago, Madhuvan said:

Agree with you. 2b was best case scenario. And frankly speaking anything over 1.5b was great pre pandemic 

Hell 1.5 Billion would have been awesome! 400m increase from FFH and kicking the crap out of Black Panther. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Lokis Legion said:

Gonna be taking a first pass at Fri/Th, Sat/Fri, Sun/Sat and the implied True IM/IM soon. Seems like schools should be off on the Mon which should help Sun night. Tfri/prev definitely will be the trickiest to nail down.    

@Menor, @TalismanRing, @charlie Jatinder thoughts on good historical comps? The 4 big Dec SW are obvious but imperfect. Sadly off the top of my head not much else comes to mind.

Nothing else. SW is the only opener of this scale in December. Even LOTR and Hobbit were more leg-based movies (and too old to provide much use for the OW anyway). 

7 minutes ago, Menor said:

Nothing else. SW is the only opener of this scale in December. Even LOTR and Hobbit were more leg-based movies (and too old to provide much use for the OW anyway). 

Yeah pretty much my conclusion. And some of the SW are poor guides to daily behavior because of calendar fit — e.g., TROS was so close to Xmas that it may have helped Sun and Tfri more relative to prev and Sat, TLJ released so much before Xmas that I think the weekdays after had a decent amount of school, etc.    

RO and TFA are each just one day off at least, but the Mon drops make me think RO’s one day diff turned its Mon into much more school than TFA/NWH…

Edited by Lokis Legion

1 hour ago, Lokis Legion said:

Weekend interal multi would be like TLJ/TFA only. Only change needed is THU/OD, which would be on higher end of MCU i.e. 37-38%.

30-35

49-57

50-60

42-48

171-200

Edited by charlie Jatinder

11 minutes ago, Firepower said:

Both got over 90%, quality doesn't matter in this case, it'll get great reception anyway.

Needs more than great reception to hit 2b even without a pandemic. Needs universal love. I swear people think it's frickin easy 

Titanic rereleased like 5 times and had girls going to see it 10 times. Avatar had the best 3d adoption rate ever. Hell I'm still not convinced avatar 2 has 2b locked.

55 minutes ago, Lokis Legion said:

As said Star Wars are the only films of this scale during December - but they're also far more preview to weekend front loaded than Marvel.  (see TFA v Endgame)  Probably have to look at a combination of SW and other smaller openings like Aquaman and The Hobbits.  After OW is should be a better comp for the dailies.

Edited by TalismanRing

4 hours ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

I am not a fan of Multiverse stuff but I agree it’s the only logical evolution. There’s no novelty in another dozen movies of team assembling. Spider-Man is going to do double what it originally would have because the multiverse elements turn it into an event. By incorporating the multiverse, they can also naturally include mutants and explain X-Men. Multiverses have also been a big factor in the comics.

I expect this all builds up to some Secret Wars inspired Avengers film 

This is where the multiverse concept would lose me. That's an incredibly lazy way to introduce mutants. Besides, from a practical standpoint, it won't work. I'm sure they'd rather cast the X-men anew and not be beholden to what FOX was doing beforehand. 

Ok now its official.

Guessing Sony added the fan uploads in China while Disney counts only official uploads.

The main difference in EG came in Insta & Twitter, which are inflated by 2 sec autoplay views on half screen a lot. I won't pay much attention to that.

As for You Tube, EG managed to stay ahead.

• Like 1

On 8/24/2021 at 3:02 AM, FilmFincher said:

I see people complaining about Peter's decision in this trailer.

Surely it's there to set up a fairly decent character arc, having to accept his new status in the world and his changed life, you can't wish some things away yadayadayada etc. etc... everybody claps, the end. 

The MCU is like a long running TV show so we keep getting these micro character arcs in each film, nothing super meaty or consequential which makes the individual film weaker but it all adds up by the end. 

Also huge Raimi fan, trailer did not do a lot for me, feels like they're gonna mess it up somehow. 

I'm excited for it, but in the wake of that trailer there have been a lot of tweets with gifs/clips of the Raimi pictures, and suddenly I was reminded just how un-cinematic the Marvel movies are to some extent. Raimi has a keen visual eye. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Fox20 said:

I cannot wait for Dr Strage to come out and have the same Marvel film cinematography and people will blame Marvel ruinning Raimi.

LoL I love dr strange can't wait for #2.

I have it like 10 or 9th overall I was surprised how high it was.

Edited by cdsacken

1 hour ago, cdsacken said:

This is why I think the 2 billion comment is insane. Is it possible I guess if everything went perfect before the pandemic maybe but even then you're talking about a 50% leap from the last film that came right after end game.

Sure if it has a rotten tomatoes of 99% but somehow I doubt that given the quality of FFH.

To be precise, $2 billion requires around a 77% increase from FFH. I know that seems like an extremely difficult ask for a sequel, but NWH should be treated more like an Avengers-level event at this point rather than just another Spider-Man film. Now it's certainly possible that it underperforms significantly relative to its unprecedented trailer views, but I'll wait until presales start before ruling anything out of the realm of possibility. 

• Like 3