Eric Atreides

White Bird: A Wonder Story | Lionsgate | Delayed to Q4 2023

https://deadline.com/2019/10/lionsgate-mandeville-films-wonder-author-r-j-palacio-white-bird-a-wonder-story-1202749177/

Following the critical and commercial success of the Julia Roberts, Owen Wilson, and Jacob Tremblay-starring film, Wonder, Lionsgate is set to develop NYT best selling author R.J. Palacio’s graphic novel White Bird: A Wonder Story into a feature. Wonder producers David Hoberman and Todd Lieberman of Mandeville Films, as well as Palacio, will once again produce the adaptation.

White Bird, which hit bookstores today via Alfred A. Knopf, inhabits the same universe as Wonder, which centered on young Auggie Pullman, a boy born with facial differences, and his transition to a mainstream elementary school.

White Bird follows a young Jewish girl hidden away by a boy and his family in Nazi-occupied France during World War II. Recounted by Grandmere to her grandson, Julian, a character already known to those familiar with Wonder, Grandmere’s story about her childhood—her fairy-tale life before the war, how everything abruptly changed when the Nazi’s occupied France, and how the boy she and her classmates once shunned becomes her savior and best friend — is transformational for Julian. It is his evolution, as well as Grandmere’s extraordinary story, that helps White Bird movingly demonstrate the power of kindness to change hearts, build bridges, and even save lives.

James Myers will oversee the project on behalf of Lionsgate.

Edited by Eric!
  • Like 1

https://deadline.com/2021/02/helen-mirren-gillian-anderson-white-bird-a-wonder-story-lionsgate-1234701030/

EXCLUSIVE: Oscar-winner Helen Mirren has signed on to co-star in White Bird: A Wonder Story, Liongate’s companion film drawn from the universe of its 2017 hit, Wonder. In addition, Ariella Glaser and Orlando Schwerdt have also been cast in lead roles while Bryce Gheisar is set to reprise his role as Julian from Wonder.

The new additions are joining previously announced star Gillian Anderson in the film, which commenced production in Eastern Europe. Finding Neverland and Christopher Robin helmer Marc Forster is directing the film adaptation based on the book by R.J. Palacio.

1 hour ago, datpepper said:

Maybe they are pushing it off if they have a buyer for the studio lined up as they alluded to being possible last month:

"There seems to be a group of investors that really like the streaming side and the platform side. And there's another that understand the immense value that we have, really, after the MGM sale to Amazon," CEO Jon Feltheimer told analysts during the company's quarterly earnings call. 

Any transaction that would include the studio would value it separately from Starz. "We still have to create a vehicle so that we can value both sides separately," Feltheimer said.

source: https://www.axios.com/pro/media-deals/2022/08/05/lionsgate-sell-studio-starz

They are meant to be announcing the Starz spinoff/sale this month, so we might get more info within the next couple of weeks if they have someone who is buying the whole company.

Either than that maybe debt is preventing them from funding the marketing spend and so they are pushing it back for now, which is also very possible given their financial situation hasn’t been the greatest.

After the Moonfall debacle, all Lionsgate did was release Fall. I am certain Prey for the Devil is the next on the delays list.

Their 2023 lineup screams "can someone please buy me?". They have all their big active franchises lineup. All of them. Plus Borderlands. This is it.

8 minutes ago, CJohn said:

After the Moonfall debacle, all Lionsgate did was release Fall. I am certain Prey for the Devil is the next on the delays list.

Their 2023 lineup screams "can someone please buy me?". They have all their big active franchises lineup. All of them. Plus Borderlands. This is it.

Think they've hinted they have a deal to sell off Starz in the works, possible that they're at least waiting to use the money off that deal to get some of these movies released and make some profits off of them (Well, that's what they're hoping for, I'm sure).

Wick 4 is the only near-surefire hit they have coming up. The rest range from certain flops to financial wild cards.

3 hours ago, Eric Bainbridge said:

I still remember getting the trailer for this before Love and Thunder. At this point, I'll probably get the trailer before the next Thor movie.

Lionsgate clearly has no faith in it.