Eric Atreides

JOKER WEEKEND THREAD | 96M DOM, 151 OS, 247M WW (October Record all around) | ***NO SPOILERS*** | SALE LIVE: Monthly Premium Account 50% off, Monthly Gold Account $5 Off

First DHD weekend estimates: JOKER WITH $92M Weekend!!

https://deadline.com/2019/10/joker-box-office-opening-weekend-1202752002/

‘Joker’ Beating ‘Venom’s Record October Opening With $92M – Midday B.O. Update

Edited by Finnick
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

So they're saying 25.7M Friday, pretty much agreed with Charlie. And 92 actually does look right off of such a Friday.  

Still early in the day, things could swing a lot in either direction.

Edited by Thanos Legion

5 hours ago, Hatebox said:

Venom's WW gross really was ludicrous, wasn't it? Comic book movies' BO performance are usually at least slightly correlated to quality, but not that time. 

Imo Venom was much more entertaining after the 1st act than the last 2 live action Spider-man films

• Thanks 1
  • ...wtf 1
  • Knock It Off 1

Oh, My God, I just got out of Judy.  We don't even need to have an Oscar ceremony.  We can just mail the Oscar to Renee's house right now.  She is scary good.  It's eerie how much of Garland's essence and presence she captures without turning it into a drag show parody/homage.  I have more thoughts on it once the Spoiler Review Thead's up.

I also thought it was so smart to focus on just a year of her life instead of trying to jam the whole life into two hours.  Biopics should do that more.  We have some flashbacks to her MGM days, but they don't detract.  They're brutal, and I was viscerally angry throughout them.

AND!!  They didn't forget her gay fans!!  I was sooooo happy they included that subplot.  I just cried the whole time.

• Like 11
  • Astonished 1

Also from DL

Dreamworks Animation/Pearl Studio’s Abominable will lay claim to second place with $10.4M, -50% in weekend 2 for a 10-day of $36.2M. Third goes to Focus Features’ Downton Abbey with $7.7M, -46% in weekend 3 for a running total Sunday of $73.3M. Jennifer Lopez and Constance Wu’s stripper pic Hustlers stays strong in 4th place in weekend 4 with $5.9M, -48% for a running cume on Sunday of $90.9M.

New Line/Warner Bros.’ It Chapter Two of $4.7M, -54% in weekend 5 for a running total $201.6M.  Roadside Attractions’ Judy remains in tune in weekend 2, jumping from 461 to 1,458 theaters for $4.3M, +47% for a running total of $8.8M in 6th place.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, TMP said:

She still has Scarjo to compete with

No.  It's everything the Oscar voter wants: brutal, honest, transformative, "getting ugly for the role."  It won't even be a contest.  

• Astonished 1

Not the best for Judy, but 20M total for it would be a win IMO.

Also, love that Joker is gonna end up within spitting distance (either way) of Justice League. Not trying to incite fan wars but... it's an observation. 

• Like 1

i'm not really a judy fan so renee winning a big comeback oscar for playing her, when judy famously lost her big comeback oscar is the kind of oscar nonsense i love. it's pretty funny to me. i hope it happens.

3 minutes ago, grim22 said:

That Judy expansion is awful.

How? It posted a $6K+ average from over 450 theaters last weekend and looks to be doing around $3K from over 3x as many theaters this weekend. That's actually a really strong number all things considered.

• Like 1