Eric Duncan

JOKER WEEKEND THREAD | 96M DOM, 151 OS, 247M WW (October Record all around) | ***NO SPOILERS*** | SALE LIVE: Monthly Premium Account 50% off, Monthly Gold Account $5 Off

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

How? It posted a $6K+ average from over 450 theaters last weekend and looks to be doing around $3K from over 3x as many theaters this weekend. That's actually a really strong number all things considered.

You can't expect a film like "Judy" to perform like a standard blockbuster. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

How does one discuss these things? I sent you a couple messages after the Joker warning/threadban (which, in retrospect, was probably a blessing) and I didn't hear anything.  

By Knock knocking and letting the devil in :Venom:

It does feel like Best Actress is shaping up to be Zellweger's to lose. Of course we all said the same thing about Close around this time last year, who unlike Renee is without an Oscar, but I think the dynamic changes when you're playing an icon, plus Judy feels like a much bigger deal than The Wife ever did and will probably get something like a Costume nod to go along.

• Like 1

My audience for Judy was sooooo old. I was the youngest there by 20 years.  Bunch of old women.  Three of them were talking behind me, and I almost turned around and was like "Shut up."

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

It does feel like Best Actress is shaping up to be Zellweger's to lose. Of course we all said the same thing about Close around this time last year, who unlike Renee is without an Oscar, but I think the dynamic changes when you're playing an icon, plus Judy feels like a much bigger deal than The Wife ever did and will probably get something like a Costume nod to go along.

it's already approaching the wife's box office total. plus nobody cares about that movie. it was all "glenn close needs an oscar and this movie is competent enough, let's go!" this time at least renee already has an oscar so it's more about people's reaction to the performance rather than the performer's "due"ness. it's basically the only thing bringing that movie attention. if glenn had won an oscar for Dangerous Liasons like she should've then she probably wouldn't have been nominated for The Wife or Albert Nobbs.

Edited by CoolioD1
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

My audience for Judy was sooooo old. I was the youngest there by 20 years.  Bunch of old women.  Three of them were talking behind me, and I almost turned around and was like "Shut up."

This is how @WrathOfHan used to experience movies

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

30 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

Oh, My God, I just got out of Judy.  We don't even need to have an Oscar ceremony.  We can just mail the Oscar to Renee's house right now.  She is scary good.  It's eerie how much of Garland's essence and presence she captures without turning it into a drag show parody/homage. 

Agreed. 

I loved Judy! Renee was remarkable. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

4 minutes ago, DAR said:

This is how @WrathOfHan used to experience movies

2 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

I DID think of him!

Frankly, I'm surprised you didn't tag him. :ph34r:  Glad to see DAR picking up the slack here. 👍

48 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

So they're saying 25.7M Friday, pretty much agreed with Charlie. And 92 actually does look right off of such a Friday.  

Still early in the day, things could swing a lot in either direction.

92 is pretty darn good. It's not amazing but still for that budget damn. I will wait for final totals. 

Just now, TheDarkKnightOfSteel said:

It could.Estimates usually go up from DHD's early numbers and Charlie did say that he was kinda conservative  with his 40M Friday.But he also said it could go either way.

Eh. Deadline always is conservative with their projections. Buzz is way too strong for it not to have a 100m OW.