Eric Atreides

JOKER WEEKEND THREAD | 96M DOM, 151 OS, 247M WW (October Record all around) | ***NO SPOILERS*** | SALE LIVE: Monthly Premium Account 50% off, Monthly Gold Account $5 Off

51 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

Oh, My God, I just got out of Judy.  We don't even need to have an Oscar ceremony.  We can just mail the Oscar to Renee's house right now.  She is scary good.  It's eerie how much of Garland's essence and presence she captures without turning it into a drag show parody/homage.  I have more thoughts on it once the Spoiler Review Thead's up.

I also thought it was so smart to focus on just a year of her life instead of trying to jam the whole life into two hours.  Biopics should do that more.  We have some flashbacks to her MGM days, but they don't detract.  They're brutal, and I was viscerally angry throughout them.

AND!!  They didn't forget her gay fans!!  I was sooooo happy they included that subplot.  I just cried the whole time.

Yeah, she's amazing. And that ending... 😭

I was curious afterwards so I did some research. Apparently a lot of that stuff with Louie Mayer really happened. Truly awful human. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, A Star is Orm said:

Yeah, she's amazing. And that ending... 😭

I was just like:

sad wizard of oz GIF

the whole time.

1 minute ago, A Star is Orm said:

I was curious afterwards so I did some research. Apparently a lot of that stuff with Louie Mayer really happened. Truly awful human. 

YUUUUUUUP.  And they didn't even get into her mother.  

=

So I took my 90 year old grandmother.  It was funny, cause I totally went STAN on her during the car ride home.  She thought that Renee should have lip synced (this actually didn't bother me the way I thought it would).  She also said she didn't look anything like Judy Garland. And I was like .... *TEN MINUTES LATER* and that's why she did.

• Like 2

Variety

Joaquin Phoenix’s “Joker” is dominating North American moviegoing and heading for a record $90 million opening weekend, early estimates showed Friday.

Warner Bros.’ R-rated thriller about a psychopathic criminal appears to be on track to top the October record for a launch weekend, set a year ago when Sony’s “Venom” debuted with $80.3 million. Warner Bros. has adhered to an $80 million estimate, even after “Joker” set a record for an October preview with $13.3 million, while Friday estimates from rivals came in significantly higher.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Joker - Sold out IMAX show in the UK and boy....

I was more or less enthralled throughout and think it will provoke all kinds of different reactions, which will work great for it. Honestly, I cannot even believe it got made. 
Whatever you think of it, it’s something to see alright. With a big audience who you can audibly hear in sectors struggling to know how to react to some of it. 

I never would have predicted we’d get a movie like this after sitting there for JL two years ago. Remarkable really. 

Can’t see it not topping $100 million by the end of Sunday. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Joker - Sold out IMAX show in the UK and boy....

I was more or less enthralled throughout and think it will provoke all kinds of different reactions, which will work great for it. Honestly, I cannot even believe it got made. 
Whatever you think of it, it’s something to see alright. With a big audience who you can audibly hear in sectors struggling to know how to react to some of it. 

I never would have predicted we’d get a movie like this after sitting there for JL two years ago. Remarkable really. 

Can’t see it not topping $100 million by the end of Sunday. 

Is there an cinemascore/imdb UK version? I'm curious to see if reactions differ and if it is a cultural thing 

1 hour ago, cdsacken said:

92 is pretty darn good. It's not amazing but still for that budget damn. I will wait for final totals. 

I’m so tired of this. How is it not amazing? 

what do people have against these films? 

Biggest October previews ever

Biggest October weekend ever

The film is R rated 

it would be the fourth biggest opening ever for an R rated film, ever. 

What do people expect, it’s so blatant and tiresome. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, The Chad DC said:

Is there an cinemascore/imdb UK version? I'm curious to see if reactions differ and if it is a cultural thing 

Not that I’m aware of. 
People in my screening seemed to really like it. 

I had five people on my row dressed as the joker. A couple of them were really great recreations of the new Phoenix look. Kind of added to it all. What a disturbing evening at the flicks. Lol

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, The Chad DC said:

From what I've seen it's got huge universal acclaim from general audience and fans pretty much everywhere around the world. For example, in the most popular russian imdb type site it's the highest rated comic book movie ever on the level of TDK. Imdb rating is huge, metacritic user score is huge. It's a worldwide event.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Not that I’m aware of. 
People in my screening seemed to really like it. 

I had five people on my row dressed as the joker. A couple of them were really great recreations of the new Phoenix look. Kind of added to it all. What a disturbing evening at the flicks. Lol

Just now, Firepower said:

From what I've seen it's got huge universal acclaim from general audience and fans pretty much everywhere around the world. For example, in the most popular russian imdb type site it's the highest rated comic book movie ever on the level of TDK. Imdb rating is huge, metacritic user score is huge. It's a worldwide event.

Thanks guys. Genuinely curious about the European vs American critics discrepancy now. Nevertheless, I am glad the world is enjoying the movie.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, captainwondyful said:

My audience for Judy was sooooo old. I was the youngest there by 20 years.  Bunch of old women.  Three of them were talking behind me, and I almost turned around and was like "Shut up."

COme on, your're better then that.

And the biggest problems I have had in theaters during a movie recently were idiots with cell phones during a movie. And most of them were  pretty young.

14 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

if this happens to me

yTBvUrSw9_0QY8HElfuB4UcukCM=.gif

• Like 2

1 minute ago, The Chad DC said:

Thanks guys. Genuinely curious about the European vs American critics discrepancy now. Nevertheless, I am glad the world is enjoying the movie.

I was always saying that the whole "divisive" thing was strictly political and strictly for american far left press, people LOVE this movie.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

I’m so tired of this. How is it not amazing? 

what do people have against these films? 

Biggest October previews ever

Biggest October weekend ever

The film is R rated 

it would be the fourth biggest opening ever for an R rated film, ever. 

What do people expect, it’s so blatant and tiresome. 

"Better than every single MCU film". "One of the few films I'd rate a 10 of 10" "actor of the year locked up". Barely beating tracking isn't amazing. It's damn good for a small budget but amazing? Nah. Hell. We'll see what the final number is. 600+ WW would be awesome and by all accounts if it really does continue it's great OS run it will get there. I know you love bloody scary rated r films. For me it's my least favorite. 

Normally I would expect this type of film to fall off hard legs wise but I doubt it given the reception.