Eric Duncan

JOKER WEEKEND THREAD | 96M DOM, 151 OS, 247M WW (October Record all around) | ***NO SPOILERS*** | SALE LIVE: Monthly Premium Account 50% off, Monthly Gold Account $5 Off

1 hour ago, wildphantom said:

Joker - Sold out IMAX show in the UK and boy....

I was more or less enthralled throughout and think it will provoke all kinds of different reactions, which will work great for it. Honestly, I cannot even believe it got made. 
Whatever you think of it, it’s something to see alright. With a big audience who you can audibly hear in sectors struggling to know how to react to some of it. 

I never would have predicted we’d get a movie like this after sitting there for JL two years ago. Remarkable really. 

Can’t see it not topping $100 million by the end of Sunday. 

You just made me realise that a Joker movie is gonna out open Justice League

Edited by eddyxx
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Adult oriented film is one of Warner Bros' strengths and it's an area they do really well in with a few exceptions.

In terms of a follow up to Joker, I think Lex Luthor would be interesting but tougher to do as a film.

A political drama where Lois Lane tries to uncover how corrupted Lex Luthor, who is the mayor of the city is.The film takes place before Superman makes himself known to the world.Could tackle drugs,trafficking,racism,violence.

Both Lois and Lex have are such great characters that they have a great story to,tell.With a great script this film could really work I think and be another great addition to the the DC Black label.

• Like 1

Looking at Joker Friday sales in Victoria, if not a single other ticket is sold today (which obvs wont happen, even though evening shows are pretty full already so there's not much more room for it to climb), following Captain Marvel comp it gets to 37.3M Friday. Given that there will be more sales throughout the evening, I would guess 40.5-41M seems like a good place to bet for now. 

Edited by DAJK
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cdsacken said:

90+ is great but not amazing I agree. 100+ though....hard to really say anything but amazing. Really thought it needed like 15.5 or 16m MD but not so sure given the ever increasing numbers. Would have thought it would be more front loaded. Appears I will be wrong.

I was gonna stay out, but c'mon.  Normally, we see a lot of hyperbole on the board, but this is LITERALLY an amazing opening.

1st, it's record-breaking for the month.  

2nd, it wasn't made AS a blockbuster.  This had no blockbuster budget.  In a year where NOTHING has opened huge that didn't have a blockbuster budget (maybe I'll give you Us - but this will out open Us by $30M in OW), that's huge.

3rd, it's a stand alone - nothing led into this movie.  This isn't in some DCEU universe.  Heck, it actually had the reverse, having to break from a past universe and character, since there was a well received Joker character only 3 years ago.

4th, it's rated R.  Of supers openers rated R that aren't a straight comedy, this will be the top.  At least $15M above Logan...and again, Logan was an ending of a well-received trilogy.

5th - 6-12 months ago, everyone joked that this movie wouldn't make $20M OW with the concept it had.  This is a TRIUMPH over expectations at movie creation.  Comparing its performance to tracking now is missing why tracking got so high and so fast - they made what seems to be a pretty dang good movie (we'll see when I watch it) and they marketed the heck out of it...

So, in sum, this open is a damn triumph.  And as a supers fan, I'm excited to see it.  And as a not "same old, same old" fan, I'm dang happy it happened on a movie which didn't just embrace the same tropes and tones:)...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 4

4 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

5th - 6-12 months ago, everyone joked that this movie wouldn't make $20M OW with the concept it had.  This is a TRIUMPH over expectations at movie creation.  Comparing its performance to tracking now is missing why tracking got so high and so fast - they made what seems to be a pretty dang good movie (we'll see when I watch it) and they marketed the heck out of it...

That's a great point (Out of 'Like'). Almost everyone trashed the project when it was announced.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

That's a great point (Out of 'Like'). Almost everyone trashed the project when it was announced.

Just look at how many folks thought joker will finish under Shazam WW>.

on the other extreme there is @TMP thread. I myself joined only after initial reviews came in and i could see the buzz. Kudos to believers of this even if the club does not succeed. its WW numbers will be phenomenal.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, TheDarkKnightOfSteel said:

A political drama where Lois Lane tries to uncover how corrupted Lex Luthor, who is the mayor of the city is.The film takes place before Superman makes himself known to the world.Could tackle drugs,trafficking,racism,violence.

Both Lois and Lex have are such great characters that they have a great story to,tell.With a great script this film could really work I think and be another great addition to the the DC Black label.

A film in the vein of say The Social Network etc would be interesting, show Luthor's rise but then the obsession with Superman ends up destroying his relationships and his company. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, narniadis said:

Again, as always the yipping about openings being "amazing" for some and also "meh or average" for others has nothing to do with reality but with unchecked expectations. When the top of the crop behavior wise is expected instead of seen as a surprise its no wonder some yip. If we are blessed with a 100m opening its great, if its 90m+ than its still great given expectations everywhere else but the crazies here. 

i feel like there's only been like 4 movies this year where BOT would come to a consensus that an opening weekend was great and nobody was like "hmmm.... i expected more" this happens so goddamn much.

Just got back from Joker. One of the worst theater experiences of my life.

So I walked in the auditorium, not many people believe it or not. Found my assigned seat with my popcorn and snuck in soda.

Lots of ads of course. Then the trailers start. First was Knives Out, looked okay. Then I saw a promo for Kingsman which I'm excited for. Then some movie about Hansel and Gretel, looked dumb tbh. Saw a trailer for 1917, probably won't see it. Then that Clint Eastwood movie, I'm honestly surprised he's still making films, he has to be 100 at this point. Then ANOTHER trailer for Knives Out for some unknown reason, not even the same trailer but a different version. And then Zombieland 2.

After that trailer, the movie started and my eyes were reveled in horror.

The Birds of Prey trailer didn't play.

I started to panic, sweating, hyperventilation, increased heart rate, you name it. Distraught by the injustice I ran out the theater and made my way to the front desk. Letting them know the atrocity that just took place. I demanded they play the trailer. But they said no because the film is already 4 minutes in. 

I ran home as fast as I could, tears running down my face, head just spinning. I busted my own front door down and sprinted to my room. Falling face first on the bed, crying for 5 hours. After my tear ducts were drier than the Sahara. I phone WB and asked them why they did not attach the BoP trailer to my showing, they told me it was out of their control and to not call them again. I threw my phone right against the wall in anger, fear, and regret.

Trying my best to deal with the trauma I've endured, I decided to set up a lawsuit against Warner Bros and AMC theaters. I'm thinking about expanding it to a class action suit in case anyone else suffered like I have tonight.

I'll be in my bathtub, crying while I play the BoP trailer on loop on my tablet. :(  

• Haha 14
  • Astonished 1

54 minutes ago, TheDarkKnightOfSteel said:

This is a great idea! I'd be on board.

Question for you: what do you think of the new Batman movie(s) being part of the "DC Black label"? I doubt WB would do it, as Batman is one of their cash cows and they'd want to make the movies as accessible as possible, but as we all know Batman more than any other major comic character lends himself well to that kind of tone. I also desperately want Reeves' Batman to be connected to Joker, even if the characters obviously never cross paths. I like the idea of Fleck's Joker being the original inspiration for another Joker who goes on to become Batman's foil.

Edited by JB33
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, LOGAN'sLuckyRun said:

So I walked in the auditorium, not many people believe it or not. Found my assigned seat with my popcorn and snuck in soda.

Lots of ads of course. Then the trailers start. First was Knives Out, looked okay. Then I saw a promo for Kingsman which I'm excited for. Then some movie about Hansel and Gretel, looked dumb tbh. Saw a trailer for 1917, probably won't see it. Then that Clint Eastwood movie, I'm honestly surprised he's still making films, he has to be 100 at this point. Then ANOTHER trailer for Knives Out for some unknown reason, not even the same trailer but a different version. And then Zombieland 2.

I started to panic, sweating, hyperventilation, increased heart rate, you name it. Distraught by the injustice I ran out the theater and made my way to the front desk. Letting them know the atrocity that just took place. I demanded they play the trailer. But they said no because the film is already 4 minutes in. 

I ran home as fast as I could, tears running down my face, head just spinning. I busted my own front door down and sprinted to my room. Falling face first on the bed, crying for 5 hours. After my tear ducts were drier than the Sahara. I phone WB and asked them why they did not attach the BoP trailer to my showing, they told me it was out of their control and to not call them again. I threw my phone right against the wall in anger, fear, and regret.

Trying my best to deal with the trauma I've endured, I decided to set up a lawsuit against Warner Bros and AMC theaters. I'm thinking about expanding it to a class action suit in case anyone else suffered like I have tonight.

I'll be in my bathtub, crying while I play the BoP trailer on loop on my tablet. :(  

uncool of you to reveal what makes joaquin phoenix snap and turn into the joker. spoilers everywhere in this thread smh.

• Haha 7
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, JB33 said:

This is a great idea! I'd be on board.

Question for you: what do you think of the new Batman movie(s) being part of the "DC Black label"? I doubt WB would do it, as Batman is one of their cash cows and they'd want to make the movies as accessible as possible, but as we all know Batman more than any other major comic character lends himself well to that kind of tone. I also desperately want Reeves' Batman to be connected to Joker, even if the characters obviously never cross paths. I like the idea of Fleck's Joker being the original inspiration for another Joker who goes on to become Batman's foil.

Gotham is a unique world that can be depicted as the shithole that it is but still make an accessible movie around it.The idea that Reeves is making a noir Batman film has me beyond excited but I know that they won’t ever let it be Rated R and make it a “DC Black” film.That being said,I hope to god they will push the limits of PG-13 as much as they can.

As for it being connected to this Joker...I would obviously love to see Joaquin return but we all know that’s never gonna happen.But your idea of another Joker is actually a good one.I was actually thinking about it but in this world Bruce has some good 20+ years before returning to Gotham and becoming Batman.Buy then Joaquin’s Joker will be an old man.

Edited by TheDarkKnightOfSteel
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, LOGAN'sLuckyRun said:

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, LOGAN'sLuckyRun said:

bf6JDIC.gif

WITHOUT BoP TRAILER,

JOKER HAS NO PUNCHLINE

(if you look closely, you can see Harley Quinn taking off with the trailer in the background.  That scamp :ph34r:)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

I was gonna stay out, but c'mon.  Normally, we see a lot of hyperbole on the board, but this is LITERALLY an amazing opening.

1st, it's record-breaking for the month.  

2nd, it wasn't made AS a blockbuster.  This had no blockbuster budget.  In a year where NOTHING has opened huge that didn't have a blockbuster budget (maybe I'll give you Us - but this will out open Us by $30M in OW), that's huge.

3rd, it's a stand alone - nothing led into this movie.  This isn't in some DCEU universe.  Heck, it actually had the reverse, having to break from a past universe and character, since there was a well received Joker character only 3 years ago.

4th, it's rated R.  Of supers openers rated R that aren't a straight comedy, this will be the top.  At least $15M above Logan...and again, Logan was an ending of a well-received trilogy.

So, in sum, this open is a damn triumph.  And as a supers fan, I'm excited to see it.  And as a not "same old, same old" fan, I'm dang happy it happened on a movie which didn't just embrace the same tropes and tones:)...

Fair enough to me 90m if that what it does, 5m more than expectations doesn't shock and awe. That said sure doesn't look like it's gonna be lower than 100m (which is A++) with numbers going up every hour. Happy to concede defeat regardless of number. 

• Like 2