Eric Atreides

JOKER WEEKEND THREAD | 96M DOM, 151 OS, 247M WW (October Record all around) | ***NO SPOILERS*** | SALE LIVE: Monthly Premium Account 50% off, Monthly Gold Account $5 Off

6 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

After this opening, and looking at how Justice League and Shazam performed, I don't know how can anyone still say that DC movies should be childish, dumb fun. Audiences clearly want something different from DC. There's a reason DCEU movies started bombing after Warner Bros decided to take on a different direction than what fans wanted.

Justice League flopped because BvS was awful.

Shazam got released between Capt Marvel and EG - both films which had huge hype and anticipation.

DCEU should make any kind of movie they want. Joker obviously works as dark and serious while Aquaman wouldn't. So they made the right call to treat one like a Scorcese movie and another like a Marvel movie. It's really how Marvel operates too. TWS is very different from GOTG. You just have to find what tone works for what story/character. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

After this opening, and looking at how Justice League and Shazam performed, I don't know how can anyone still say that DC movies should be childish, dumb fun. Audiences clearly want something different from DC. There's a reason DCEU movies started bombing after Warner Bros decided to take on a different direction than what fans wanted.

I liked Shazam but sometimes it felt a bit too campy and "Try hard". Hope they tone it down a bit for the future

• Knock It Off 1

3 hours ago, mikee11 said:

Because when Scorsese finally sees the cinematic diamond mine that is GOTG 2 his perceptions about wghat is and what isn't cinema will be shattered

GOTG 2 is one of the best films in the MCU.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Aquaman is your highest grossing film though.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Not sure why they think releasing two Indian blockbuster within the same week is a wise choice as that will distract income among diaspora,

It's from different film industries. One is from Bollywood while other is south Indian movie

50 minutes ago, John Marston said:

I liked Shazam but sometimes it felt a bit too campy and "Try hard". Hope they tone it down a bit for the future

That’s exactly how I felt about Thor Ragnarok. Constant jokes that never landed for me. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Disbelief 1

1 hour ago, TMP said:

BvS and Suicide Squad were both childish and dumb too, but they made money... ditto aquaman

Difference being BvS and to a slightly lesser extent SS were produced, packaged and distributed as if they were more. AQM embraced the stupidity and married it with great action and spectacle and the money followed. 

• Astonished 1

2 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

and that is now a modern classic 

Yep. Divisive doesn't mean without passion. WOWS got C+ and it didn't hurt its legs. people who loved it, spread the word among likeminds. That's all that is. Right people hear right things, go see the movie, spread the WOM among right people, rinse repeat. We'll see how it goes with Joker but B+ is not necessarily a sign of bad legs nor are As sure sign of good ones. 

6 hours ago, Sheikh said:

The top 10 based on industry estimates:

BOX OFFICE FOR oCT. 4-6

thumb rank film dis. screens (chg) friday(vs. prev fri) 3-day total wk
rev-1-jok-04429_high_res_jpeg-e156988374 1 Joker WB/VR/Bron 4,374 $39.8M $94M $94M 1
ab3.jpg?resize=500%2C281 2 Abominable DWA/Pearl/Uni 4,248 (+6) $2.8M (-50%) $12M (-42%) $37.8M 2
4127_d031_00209_r1567531003.jpg?resize=5 3 Downton Abbey Focus 3,548 (+158) $2.5M (-43%) $8.4M (-42%) $74M 3
hustlers-e1568360149891.jpg?resize=500%2 4 Hustlers STX 3,030 (-478) $2M (-45%) $6.2M (-46%)  $91.2M 4
rev-1-it2-trlr-0002_high_res_jpeg.jpeg?r 5 It Chapter 2 NL/WB 3,163 (-448) $1.4M (-50%) $4.9M (-52%) $201.7M 5
df-01133fd_r.jpg?resize=500%2C281 6 Ad Astra Fox/Dis 2,910 (-550) $1.3M (-55%) $4.4M (-56%) $43.6M 3
judy-2-e1569549898252.jpg?resize=500%2C2 7 Judy RSA 1,458 (+997) $1.3M (+50%) $4.1M (+41%) $8.6M 2
rambo-ii.jpg?resize=500%2C281 8 Rambo: Last Blood Mill/LG 2,900 (-718) $1.1M (-55%) $3.9M (-55%) $40.1M 3
war.png?resize=500%2C281 9 War YRF 360 $500K $1.6M $2.1M 1
sye-raa-live-updates-1200.jpg?resize=500 10 Sye Raa… IND 310 $310K $1M $2.3M

You know, Downton Abbey had a great week and a nice weekend hold...it seems like its $100M DOM chances might be more alive than previously thought after OW...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, TwoMisfits said:

You know, Downton Abbey had a great week and a nice weekend hold...it seems like its $100M DOM chnaces might be more alive than previously thought after OW...

Hustle and DA back to back success prove that drama fare is still here to thrive. 

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

DCEU should make any kind of movie they want. Joker obviously works as dark and serious while Aquaman wouldn't. So they made the right call to treat one like a Scorcese movie and another like a Marvel movie. It's really how Marvel operates too. TWS is very different from GOTG. You just have to find what tone works for what story/character. 

I wanna like this post 100 times, but I'm out of likes...

It can't be said enough - MAKE THE MOVIE TONE FIT THE CHARACTER:)...don't have the same tone and concept for every super b/c they are all different:).  It lets you tell worlds of different stories in all different ways...and it's the most satisfying for the fans!

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 2