Eric Atreides

JOKER WEEKEND THREAD | 96M DOM, 151 OS, 247M WW (October Record all around) | ***NO SPOILERS*** | SALE LIVE: Monthly Premium Account 50% off, Monthly Gold Account $5 Off

2 hours ago, Napoleon said:

After this opening, and looking at how Justice League and Shazam performed, I don't know how can anyone still say that DC movies should be childish, dumb fun. Audiences clearly want something different from DC. There's a reason DCEU movies started bombing after Warner Bros decided to take on a different direction than what fans wanted.

Except they only did this with JL and SS

10 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

I wanna like this post 100 times, but I'm out of likes...

It can't be said enough - MAKE THE MOVIE TONE FIT THE CHARACTER:)...don't have the same tone and concept for every super b/c they are all different:).  It lets you tell worlds of different stories in all different ways...and it's the most satisfying for the fans!

Yep and that is why the "prophecized" SH fatigue hasn't happened yet. Different concepts, different tone, etc within the same genre keep things fresh and new. like any other genre. 

1 hour ago, John Marston said:

I liked Shazam but sometimes it felt a bit too campy and "Try hard". Hope they tone it down a bit for the future

Its was superhero movie with bunch of kids you dab hater

Edited by NamakFiskKa
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
21 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Yep and that is why the "prophecized" SH fatigue hasn't happened yet. Different concepts, different tone, etc within the same genre keep things fresh and new. like any other genre. 

I don't mean to make this sound like franchise war material, I'm just genuinely curious... Is the tone really that different in 90% or better of the MCU movies? Again, not talking setting or premise, but actual tone.

I find it's pretty much identical throughout. Which is one of the reasons I think the MCU is as successful, actually. It helps even more with the idea that this is all one massive universe, and it's comforting for general audiences. They know what to expect for the most part. And because they were the first to do it, it works for them, whereas anyone coming after will inevitably be playing catch up and come across as imitation... 

Again, I am not necessarily saying it's a bad thing. But because the MCU has been so consistent in tone and visual style for the most part, I've always felt DC should have gone the Elseworlds route from the very beginning for their big team ups, as well as stand alone for their most popular characters, thus allowing for variety both in their own releases, as well as the grander comicbook movie tapestry. 

1 hour ago, Krissykins said:

That’s exactly how I felt about Thor Ragnarok. Constant jokes that never landed for me. 

But Thor Ragnarok is funny. 😑

Edited by Nero

@reddevil19 I get what you are saying and I think that they manage to make different movies within the universe that feels like the same universe but movies aren't samey if you get what I'm saying. I think that one of the biggest accomplishments of that shared universe is that they created tonal distinctions between characters (except Thor, I really think they are all over the place with that one) so much so that they have their own specific brands of humor that are not like other character's brand of humor. For example, Cynical Tony and manchild Quill are different from each other and other characters. And that comes across in solo movies and especially last 2 team movies that balanced those differences really well. 

Edited by Valonqar
11 minutes ago, sfran43 said:

Would Joker grossing $90M+ instead of $100M+ mean it's front loaded or  average?

100mil off a 13.3mil previews and 26.6mil Friday means that it increases Saturday and stays at that lvl on Sunday.

Edited by Ledmonkey96
  • Like 1
5 minutes ago, sfran43 said:

Would Joker grossing $90M+ instead of $100M+ mean it's front loaded or  average?

If it only hits 91M it'll be as front-loaded as Endgame. I think it'll do better than that, my guess is 95M, but if the younger demos come out in force it could surprise to the upside on Saturday (under 25s rated the movie the most highly by a big margin, but they were in the minority compared to 25+, there's room for them to come out given how strong the WOM is in that demo and push the film higher Saturday). Still quite front-loaded from an internal multiplier perspective but that shouldn't be surprising. Internal multis should not be compared to R-rated dramas/thrillers, this is first and foremost a movie about the Joker. All things considered, just normal CBM frontloading

• Thanks 1