Eric Duncan

JOKER WEEKEND THREAD | 96M DOM, 151 OS, 247M WW (October Record all around) | ***NO SPOILERS*** | SALE LIVE: Monthly Premium Account 50% off, Monthly Gold Account $5 Off

5 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

I will say that there is a needle drop in the film that is IMO horrifically bad and completely destroys what would otherwise be a big moment in the film

So annoying when that happens. Still hoping for 15+ previews and 100+ OW

8 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Feel like we won't get a clear picture as to what the reception for Joker is like until we see what the drop next weekend looks like.

Might even have to wait till third or fourth weekend drops as there are A LOT of showings tonight and somewhat into the weekend itself.  Far more than demand justifies, in my opinion.  Could be that a ton of demand will be burnt this weekend/Tuesday, leading to a larger than expected drop before stabilizing to a fairly decent run when all is said and done.

(also, Joker loses PLF to Gemini Man for the most part next week, if not entirely)

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Feel like we won't get a clear picture as to what the reception for Joker is like until we see what the drop next weekend looks like.

I can see wom being mixed for the movie depending on what you went into the movie expecting.

But what I can say is that after watching it I think wom will be better then I originally thought after seeing all the controversy on social media. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Might even have to wait till third or fourth weekend drops as there are A LOT of showings tonight and somewhat into the weekend itself.  Far more than demand justifies, in my opinion.  Could be that a ton of demand will be burnt this weekend/Tuesday, leading to a larger than expected drop before stabilizing to a fairly decent run when all is said and done.

(also, Joker loses PLF to Gemini Man for the most part next week, if not entirely)

To make an addendum to this, since this is the only new wide film this week and with some tepid holdovers, I understand why theaters went nuts with showtimes, especially tonight. 

But in retrospect, there clearly was room for another film to open wide this weekend and counter-program against Joker much like A Star is Born did against Venom last year at the same time.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, cax16 said:

I can see wom being mixed for the movie depending on what you went into the movie expecting.

But what I can say is that after watching it I think wom will be better then I originally thought after seeing all the controversy on social media. 

Honestly between the marketing and the controversy I'm pretty sure everyone heading into this knows exactly what they're getting. Ads alone makes it clear that this isn't a Batman movie.

Just now, filmlover said:

Honestly between the marketing and the controversy I'm pretty sure everyone heading into this knows exactly what they're getting. Ads alone makes it clear that this isn't a Batman movie.

Maybe, I heard some dumb complaints on the way out of the movie but that could of just been at my showing.

Given Joker is a one and done film, I wonder if WB have a follow up of some sort in the pipeline. I think Blackhawk which they announced last year could be it and I imagine if Spielberg ends up directing then it'll be greenlit fairly quickly.

11 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Most people ignore Twitter, at "best" they would be aware of same vague security threat since it has been reported in the news.

It is true that the trailer and marketing give a good idea what kind of movie it is, but I'm still waiting for the reports of children disappointed and crying because Batman wasn't in the movie.

37 minutes ago, filmlover said:

On the contrary, I would wait until weekend 3. Weekend 2 I think will definitely be steeper than 'usual' due to fan rush. That being said, if it's 70+ than I would say yea ok probably not great reception. But it's worth thinking about.

32 minutes ago, Porthos said:

To make an addendum to this, since this is the only new wide film this week and with some tepid holdovers, I understand why theaters went nuts with showtimes, especially tonight. 

But in retrospect, there clearly was room for another film to open wide this weekend and counter-program against Joker much like A Star is Born did against Venom last year at the same time.

Judy is going wide this weekend so it should somewhat play the counter-programming role. However, like you said, another new wide release could have easily been there.

Edited by JB33

20 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Judy is going wide this weekend so it should somewhat play the counter-programming role. However, like you said, another new wide release could have easily been there.

*checks*

Judy looks to be around 1400+ according to BOM.  Not wide-wide, though I see what you mean.  No, I was more talking about a 3000+ screen release type thing, though Judy absolutely does fit the bill for counter-programming. 

3 minutes ago, Porthos said:

*checks*

Judy looks to be around 1400+ according to BOM.  Not wide-wide, though I see what you mean.  No, I was more talking about a 3000+ screen release type thing, though Judy absolutely does fit the bill for counter-programming. 

GRANDMA AND I ARE GOING FIRST THING (AKA THE 12:20 SHOW) TOMORROW.

EVENT OF THE SEASON.

judy garland spin GIF

• Like 3

Joker - Tracking Thread Estimates
Tracker Region Estimate
@captainwondyful Lincoln Square 13 15.16
@captainwondyful Southern Maine Cinemagic 11.39
@DAJK Victoria 11.7
@EarlyDeadlinePredictions Montrael 14
@Eric! Philadelphia 15
@FlashMaster659 Inland Empire 11.5
@Inceptionzq Denver 11.3
@keysersoze123 AMC 25 15
@Menor Cinemark 11.5
@Porthos Sacramento 11
@TalismanRing NYC Local 12.51
@VenomXXR Willowbrook 24 11.8
Tracking Thread Average 12.66

Deadline has nothing on us.

Edited by captainwondyful
added DAJK!!
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 5
  • Astonished 3

15 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

GRANDMA AND I ARE GOING FIRST THING (AKA THE 12:20 SHOW) TOMORROW.

EVENT OF THE SEASON.

judy garland spin GIF

I love going to the movies with my great aunt (82)

Past two years we've gone to see Lego Batman, John Wick 2, Wonder Woman, Despicable Me 3, Cars 3, Logan, Black Panther and Deadpool 2.  (She enjoyed all of them except Batman, haha)

But she's sick/bedridden now so we can't do stuff like that no more. :( 

Edited by LOGAN'sLuckyRun
  • Sad 10

HAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHSHAHAHAHAHSHAHHAHAHAHSHAHSHSHSHSHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHSHSHAHSHSHSHSHSHSHSHSHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHSHSHSHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

just got out of Joker. The crowd applauded at the end.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

HAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHSHAHAHAHAHSHAHHAHAHAHSHAHSHSHSHSHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHSHSHAHSHSHSHSHSHSHSHSHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHSHSHSHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

You need to work on your evil laugh, bud.

A for effort tho.

Edited by LOGAN'sLuckyRun

1 hour ago, LOGAN'sLuckyRun said:

I love going to the movies with my great aunt (82)

Past two years we've gone to see Lego Batman, John Wick 2, Wonder Woman, Despicable Me 3, Cars 3, Logan and Deadpool 2.  (She enjoyed all of them except Batman, haha)

But she's sick/bedridden now so we can't do stuff like that no more. :( 

Aww. I am so sorry. I hope she gets better. Or maybe Netflix together?

My grandmother is 90, and she hates everything we go see.  I am -not- allowed to pick movies anymore cause I want to go see all that -weird- stuff. We drag her anyway to get out of the house. It’s that or sitting in the couch watching Matlock. We use to watch SVU, but she doesn’t like Olivia anymore, and she refuses to watch the Golden Girls, because she thinks Blanche is a slut. 

Edited by captainwondyful
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3