Eric Atreides

JOKER WEEKEND THREAD | 96M DOM, 151 OS, 247M WW (October Record all around) | ***NO SPOILERS*** | SALE LIVE: Monthly Premium Account 50% off, Monthly Gold Account $5 Off

2 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

It will stretch to more audiences than CBMs but not like standard r rated drama. It's about a homicidal criminal in a clown costume who is a comic book villain. Narrows the demographic but the incredible wom and uniqueness helps it more than traditional cbms. Kinda like EG definitely stretched beyond what even IW did. IMO if course.

Does it, though? R rated dramas don't usually do 200+ million. I'd say it's the other way around - a broader demo than typical psychological dramas, but narrower by far than what you would get with the top level cbms. 

3 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

Does it, though? R rated dramas don't usually do 200+ million. I'd say it's the other way around - a broader demo than typical psychological dramas, but narrower by far than what you would get with the top level cbms. 

It's absolutely more narrow than standard rate r drama critically acclaimed amazing wom films. Broader than almost all cbm films? Yep.

Curious on repeat value. 

Edited by cdsacken

17 minutes ago, The Panda said:

I expect bad legs are in store for Joker, after seeing it, it seems way too bleak to play well with the GA.

I think a 60%+ drop could happen next weekend

It was the safest possible Joker film that could have been made. I don't know why people are acting like its a Gasper Noe film. It's very clearly plays out like a commercial film with some "dark" and "serious" texture on top. And a B+ audience score and the OS WoM shows that it plays very well with the GA.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

It was the safest possible Joker film that could have been made. I don't know why people are acting like its a Gasper Noe film. It's very clearly plays out like a commercial film with some "dark" and "serious" texture on top. And a B+ audience score and the OS WoM shows that it plays very well with the GA.

Really? I would have thought it was not safe. Seems to me they took a lot of risks but I haven't seen it yet. Risks that were rewarded. You would know better than me though. Can't wait to see it next week.

2 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

For now.  They'll do some kind of terrible Hocus Pocus remake for October that'll bring all the 90's nostalgia.  

They will fall, endgame was where they peaked, it’s downhill from here 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

For now.  They'll do some kind of terrible Hocus Pocus remake for October that'll bring all the 90's nostalgia.  

Wasn't there talk of an actual Hocus Pocus sequel a while ago lol? Speaking of which how dumb is it that they released that movie in July. Movie's become as much of a Halloween staple as the horror movie named after the holiday has.

12 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

It's absolutely more narrow than standard rate r drama critically acclaimed amazing wom films. Broader than almost all cbm films? Yep.

Curious on repeat value. 

I think it's repeat value may be a lot higher that I originally thought, not necessarily for "the feels," but because of the, uhm... tricksy nature of the film. I definitely want to see it again for that reason, and a lot of the people I saw it with expressed the same desire.

Was surprised that BOP wasn't attached to the print at my theater. Instead we got previews for The Good Liar and Just Mercy, which seems odd, although one of my friends thought that was intentional, like the lack of the DC logo. Did other folks get the BOP trailer?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Ehhh, I disagree there.  A B+ audience score is typically bad for a comic book movie.

And it’s definitely bleak compared to any typical blockbuster.  Few moments of levity and it lacks a clear “root for” character.

24 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

Really? I would have thought it was not safe. Seems to me they took a lot of risks but I haven't seen it yet. Risks that were rewarded. You would know better than me though. Can't wait to see it next week.

They really didn't. It's still a very blockbuster-y film with a bleak tone on top of it. People were even clapping towards the end in my screening. I think it'll play more like It (which was also very much a blockbuster film compared to other horror films and also dark for a blockbuster film) than any other comps.