Eric Atreides

JOKER WEEKEND THREAD | 96M DOM, 151 OS, 247M WW (October Record all around) | ***NO SPOILERS*** | SALE LIVE: Monthly Premium Account 50% off, Monthly Gold Account $5 Off

6 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

People literally said that with both the first Avengers film and with Infinity War

Even if Endgame is where they peaked, this is hardly bad given how huge Endgame was. Every other studio would love to go "downhill" from there. Alas, Disney haters have to find comfort wherever they can. 

Edited by Ororo Munroe
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

It was the safest possible Joker film that could have been made. I don't know why people are acting like its a Gasper Noe film. 

Because they've never seen a non-safe film before.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • ...wtf 1

14 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

Can't understand how birds of prey trailer wasn't in every single theater. Huge missed opportunity.

Absolutely agree from a marketing standpoint, but looking at it artistically, it was a pretty ballsy move. The WB trailers reminded me of the movies they used to make back in the 70's and 80's, and the inspired use of the old red and black 'Warner Communications' logo basically said, "Welcome to an age before heroes."

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, 75Live said:

I really enjoyed Joker.  Got the BoP trailer and the Star Wars saga trailer so those were pluses too.

You DID get BOP? Ha, okay there's goes my theory. I guess it was just the luck of the draw.

44 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Not a fan of Sin City much, but I'd say that's more deviant in just about every way than Joker. Could argue Watchmen to an extent too. 

People would have you think this is Anti- Christ or House That Jack Built. It's pretty tame. Otherwise, it wouldn't be palatable to a huge audience.

I think aesthetic and its portrayal of a recognizable, realistic, early-80's city in the midst or a bad economy, with crippling debt and poverty does make Joker a bit more unsettling than those movies, which always feel fantastical, separated from reality. Their grim worlds were horrible, sure, and more disturbing than Joker's, but it always felt like THEIR world, separate from ours, whereas Joker's does feel more adjacent to our own. 

2 hours ago, Firepower said:

This is not your typical comic book movie, far from that, Marvel/Dinsey crowdpleaser grade is not applied here.

The inflated comic book movie grades tend to come from the fans rushing to see the film on opening night (when cinemascore is surveyed).

Joker is certainly not exempt from that trend.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, The Panda said:

The inflated comic book movie grades tend to come from the fans rushing to see the film on opening night (when cinemascore is surveyed).

Joker is certainly not exempt from that trend.

But Joker is not your typical Disney crowdpleaser, fan rush or not.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Firepower said:

But Joker is not your typical Disney crowdpleaser, fan rush or not.

But it is still a CBM and subject to the fan rush as evidenced by the frontloaded nature of Previews to full opening day. 

Same issue with CinemaScore

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, narniadis said:

But it is still a CBM and subject to the fan rush as evidenced by the frontloaded nature of Previews to full opening day. 

Same issue with CinemaScore

This is also anecdotal but the comment I heard after my screening was

”That was rough to watch and not what I was expecting from a Batman movie”

This is different from Logan and Deadpool which were R-Rated supes films with  clear heroes to root for, and even Venom (which was a light and campy anti-hero film).  Joker in this movie is a clear villainous character about to be unhinged, the bleak and unsentinmental tone of the film could be a turn off to non-fans who weren’t expecting this.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

Joker does have a lack of competition to its advantage. Gemini Man might've been but weak reviews spell doom for an original sci-fi.

I think weak WOM is more dangerous for original Sci-do than reviews. Feel like Gemini will have much better wom than Astra for example