Eric Duncan

JOKER WEEKEND THREAD | 96M DOM, 151 OS, 247M WW (October Record all around) | ***NO SPOILERS*** | SALE LIVE: Monthly Premium Account 50% off, Monthly Gold Account $5 Off

Joker ...oh man. I need time. Very good, but (does this even need to be said??) you don't come out of it feeling very good. 

I'll say this: while I still feel that the concern trolling and fear mongering about violence as a result of this movie is just that, after watching it I kind of get why some are concerned. It likely hits home for a lot of people. The fact that many people can relate to Arthur Fleck is scary and depressing. This is something my girlfriend said after coming out of rut he movie. She said she felt sick to her stomach and depressed because she couldn't help but sympathize indeed with the central character. Nobody wants to feel that way about a psychotic killer. The film is emotionally manipulative in that way.

It's a masterpiece in filmmaking. It's a film that makes you think and feel so many different things. That's why I need time. 

• Like 10

Be Kind Rewind just posted a 20 minute companion video to Judy, and I'm like, this is why you're my favorite Channel on YouTube.  I'm just going to link it, cause it does spoiler the movie, including the ending, but like, the level of STANNING in this is glorious.  Even If I disagree with her on her complaints about the film, mostly that it should have been a more standard biopic, and that they should have dubbed Renee.  But she did make a good point: The lack of backstory/establishing Judy Garland as a legend didn't bother me, because I know Judy Garland and her history.  So I wonder if that will affect others opinions on it?

Edited by captainwondyful
  • Thanks 3
  • Astonished 1

Just now, TheDarkKnightOfSteel said:

Between Venom and Logan is where I think it will land.

Enough for WB to fudge $100m? Please, I need that club to succeed, my children are starving 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

Be Kind Rewind just posted a 20 minute companion video to Judy, and I'm like, this is why you're my favorite Channel on YouTube.  I'm just going to link it, cause it does spoiler the movie, including the ending, but like, the level of STANNING in this is glorious.  Even If I disagree with her on her complaints about the film, mostly that it should have been a more standard biopic, and that they should have dubbed Renee.  But she did make a good point.  The last of backstory/establishing Judy Garland as a legend didn't both me, because I know Judy Garland and her history.  So I wonder if that will affect others opinions on it?

not gonna watch it because probably i'll watch the movie soon-ish but i just wanna co-sign that this is one of the best youtube film essay channels. i enjoy all her videos. unlike a lot of worse film essay video people you can tell it's all very well researched.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

Be Kind Rewind just posted a 20 minute companion video to Judy, and I'm like, this is why you're my favorite Channel on YouTube.  I'm just going to link it, cause it does spoiler the movie, including the ending, but like, the level of STANNING in this is glorious.  Even If I disagree with her on her complaints about the film, mostly that it should have been a more standard biopic, and that they should have dubbed Renee.  But she did make a good point.  The last of backstory/establishing Judy Garland as a legend didn't both me, because I know Judy Garland and her history.  So I wonder if that will affect others opinions on it?

Was going to watch The Joker tomorrow but you’ve sold me. I’m watching the other movie that starts with a J tomorrow 😎

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

not gonna watch it because probably i'll watch the movie soon-ish but i just wanna co-sign that this is one of the best youtube film essay channels. i enjoy all her videos. unlike a lot of worse film essay video people you can tell it's all very well researched.

I am thiiiiis close to pitching in to her patreon.  I mean, the content is so good:

Edited by captainwondyful

18 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

YESSS. Saw the movie yesterday, but I haven't watched this yet. But BKR is one of like 7 YouTube movie channels that are actually good, and I'm happy I'm not the only one here who watches her.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

I’m actually glad they picked a time period and stuck with it. Let’s Renee get more into the character at a certain point and her mannerisms. 

a full life biopic would’ve been a bit Lifetime-esque. 

Loved Judy. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Krissykins said:

a full life biopic would’ve been a bit Lifetime-esque. 

They literally did that.  Judy Collins in Me and My Shadows.  Well it's comprehensives, it's not necessarily good.  It's falls into the biopic trap of feeling like a recap of her life than anything else.  Also the sound mixing on the production is terrible so when they use Garland's voice for dubbing, it's soooo clearly dubbed that I find it distracting.  I would rather have it be Renee singing, even if she's NOT Judy Garland, because as let Renee singing felt like Judy's essence.  I really felt her Come Rain or Shine.  Also, at that point in Garland's career, her voice was in rough, rough shape. So Renee being off isn't really inaccurate.  

1 hour ago, Nova said:

I think you’re miss understanding my point. We have all agreed that the reason why the majority of CBM get such high cinemascores relative to other genres is because there is a fan rush component that drives that score up. All I am saying is that Joker is a CBM. Joker’s IM is 3x from previews to OD. Which tells me there was a fan rush to see it. For whatever reason whether it’s too dark, a drama, no action etc the fans who rushed out to see it gave it a B+ according to CinemaScore. I just personally expected higher given the amount of rave reviews the movie has gotten. 

I think discrepancy was coming from different demos

according to Posttrack exist polls audiences under 25 rated it at 95%, and audiences over 25 rated it at 79%. The under 25 demo is probably what's dominating RT and IMDB. But Cinemascore is able to get a good mix of both. 

Edited by RealLyre

1 hour ago, captainwondyful said:

Nice! I discovered Be Kind Rewind not too long ago, and have been following her content for a while now. She's among the best as far movie analysis on youtube goes. Her videos are really well-researched. 

I actually just got out of the theater for Judy, and absolutely adored it. Renee was fantastic, I was even in tears by the end. I don't agree with the assessment that she needed to be dubbed though, I thought her singing voice was perfect for what the film was trying to convey, but everything else BKR said is solid. 

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 2

Saw it yesterday and liked it. My friend on the other hand loved it (even more than Endgame and he wanted to see it a second time which he doesn't do with movies). Theatre was almost full on Sat morning which is quite good considering its the 4th day of release here. 

Joaquin Phoenix’s is incredible in this. His performance really deserves all the praise. 

• Like 4