Eric Atreides

JOKER WEEKEND THREAD | 96M DOM, 151 OS, 247M WW (October Record all around) | ***NO SPOILERS*** | SALE LIVE: Monthly Premium Account 50% off, Monthly Gold Account $5 Off

30 minutes ago, Essem said:

I cant help but wonder if this Joker was the first Joker on screen after TDK how much it would have made. Did Suicide Squad's Joker help or work against this. I feel without SS this would have made even more bonkers money on OW.

Honestly I think SS had very little effect on this movie's box office. No one talks about that movie anymore (one way or another) other than internet geeks like myself, or WatchMojo

• Like 3

Just now, DAJK said:

Honestly I think SS had very little effect on this movie's box office. No one talks about that movie anymore (one way or another) other than internet geeks like myself, or WatchMojo

Who talks about watchmojo though? 👀

• Haha 1

gosh what was the last movie i saw dane dehaan in? been a minute.

edit: it was knight of cups according to wikipedia but i have no recollection of him being in that. it's malick so i'm sure he's just sorta in the background of one shot or something.

Edited by CoolioD1

3 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

gosh what was the last movie i saw dane dehaan in? been a minute.

edit: it was knight of cups according to wikipedia but i have no recollection of him being in that. it's malick so i'm sure he's just sorta in the background of one shot or something.

Literally this. Not making it up. That is exactly what his screentime in that movie is.

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I imagine whatever Phillips and/or Cooper have planned to do next will be greenlit by Warner Bros ASAP. 

I didn't even knew Bradley Cooper was a producer on this. If this gets a Best Picture nomination it will be like his 7th Oscar nomination?

4 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I imagine whatever Phillips and/or Cooper have planned to do next will be greenlit by Warner Bros ASAP. 

joker/star is born were the long con to finally getting hangover 4 greenlit i knew it.

• Haha 10

5 hours ago, filmlover said:

Great expansion for Judy. My audience yesterday was super old so that's a good sign for legs. @WrathOfHan you have been warned.

Renee's performance in it is the real deal though. Movie will likely have strong staying power just for the WOM surrounding her performance alone.

Really? The moment she started to sing...I was out. That was not Judy Garland.

@MCKillswitch123 NOS Cinemas and NOS Audiovisuais must have had some issue with geting more copies for Joker. Cinemas were selling out for the rest of the day at 2 PM and no more shows were added. It probably beat Shazam's total in 4 days here. I think it would have touched 200.000 tickets sold on the 4 days with 2 screens in every NOS Cinema.

We will see the real numbers tomorrow but I expect Joker to easily dominate October and still be at the top by the time we reach the November 1 holiday.

Edited by CJohn
  • Astonished 1

4 minutes ago, Chaz said:

Not even Judy Garland at the tail end of her life? I know Judy's singing from her MGM period exclusively, but watching the movie it was easy for me to imagine Renee's voice as a Judy whose powers had been winnowed down by time and abuse. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, CJohn said:

I didn't even knew Bradley Cooper was a producer on this. If this gets a Best Picture nomination it will be like his 7th Oscar nomination?

8th, he got 3 nominations for ASIB last year. I think Cooper will win an Oscar in the next 5 years, he's slowly building an overdue narrative, he just needs another showy role

Spoiler

btw he deserved to win both in 2018 & 2012 :ph34r:

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Chaz said:

Nah. 

Her body language and performance was 100% Garland at that stage in her life. Come Rain or Come Shine and Over The Rainbow we’re spot on for not “sounding” like Garland. 

The Truth is Liza is the only one that has ever come CLOSE to matching Garland’s tone. Or maybe Jim Bailey. 

And the movie takes place in 1969 as 

16 minutes ago, A Star is Orm said:

Not even Judy Garland at the tail end of her life? I know Judy's singing from her MGM period exclusively, but watching the movie it was easy for me to imagine Renee's voice as a Judy whose powers had been winnowed down by time and abuse. 

Thiiiiiis. This. Even if someone has sounded exactly like Garland, or they had dug up old sound from Garland’s performances, it still would not have sounded like say The Wizard of Oz. By the end of her life, she was basically talk-singing Over The Rainbow. 

41 minutes ago, A Star is Orm said:

Three years before her death: 

God...she was sensational.

Edited by Chaz
  • Like 1
  • Astonished 1