Eric Atreides

JOKER WEEKEND THREAD | 96M DOM, 151 OS, 247M WW (October Record all around) | ***NO SPOILERS*** | SALE LIVE: Monthly Premium Account 50% off, Monthly Gold Account $5 Off

8 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

@TMPNot perfect but AMC did show much stronger hold yesterday. But I dont have raw $ data like charlier or RTH to make accurate estiamte. Still it gave clear data that Sunday hold was much better than estimate. This looks like $24m sunday based on updated studio estimates.

But what is important is this much better hold than norm shows good sign for its legs. Now let us see how monday and most important 2nd friday drop looks like.

Still, clearly your method is a very good indicator. Keep up the good work - it's very much appreciated!

Such a better hold than estimated (well, it's a great hold even in a vacuum, let alone compared to the estimate) does seem to indicate at least a curiosity factor that was sustained throughout the weekend. As you said, this week will tell the story of whether it's more than that and it's actually getting good WOM. Considering how dire the month looks overall, following this movie's progress will probably be the most interesting thing here. lol

3 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

In Japan it could become the highest-grossing solo CBM movie after (Raimi's) Spider-Men!

cover.jpg

Let me double check...

https://www.worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2245909#p2245909

Totals:
¥7.50 billion ($59.2 million) - Spider-Man (2002)
¥7.12 billion ($66.9 million) - Spider-Man 3 (2007)
¥6.70 billion ($61.1 million) - Spider-Man 2 (2004)
¥6.12 billion ($55.3 million) - Avengers: Endgame (2019)
¥3.74 billion ($34.1 million) - Avengers: Infinity War (2018)
¥3.61 billion ($46.2 million) - The Avengers (2012)
¥3.21 billion ($26.0 million) - Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015)
¥3.16 billion ($39.1 million) - The Amazing Spider-Man (2012)
¥3.14 billion ($30.7 million) - The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (2014)

¥3.03 billion ($27.8 million) - Spider-Man: Far From Home (2019)
¥3.00 billion ($20.0 million) - Batman (1989)
¥2.80 billion ($25.6 million) - Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017)
¥2.63 billion ($24.1 million) - Captain America: Civil War (2016)
¥2.57 billion ($26.4 million) - Iron Man 3 (2013)

Basically all it has to do is cross 3 billion Japanese Yen, which is very possible.

Edited by cannastop

19 minutes ago, HeadShot said:

The truth is that DC will get a hit movie as long as they make it decent with a well known character. Not once have they failed with that. Even panned garbage like Suicide Squad did over 700 million. I'm tired of seeing people act like DC is some underdog. They have a huge library of iconic characters that people are dying to see accurately represented on screen. 90 million for Joker isn't a shocking number - specially in the SH movie era. (Logan another R-rated SH movie opened with similar numbers) Also don't recall anyone laughing at Joker. It's one of their biggest characters - it made perfect sense to make it. 

Comparing DC box office in 2016 and 17 is unfair. Back then dc films were more opening weekend focused and frontloaded due to the massive amounts of fanboy buzz from the new universe they were forming. Justice league and onward is when DC melded to become a more legs focused franchise which is driven by positive wom.

2 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

I think this will get a 3.0 multiplier

Interest in this film is very high and good wom will encourage people to check this out over the next few weeks. 

I know it’s anecdotal evidence but I am in many group conversations across many social media platforms and since it opened last Wednesday here p, Joker has been a prime focus in all of them and many that have no intention of seeing it in theaters and/or generally don’t watch many movies, now want to check it out.Something tells me that legs will be good.I expected that it wouldn’t sit well with the GA but it’s raves everywhere.

1 hour ago, MrGlass2 said:

It really is, never imagined it would get this reception in SK or Japan.

Then there was the DL prediction:

Now I wonder how much it would have made in China.

Most likely not much if they were going to censor the shit out of it. 

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

Abroad response is truly the story here. 

Honestly both are impressive. For me 105m prediction was inaccurate because I thought it was a great case scenario, likely more seems it was the perfect scenario. 9 million off that and 11m above projections? I mean that's pretty good. It's at the point with horrible legs it's doing low 200s domestically.

Edited by cdsacken
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Valonqar said:

Most likely not much if they were going to censor the shit out of it. 

I don't even know how they'd go about censoring it, since it's not the violence or language that would be the issue. It would be turned into a short movie...

Love it! I wish it had managed 100m overall, but not griping about a 2.5m increase. 

Makes the leg topic very interesting. Ignore this coming Fridays drop as that has the previews factored in, but post weekend 2 this could get really interesting and fun to track. 

Warner Bros’ ‘Joker’ Final Number Grows To $96M

https://deadline.com/2019/10/joker-box-office-opening-weekend-1202752002/

UPDATED with final weekend numbers: Warner Bros/Village Roadshow/Bron Studios’ Joker wrapped its record October opening weekend at $96 million, above where the studio saw the pic Sunday.

Warner Bros had predicted a $93.5M Friday-Saturday-Sunday total yesterday, while the town thought north of $95M was a possibility. The studio revealed the final number Monday morning.

10 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

It's going nuts in the UK. I've noticed on twitter that a lot of people who pertained to hate everything the movie (apparently) stood for still ended up seeing it.

Look forward to the Guardian's hot take in the next couple of days.

I'm a Guardian reader, mostly because I just can't fucking stomach any of the other papers, especially in their stances on Brexit and Trump, but by God, their recent turn on Joker was something else.

1 minute ago, reddevil19 said:

I'm a Guardian reader, mostly because I just can't fucking stomach any of the other papers, especially in their stances on Brexit and Trump, but by God, their recent turn on Joker was something else.

Kermode gave it 4/5, so it's not all negative for them

1 minute ago, reddevil19 said:

As far as I can tell the paper's now officially reviewed it three times since Kermode's write-up was added. So that's... 5 stars, 2 stars and 4 stars. :lol: