Eric Duncan

JOKER WEEKEND THREAD | 96M DOM, 151 OS, 247M WW (October Record all around) | ***NO SPOILERS*** | SALE LIVE: Monthly Premium Account 50% off, Monthly Gold Account $5 Off

Just now, TMP said:

Kermode gave it 4/5, so it's not all negative for them

Their initial review was 5*, out of Venice.

But that quickly turned around once the woke twitter response came in:

Oct 1s: Shortcuts Joker strives to capture our cultural moment – but it’s smug and banal at heart
Oct 2nd: Why so stupid: how Joker is too juvenile to be provocative

Oct 3rd: Joker review – the most disappointing film of the year

Oct 4th: Forget Joker: here's the film you should see about an extremist loner

:rofl:They really tried, didn't they?

I expect, as Kermode said, that a backlash against the backlash is starting - especially if audiences are sticking by the movie. If legs turn out alright, expect more and more think pieces about the movie actually nimbly subverting its pro-incel propaganda or some such bullshit. 

• Like 1

JOKER with recent R-rated multis

IT2 2.34x 225 (assuming IT2 ends at 213)

SS 2.43x 233

DP2 2.54x 244

LOGAN 2.56x 246

VENOM 2.66x 255

IT1 2.67x 256

DP1 2.74x 263

Edited by a2k
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

This bit is interesting to me:

Joker played to an ethnically diverse crowd: 44 percent of ticket buyers were Caucasian, followed by Hispanics (24 percent), African-Americans (16 percent) and Asians/Other (14 percent). The majority of the audience (65 percent) was between the ages of 18 and 34.

Clearly a lot of minority incels out there...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

In Greece Joker had a bigger opening than any other comic book movie save Avengers : Endgame.Endgame opened with ~300K admissions vs 158K admission for Joker.Difference is that The tickets tally for Endgame opening includes 8 full days of release with showing starting at 12pm while The Joker number includes 5 days of release with showing starting at 10am.Amazing.PS never hinted that this would happen.

Edit: I also want to add that I went to see this for a second time yesterday and every showing was sold out...on a freaking Sunday.Fucking unbelievable.

Edited by TheDarkKnightOfSteel
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 6

After see joker preview night I figured wom would be better then I originally expected but not to this level and especially not those overseas numbers. It’s insane. I understand it’s the joker and it’s a cbm but it’s definitely not your typical cbm.

It’s going to be really interesting to see the legs for this and what it finishes at. 

JOKER

96 dom + 151 os = 247 ww

MONDAY UPDATE, Refresh for latest: Just as it has domestically, Warner Bros/Village Roadshow/Bron Studios’ Joker has come in higher in the overseas weekend actuals. A huge jump of $10.5M more than projected yesterday has lifted the international box office total to $151M through Sunday. With North America’s tally, the worldwide weekend gross grows to $247M.

https://deadline.com/2019/10/joker-opening-weekend-warner-bros-joaquin-phoenix-global-international-box-office-1202751310/

• Astonished 1

2 minutes ago, AnDr3s said:

first 900m cbm 

:ohmygod:

Let's not go overboard. It's a quarter billion launch, sure, without two major markets until next week, but without China... It would need some amazing legs, to match this mind-blowing launch. Not impossible, but VERY unlikely. This time next week we'll have a better understanding, obviously, but for now, it's an unqualified success, so that's reason enough to celebrate for WB.

Edited by reddevil19
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Valonqar said:

But but I've been told that only incels watch this. Does it mean that - gasp - incels are diverse? ;)

They are quite diverse, some of them are korean, some of them are japanese, some of them are indian, some of them are european, some of them are latin

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

It's going nuts in the UK. I've noticed on twitter that a lot of people who pertained to hate everything the movie (apparently) stood for still ended up seeing it.

Yeh lots of older people at work today said they went to see it at the weekend. 

32 minutes ago, EarlyDeadlinePredictions said:

Lmao at WB being off by 10mil. 

Certainly a nice direction to be off in. Clearly they weren’t expecting these OS numbers 🤑