Grade it  

68 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Great movie and phenomenal performance by Phoenix. Wouldn't call it a masterpiece as the script is pretty on the nose and not really as deep as its wants be. Still, the score, cinematography and Phoenix made this one of the more memorable CBM movies for me. 

8/10 (A-)

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Lucas said:

SPOILER_Screenshot_20191016-011812_Snapc

Clocks appear to be the same at different points during the movie :thinking:

Is left Arkham at the end and right his visit to his social worker?

19 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Is left Arkham at the end and right his visit to his social worker?

Yeah, the clock he beats the shit out of at work is also the same.

43 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Yeah, the clock he beats the shit out of at work is also the same.

Potentially a strong hint that entire thing's a grand delusion? The flash to him violently slamming his head against a glass window in Arkham then later being in the same room at the end is another nod that maybe none of what we're seeing is happening. It's just his delusional projections of people. Note essentially everyone in it is ceaselessly mean or doesn't exist... Note how boorish, violent and awful Tom Wayne us... Note all the reasons(excuses) he gives for himself for morphing into unhinged psychopath... Note how perfectly everythingruthing falls into place for him... Note how completely ridiculous it is they folks start wearing clown masks all over town and the riots reach the fever pitch they hit within minutes of his killing of DeNiro... Note how it shows its cards in a much bigger way at the end when it embraces the surrealism fading to white as he runs around like Bugs Bunny... When I saw it, I assumed Todd Phillips was doing a half-hearted it's a grand delusion and there are smaller delusions within said grand delusion. One giant half-truth or lie. The entire thing is riddled with unreliability. Reveals are undone a few times too. Figure it's all intentional.

Anyway, like everything else in the movie, Phillips doesn't commit fully. So... It's very much left open. It's the read that makes most sense to me given how everything is portrayed in the movie. Just seems to outwardly reflect his madness, his view.

I imagine all clocks ever seen are that time given its done three times that you're aware of...

11:11... Is that the same number that repeats in Us? If so, maybe he's drawing from the same biblical passage.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer