kayumanggi

DHD Friday (03.23) 68.25 M | THE HUNGER GAMES (Crow-serving on-going :))

FRIDAY 4:10 PM, 4TH UPDATE… EXCLUSIVE: My movie studio sources are telling me that the Friday gargantuan opening box office for Lionsgate’s The Hunger Games is ranging from a low of $60M to a high of $75M today from 4,137 North American theaters. That number includes the record-setting $19.75M midnight grosses. For the 3-day weekend overall domestic blockbuster number, my insiders are predicting a low of $135M to a high near $150M. This is a huge bonanza for the studio and not much less than its motion picture revenue for recent quarters. Meanwhile Lionsgate sources are telling me that the hotly anticipated pic did a matinee per-screen average of $7,800. Now that number is rising past $9,900 at this hour. That’s better than The Dark Knight ($9,806) and Twilight Saga’s Breaking Down Part One ($9,310) but not Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows Part Two ($11,300) and Twilight Saga’s New Moon ($12,600). Edited by kayumanggi

My initial expectation in the morning was 63 million FRI based on its comparison with New Moon. If it significantly outperforms New Moon then I guess 70 million is possible but I don't really see 75 million and I won't bet any money on 70 either.

With early numbers like this even I could predict an opening weekends take.I'll say it now. The Avengers is going to range from $100-$140m, see pressure solved. We don't need to anticipate it anymore. Being first with "news" only counts if it's legit.

Anything above 71.68m would mean that this held better than TDK did on Friday without midnights. Considering the fact that this is March and TDK was in July, that makes this even more impressive.

FRIDAY 8:00 PM, 5TH UPDATE… EXCLUSIVE:Lionsgate’s The Hunger Games now has a hefty location average right around $12,000. Keep in mind that in many ways there are no ideal comps because the big-grossing films are all holiday or sequels or both. Whereas Hunger Games is a March release of a first in a franchise. Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows Part Two - $13,028, which made for a $91.1M opening day and $169.2M weekend; The Dark Knight- $12,219/$67.2M/$158.4M; Twilight Saga: New Moon – $14,504/$72.7M/$142.8M; Twilight Saga:Breaking Dawn Part One- $11,185/$71.6M/$138.1M.

http://www.deadline.com/2012/03/hunger-games-scores-huge-1-8m-in-australia/

FRIDAY 8:00 PM, 5TH UPDATE… EXCLUSIVE: Lionsgate’s The Hunger Games now has a hefty location average right around $12,000. Keep in mind that in many ways there are no ideal comps because the big-grossing films are all holiday or sequels or both. Whereas Hunger Games is a March release of a first in a franchise. Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows Part Two - $13,028, which made for a $91.1M opening day and $169.2M weekend; The Dark Knight - $12,219/$67.2M/$158.4M; Twilight Saga: New Moon – $14,504/$72.7M/$142.8M; Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part One - $11,185/$71.6M/$138.1M.