kayumanggi

DHD Friday (03.23) 68.25 M | THE HUNGER GAMES (Crow-serving on-going :))

I ... think that might be backwards?If anything, pre-2009 adjustments are more reliable because they include fewer 3D (and IMAX) tickets to inflate the average price. Post 2009, 3D ticket prices would skew the actual 2D average price higher than its supposed to be.

I mean 2D films adjusted by that inflated current ticket price would overestimate their gross. Their ticket sale estimations are more accurate, however yes.For GROSS:pre-2009 2D films are overestimated when using BOM's 2012 pricepost-2009 2D films are underestimated when using BOM's 2012 priceFor TICKET SALESpre-2009 2D films are more accuratepost-2009 2D films are underestimated Edited by spizzer
  • Like 1

Also don't forget the time of year The Hunger Games opened. This isn't summer, nor the holiday season this is early spring which isn't typically known for producing such big openings. If you look at the top spring opening weekends, The Hunger Games opening day alone would put it 6th all time.

I'm so happy for this film's success. I'm not sure if it'll go down the route of Star Wars, Potter, and Spider-Man. HP1 received decent WOM, but not enough to bring back in too much of the audience back, hence the drop from 56m to 45m tickets. But, then again, Chamber of Secrets is widely regarded as the worst film of the series (it is, C/C-), and I think Catching Fire will be much much much better.Spider-Man was just insane.

I'm so happy for this film's success. I'm not sure if it'll go down the route of Star Wars, Potter, and Spider-Man. HP1 received decent WOM, but not enough to bring back in too much of the audience back, hence the drop from 56m to 45m tickets. But, then again, Chamber of Secrets is widely regarded as the worst film of the series (it is, C/C-), and I think Catching Fire will be much much much better.Spider-Man was just insane.

Spider-Man 2 actually did pretty well holding up against SM1. And if Spider-Man 3 was on par with the first two, who knows who much it would've made. After its massive opening, 400m+ would've been a given despite its competition.

Is that ESB?I wonder what it's OW was adjusted. Surely it must've been the biggest thing ever at the time as it was coming off A New Hope's unprecedented success.

No, that's Star Wars. And both Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back opened in limited release so they didn't break any OW record. Return of the Jedi did break the OW on only 1,000 theaters.

No, that's Star Wars. And both Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back opened in limited release so they didn't break any OW record. Return of the Jedi did break the OW on only 1,000 theaters.

Yeah, now that I think about it, the original OW craze title has to go to JAWS, which did $7m on 675 screens. It was also the movie that started the trend of "wide release on opening weekend".

This really is the most impressive opening of all time. Funny. Half a year ago, most, including me, thought the domestic total would be not much more than what this is opening to. :unsure:

A couple months ago LG set the DOM total bar at $100m to be considered a success. :o :lol:This opening is insane. I'm deliriously happy. :lol:

• Founder / Operator

The last 3 are not nearly as impressive as THG IMO. Star Trek had a huge marketing campaign and a big budget, plus decades of fanbase.

And yet, that decades' old fan base never once translated to an opening anywhere near that of ST09. ;)

For all intents and purposes, it was a dead property, thus making it a greater challenge to succeed.. THG is the exact opposite, and hefty marketing behind it as well. If anything, it had an easier chance at a big opening compared to ST.

The last 2 had strong PTAs but that's because they opened on fewer theaters so people who wanted to see it had to go to the ones that were playing it. Their grosses are also not nearly as impressive as THG.

Again, big isn't always "more impressive" to me. What matters is context, and both Blair and Borat literally shocked the industry with their openings. They were hard R flicks, the former with a shoestring budget, and they became phenomenons with their release. I think folks that weren't around or weren't following box office at the time of certain events like those tend to vastly undervalue important perspectives like that.

THG's opening doesn't make it a phenomenon -- it was already a phenomenon as a book series. It had brand recognition, just like Spider-Man, Potter, Twilight, etc. It didn't make $68 million because of the movie itself, it did so because of the popularity of the books.

Edited by ShawnMR

Film reached my high opening day prediction, do to midnight to Friday distribution, I expect a much stronger Saturday than I initially thought possible.

Same. I had this at 68.6 for the OD, but with a 25.5M midnight. Should hold much better over the weekend.