Eric Duncan

The Bad Guys | April 22, 2022 | Universal/Dreamworks | Based on the children's book series of the same name

On 4/16/2022 at 7:13 PM, SchumacherFTW said:

I hope this finds some kind of audience when it opens in the US, I had a really good time when I saw it earlier in the week

I don't expect a good opening, but hopefully its legs will save it from being a disaster. 

Seems like both critics and audiences consider it a good time, and it could play as a counter programing to Strange since MoM has images that might be scary for kids.

Why didn't Universal move Bad Guys to March 11 after Turning Red was taken outta theaters and dumped onto D+?

Would have done better against Batman than against Sonic 2. They screwed up here.:bash:

Edited by Mojoguy
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Why didn't Paramount move Bad Guys to March 11 after Turning Red was taken outta theaters and dumped onto D+?

Would have done better against Batman than against Sonic 2. They screwed up here.:bash:

Because they don't own Dreamworks 😝

23 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Why didn't Paramount move Bad Guys to March 11 after Turning Red was taken outta theaters and dumped onto D+?

You mean Universal?

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/title/tt8115900/?ref_=bo_se_r_1

I was browsing around 2022 animated films just now and just became aware of how well The Bad Guys seems to be doing at the international box office. The film hasn't even released in America yet, and it's already made about $52.7 Million in a whole bunch of other countries. Now I'm hoping it does decent business in the U.S., cuz with the budget being as small as $70 million, this film has a pretty good safety net. For some reason this is a greater international haul than I imagined—and the cool thing is that the film hasn't even released in China yet. I believe it releases in China next week. So yeah, hopefully this film continues to do well!

Reposting my review from the weekday thread - a very solid family movie!

Saw Bad Guys today for the 1st cheap Tuesday in a LOOOONG time!  Kids choice.

Kids loved it, and I'll say I definitely appreciated (as my kids put it) the lack of sickly sweet saccharine, the feeling of more freshness/originality in plot, and the rapid pace (one of my kids felt like the movie was only 1/2 an hour).

From the kids, we had an A, 2 A-s, and one B+ from the harsh grader.  I think I'd give it a solid B and a recommend. 

It was completely worth my money spent...

• Like 1

On 5/2/2022 at 1:09 AM, AJG said:

Amazon just released this bitch online. That 17 day window is absolutely insane. How is it sustainable?

It isn't. I honestly don't think it is.

I hope Universal is happy enough with the Box Office to greenlight a sequel. I'd put it in top tier Dreamworks (Which isn't necessarily high praise, maybe it's #16 out of 42), I liked the dynamics so much between characters.

Edited by Morieris
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Morieris said:

I hope Universal is happy enough with the Box Office to greenlight a sequel. I'd put it in top tier Dreamworks (Which isn't necessarily high praise, maybe it's #16 out of 42), I liked the dynamics so much between characters.

I got it at 11, I agree with the statement but I gave it a 4/5 as I had a lot of fun with it. Only 11 films I’ve given a 4/5 from Dreamworks out of 42. Top 10 for me is something like (Egypt, Shrek 2, Dragon 1, Panda 2, Panda 1, Shrek, Gromit, Chicken Run, Dragon 3 and Megamind).

On 5/2/2022 at 8:09 AM, AJG said:

Amazon just released this bitch online. That 17 day window is absolutely insane. How is it sustainable?

But this one I believe is VOD, which people still need to pay to see the film on digital, this route normally have less impact to the box office.

as for peacock release date , this prove universal is willing to give flexible window for their movies, depending how well the movie is grabbing the money in the cinema.

I am not sure if this will jeopardise the 100m goal but worth experimenting it to see if TLC’s 100m after its digital release is just a fluke.