Water Bottle

Clubs

Clubs  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Should we move all Clubs to the Box Office Club forums?

• Yes, it makes it easier to find them.
    • No, I want my club to be on the main forum.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Community Manager

Just wanted to get some community feedback on something the staff is discussing. What do you all think about moving all clubs to the Box Office Clubs forum? The idea is that it'll make it easier to find them since when they move here they can get easily lost based on how active the forum is as a whole. Or do you guys like the status quo?

While there are pros and cons, I do think it's good to have the more popular clubs in high trafficked areas of the forum.  It allows more people to see them and engage with them.  And while the Clubs forum might be one of the more popular ones outside of the box office one, it still can be a case of "out of sight, out of mind" at times.

It can be a bit depressing to see you club not get much action, but at the same time it's easy enough to bump it back up if there is a good reason (bumping for no good reason is of course not good).

I also worry that if remove all clubs from the box office section, then people will start to forget they even exist as they get caught up in the day-to-day discussion of movies in general.  Having popular clubs on the first couple of pages reminds everyone that Clubs Are a Thing and, perhaps, "Oh yeah, wonder what's going on with that club I heard about".  

In short, they can be considered advertising for the concept of clubs themselves.  

Maybe that's not a good reason, or at least a good enough reason.  But I do think it is a factor, however small.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

No.

That was my suspicion.     

This is an interesting topic since clubs can "get lost"/lose visibility in the main box office forum if they aren't active and fall off the front few pages, but they can also get lost/lose visibility if restricted to the club section only since it's less trafficked and some people don't go there much or even know it exists (newer members).    

I think I find Porthos's stance persuasive, but it might be nice to have some kind of master thread in the club section that links to Clubs that have been moved to main. That way people visiting the club section looking for clubs that interest them would be able to easily find ones that hidden in pages 2-10 or whatever of the main area.

Edited by Thanos Legion
  • Like 3

Just now, keysersoze123 said:

There are also clubs started after a movie opens which defeats the very purpose of these clubs

What??? This really depends on what the club goal is, but something created post-opening isn't necessarily any less interesting than pre-opening. 

1 minute ago, keysersoze123 said:

we get too many similar clubs for the same movie.

This I can agree with.

40 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

What??? This really depends on what the club goal is, but something created post-opening isn't necessarily any less interesting than pre-opening. 

This I can agree with.

I generally dont see a point. Any new goal for a movie can be discussed is movie thread or one of other clubs. Point of clubs should be making a gutsy call ahead of release. once you know movie is a break out then any new goal is just riding coat tails.

I understand where you are going with this with your clubs for Endgame. That could be an exception as we are talking about biggest of all time. But most times I feel clubs opened post release are pointless.

• Thanks 1

I only had one club for Endgame, and it was from before release. But is this

9 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Any new goal for a movie can be discussed is movie thread or one of other clubs.

Not equally true for before release as well? I'd agree that the point of a club

9 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

should be making a gutsy call

but the "ahead of release" part just seems artificially tacked on.

The point of the club structure is to choose a specific goal and have people go on the record one way or the other, and that can be equally interesting after an OW as long as the goal is well chosen (i.e. after the OW, if it was surprisingly big or small, goals that would have seemed like they could go either way a week ago will be either obviously easy or obviously hard, so don't make one of those -- but goals that would have seemed obviously easy or obviously hard a week ago will instead be just right).

Edited by Thanos Legion

Move all clubs to the Clubs sub forum and edit the main movie first posts to link all approved clubs related to the movie (edit the club's first post to indicate both threads are linked to each other).  Dedicate a Mod for this task.  

• Like 1

Agree with the above post.

Also a suggestion. Perhaps there can be  pinned thread during the release week of a major movie (ex Frozen 2 , TROS) where it provides a link to all clubs related to that movie. That way we get a big wave of new INs/OUTs. I think Mods used to move clubs out of the lot section during release so this would be similar while not flooding the main forum. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, EarlyDeadlinePredictions said:

Agree with the above post.

Also a suggestion. Perhaps there can be  pinned thread during the release week of a major movie (ex Frozen 2 , TROS) where it provides a link to all clubs related to that movie. That way we get a big wave of new INs/OUTs. I think Mods used to move clubs out of the lot section during release so this would be similar while not flooding the main forum. 

Release weekend is when a movie gets the most attention, but it's pretty common for a movie's club to close before then.

3 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

I think one of the issues with pinning current movie clubs is: you have a movie like TROS which has like ten clubs based off it. Whole first  page would just be pins. 

I believe the idea is to pin a thread that contains links to all of the clubs in it.  So there'd only be the one thread.  Still a bit of a hassle to constantly pin/unpin threads on a weekly basis, though.

The other idea of editing the first post of a movie discussion thread to contain links also has some merit, I'll admit.  But then how many people check out the first page of a thread once it really gets going?

Edited by Porthos
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Porthos said:

I believe the idea is to pin a thread that contains links to all of the clubs in it.  So there'd only be the one thread.  Still a bit of a hassle to constantly pin/unpin threads on a weekly basis, though.

The other idea of editing the first post of a movie discussion thread to contain links also has some merit, I'll admit.  But then how many people check out the first page of a thread once it really gets going?

It would be up to mod discretion. Also probably more of a monthly thing really. Ex (November = Frozen 2 clubs, Dec = Jumanji and Star Wars clubs, Jan = nothing really, Feb = Birds of Prey?). 

• Like 1