sfran43

Weekend Thread: Weekend Estimates - Jokah 55, Addams 30.3, Gemini 20.5, Abominable 6.2, Downton 4.9 | Parasite generates 125.4K PTA (highest since La La Land)

Joker and Addams Family will probably be higher than what Deadline says. Joker people will see that more in the evening. Addams Family is an evening film too, but that $30 million will probably go higher since family films do really well on Saturdays. 

7 minutes ago, grim22 said:

I do agree that 13M seems very low just based on all historical precedent, weekday holds and the fact that it isn't summer. The Variety 50M would require a 15M Friday which makes more sense. About a 80% jump is still on the lower side, but makes slightly more logical sense and can be explained more easily.

I'm a little concerned that Variety said "up to 50m" in its writeup, implying 50m is the current ceiling. But it could be that they're using the wrong model to project growth through the day/weekend.

Joker being both a CBM and a dessert topping* an adult-leaning R-rated film complicates things when trying to figure out what is the best historical model.

* Deep deep cut there.  Wonder how many folks will recognize it. :ph34r:

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

When was the last time one of the big six studios failed to have any of their new movies from one year make more than 100M? Because Paramount is right on the verge of doing that, with Terminator their one last shot (which isn't impossible by the by). I know Fox almost did it in 2010, but Narnia 3 managed to just squeeze by the mark

10 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I'm a little concerned that Variety said "up to 50m" in its writeup, implying 50m is the current ceiling.

RIP Joker box office. It was a fun run for a week. We will always have the good times. Sub-200 finish incoming.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Eric Addams said:

When was the last time one of the big six studios failed to have any of their new movies from one year make more than 100M? Because Paramount is right on the verge of doing that, with Terminator their one last shot (which isn't impossible by the by). I know Fox almost did it in 2010, but Narnia 3 managed to just squeeze by the mark

Sony almost didn't have one in 2001 but Black Hawk Down's January expansion saved them at the 11th hour albeit in the new year.

Edited by filmlover

12 minutes ago, Eric Addams said:

I know Fox almost did it in 2010, but Narnia 3 managed to just squeeze by the mark

The best part of that was how Black Swan then outgrossed Narnia. Glory to Searchlight. Same happened to Sony in 2000 when SPC's Crouching Tiger ended up their biggest movie.

20 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Theaters want the kids to see something.  What else is out there for them?

Abominable. The kids should go out and give Abominabke a 15M 3rd weekend dangnabbit, it's much better than Addams Family!     

Also I sure hope Joker doesn't flop it's way to 59M here :ph34r:

Gemini Man concludes Will Smith's bomb Trinity, along with Sony's duo MIB 3 and After Earth. This unbelievable trilogy is going to give $200m+ of profit to Will Smith. Thanks for this amazing job, Sony, Paramount & friends. Your money will be in better hands.:worthy:

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Litio said:

Gemini Man concludes Will Smith's bomb Trinity, along with Sony's duo MIB 3 and After Earth. This unbelievable trilogy is going to give $200m+ of profit to Will Smith. Thanks for this amazing job, Sony, Paramount & friends. Your money will be in better hands.:worthy:

Did`ent MIB3 make good money?