sfran43

Weekend Thread: Weekend Estimates - Jokah 55, Addams 30.3, Gemini 20.5, Abominable 6.2, Downton 4.9 | Parasite generates 125.4K PTA (highest since La La Land)

1 minute ago, Johnny Tran said:

How do the guys here see 18-20 and Deadline says 12.9?  That's not close at all....   

Glitch in the Matrix. They've been fairly accurate so far, so such a huge discrepancy would be quite surprising, should Deadline be proven correct. I'm more inclined to believe it's bad extrapolation from partial figures on the Deadline side. On the other side, maybe a slow-down in the evening with the guys here reporting early, thus the number is somewhere in-between?

Maybe 16?

I hope?

Re: Paramount

Wouldn't it be hilarious is Sonic ended up being a 200m+ performer for them next Feb? Would shut us all up :D

In any event, they are down but not out. 

They have the Quiet Place sequel coming in the Spring, another Spongebob movie for the summer, the Top Gun sequel which looks like it will do pretty well. 

Infinite is a gamble, but could be big for them in the late summer too if it hits. 

The fall will have Michael B. Jordan in a new Tom Clancy thriller. They are releasing a new G.I. Joe (yikes), but also the sequel to Eddie Murphy's Coming to America which could do decent. 

Then there are a handful of smaller films/animated films they have sprinkled throughout the year next year. 

I mean, by no means a powerhouse film slate, but they certainly could be in a worse position. 

And god forbid studios have to start making creative new films and relying less on tired franchises!

1 hour ago, Eric Addams said:

When was the last time one of the big six studios failed to have any of their new movies from one year make more than 100M? Because Paramount is right on the verge of doing that, with Terminator their one last shot (which isn't impossible by the by). I know Fox almost did it in 2010, but Narnia 3 managed to just squeeze by the mark

I think I found it. And wouldn't you know it, it's actually Paramount, all the way back in 1995, when their biggest movie was Congo at 81M

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Solid for Addams Family, wonder how it would’ve done with good review and if it was live action.

-52% would be solid for Joker. Second best comic book weekend hold of the year behind Spider-Man (which burned off lots of fan rush opening midweek). 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Eric Addams said:

I think I found it. And wouldn't you know it, it's actually Paramount, all the way back in 1995, when their biggest movie was Congo at 81M

For reference, the last time it happened to the other major studios:

Disney: 1993

Sony: 1994

Universal: 1992

Warner: 1990

(Fox was back in 1989)

Edited by cookie

8 minutes ago, TheUndertaker said:

45-50M would be good for Joker but it just doesn't make any sense that Friday would only increase 55% over thursday, specially because all weekdays surpassed expectations.

Yeah, and it wouldn't match up with what appear to be great foreign holds either. @Heretic talking about a possible 2nd weekend drop of only 30% in the UK. 

9 minutes ago, TheUndertaker said:

45-50M would be good for Joker but it just doesn't make any sense that Friday would only increase 55% over thursday, specially because all weekdays surpassed expectations.

maybe the busier than normal weekdays burned off quite a bit of demands...hope not and shouldn't be. 

2 minutes ago, teard1972 said:

maybe the busier than normal weekdays burned off quite a bit of demands...hope not and shouldn't be. 

Sure, but out of curiosity I looked up and even Dark Phoenix had a 62% increase on the 2nd friday over thursday. The better weekdays could have maybe made it go under 100% but only slightly so.

Then again, the film is kinda like a wild card...

Edited by TheUndertaker

15 minutes ago, TheUndertaker said:

Maybe because we have new three wide releases this weekend?

4 minutes ago, Damianport1 said:

Maybe because we have new three wide releases this weekend?

Emm, no, first one is animation for kids, second one is bomb, third one is huge bomb. There's no competition at all.

Edited by Firepower