sfran43

Weekend Thread: Weekend Estimates - Jokah 55, Addams 30.3, Gemini 20.5, Abominable 6.2, Downton 4.9 | Parasite generates 125.4K PTA (highest since La La Land)

6 minutes ago, TheUndertaker said:

Sure, but out of curiosity I looked up and even Dark Phoenix had a 62% increase on the 2nd friday over thursday. The better weekdays could have maybe made it go under 100% but only slightly so.

Then again, the film is kinda like a wild card...

DP did pathetic business from the start, that summer weekend 62% increase was inline with its weekday performance I think? 

5 minutes ago, Damianport1 said:

Maybe because we have new three wide releases this weekend?

but none of them seems be a threat to Joker, especially only GM sorta counts as direct competition. 

Since the California power shutdowns were brought up, how many theaters are affected there?  I mean, I'd think the open ones near shutdown areas would actually get mobbed...but I wasn't sure if it also closes a bunch that normally perform decently...

(This is me flailing for a reason not to trust our board, b/c well, I trust our board...and go $60M+ weekend, Joker!:)

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, ChipMunky said:

I mean, I would lean on the numbers here over deadline numbers... but that's a large disparity.

It isn't that large of a disparity when you take Variety's numbers into account, which are already 50 million. 

Tack on the fact that this was predicted hours ago, before the main shows even started on the East Coast and it's easy to see how Friday could go 2-3 million higher, which over the weekend with an inflated Sunday would equal 8-10 million difference from that Friday increase. Right there you're suddenly at 60 million. 

Again, when the predictions are coming out that early in the day, they are bound to be off. 

I'd think it's more likely to be closer to what the board says that Deadline's 45 million.... 

EDIT: For what it's worth, I've been looking at NYC showings at 10-12 AMC theatres over the past few hours, and it is going gangbusters! Granted, it had a crazy weekend last weekend too in NYC, so even so the numbers are likely to be down. But it's still pulling in a shit tonne of people. Add in the fact that in Canada Monday is a holiday country wide, while in the US many people also have it off and we are looking at an inflated Sunday and what's bound to be a good hold. 

Edited by VanillaSkies
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I tracked 24 theatres for presales for joker and I just took a look at 10 of them for late shows tonight and honestly it’s pretty insane for a second weekend.

I don’t know what that’s going to translate too for the weekend but it’s definitely putting up big numbers, one theatre has 3 VIP shows sold out for later tonight and has an AVX screen that’s sold nearly 300 seats already, there’s only front row left. One of the other big ones has 4 screens with about 1000 seats already sold for those showings, pretty crazy, cause there’s still going to be more walk ups for those shows. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

6 minutes ago, cax16 said:

I tracked 24 theatres for presales for joker and I just took a look at 10 of them for late shows tonight and honestly it’s pretty insane for a second weekend.

I don’t know what that’s going to translate too for the weekend but it’s definitely putting up big numbers, one theatre has 3 VIP shows sold out for later tonight and has an AVX screen that’s sold nearly 300 seats already, there’s only front row left. One of the other big ones has 4 screens with about 1000 seats already sold for those showings, pretty crazy, cause there’s still going to be more walk ups for those shows. 

Same here. The theater I track in Salt Lake City is going to be at or near-sellout for all of its evening shows, but that doesn't tell me a whole lot because it was already at 76% of capacity yesterday and they didn't add any screens for today. The other theater I track, however, the Cinemark West Jordan, is pretty revealing. I don't have exact numbers, but it's late afternoon shows look to be down about 35-40% from last Friday, while the prime evening shows, are down no more than 15-20% at the worst, with plenty of walk ups still to come. Maybe this theater is an anomaly nationally, but it's sure not indicating the 50% true Friday-to-Friday drop that Deadline is forecasting.

• Thanks 4

7 minutes ago, Menor said:

My guess is Deadline bsed a number to fit their earlier projections. It's selling bonkers in my old local which was not one of the biggest for OW

Definitely. Deadline be crazy. Gimme 17+

Edited by cdsacken

It definetly slowed down in matinees, that is I guess due to high PS and more like evening film. Still lol Deadline, it will most likely cross 13mn in just real time reported theatres. I am expecting 16mn . Easy 57 range weekend.

Edited by Charlie Jatinder
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 8
  • Knock It Off 1

4 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

It definetly slowed down in matinees, that is I guess due to high PS and more like evening film. Still lol Deadline, it will most likely cross 13mn in just real time reported theatres. I am expecting 16mn with chances of 17-17.5. But lets go with 16 for now. Easy 57 range weekend.

4 minutes ago, Damianport1 said:

Charlie didn't post in long time so im worried Deadline is right actually.

lulz

EDIT:::

The comments are literally back to back on the entire forum (3988198 and 3988199).

Edited by Porthos
  • Haha 2

Just now, Charlie Jatinder said:

It may be. Thing is NY theatre is already on capacity so dont expect it to gross much higher tomorrow. I don't know about booking status or capacity of LA theatre, so may be it grow there.

Yeah New York had sold out almost all of the shows. They need to add more!