sfran43

Weekend Thread: Weekend Estimates - Jokah 55, Addams 30.3, Gemini 20.5, Abominable 6.2, Downton 4.9 | Parasite generates 125.4K PTA (highest since La La Land)

Just now, TMP said:

Is A24 gonna try to market that Mike Mills/Joaq film to mainstream audiences now that he just starred in a huge blockbuster? Or are Mills' sensibilities not commercial enough? I've not seen his work, so I don't know.

A24 and mainstream appeal don't go hand to hand from my experience.  (I know they're just a distributor but their acquisitions are almost always niche, except coming of age stories like Lady Bird & Eighth Grade which still didn't find a huge audience for the latter) 

Just now, RealLyre said:

A24 and mainstream appeal don't go hand to hand from my experience.  (I know they're just a distributor but their acquisitions are almost always niche, except coming of age stories like Lady Bird & Eighth Grade which still didn't find a huge audience for the latter) 

This Mills project was developed at A24, so they didn't just buy it. It's just very interesting (and cool?) that Joaquin is gonna follow up a $800m grosser with more indies. Just wonder how much his Joker fame will help those films out, considering he's the most talked about aspect of the film (outside of the weird real world nontroversies)

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, TMP said:

Is A24 gonna try to market that Mike Mills/Joaq film to mainstream audiences now that he just starred in a huge blockbuster? Or are Mills' sensibilities not commercial enough? I've not seen his work, so I don't know.

his movies are great, i'm looking forward to that collaboration and it will gross 2% of the joker's final total.

2 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

his movies are great, i'm looking forward to that collaboration and it will gross 2% of the joker's final total.

Considering You Were Never Really Here made 0.5% of what joker will make, I’d call that an improvement lol

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, TMP said:

This Mills project was developed at A24, so they didn't just buy it. It's just very interesting (and cool?) that Joaquin is gonna follow up a $800m grosser with more indies. Just wonder how much his Joker fame will help those films out, considering he's the most talked about aspect of the film (outside of the weird real world nontroversies)

Don't think Joaquin Phoenix will ever be a box office pull - he always gives his all in a role, so if he's in a major profile film, people will talk about him, but I just don't see many people following his next indie just because they loved Joker. Which is a shame...

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

Joker may not be the biggest DC character but it's outperforming films like Batman v Superman (on 2nd weekend and with a good chance to come very close WW) which had arguably the most popular superheroes at the time. 

Batman V Superman had terrible WOM so its 2nd weekend makes for a poor comparison

32 minutes ago, TMP said:

I think they're commercial enough but the kind of films Mills makes is nothing like Joker so it's not really worth it. Whatever movie they are making should be closer to Her in terms of tone.

6 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

Don't think Joaquin Phoenix will ever be a box office pull - he always gives his all in a role, so if he's in a major profile film, people will talk about him, but I just don't see many people following his next indie just because they loved Joker. Which is a shame...

He's also a strange guy so its hard for him to build a large profile of fans 

11 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

That's the nature of indie movies. Nobody signs up for them expecting big boxoffice. That said, he could easily be a draw if he was doing studio movies. Walk the Line was a huge hit. People know him and he has the right kind of eccentricity to him to be intriguing. Like Angelina Jolie but with better taste in movies. 

Just now, Valonqar said:

That's the nature of indie movies. Nobody signs up for them expecting big boxoffice. That said, he could easily be a draw if he was doing studio movies. Walk the Line was a huge hit. People know him and he has the right kind of eccentricity to him to be intriguing. Like Angelina Jolie but with better taste in movies. 

I think he could be reliable, in that I don't see anyone as an actual draw, save maybe DiCaprio. If he did more studio movies and continued to be picky about scripts and deliver solid performances, I think his presence would further lend credibility to said release. But at the end of the day, his all-over-the-place filmography is very demonstrative of his eccentricity, so in a way, him doing more studio films might change his image?

Personally, I just want him to get more recognition (how very apropos of the movie's own theme) - yes, awards are shite, superficial and all that, but I just want the man to win an Oscar! 

25 minutes ago, TMP said:

Considering You Were Never Really Here made 0.5% of what joker will make, I’d call that an improvement lol

for a limited release I'd say 2.5M is pretty decent. especially if you've seen the movie. You Were Never Really Here is like Joker in tone but about 10x less accessible. 

I don't see Joker turning Phoenix into a draw even if he starts making a whole bunch of more mainstream movies again (FYI this made more than every movie he's made the past decade by the end of its second day) like he did when he was rising in the industry about 15-20 years ago, which is probably unlikely anyway. It's pretty much impossible for anyone to be a consistent box office draw in this day and age, really (unless you're Leo, it seems).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I don't see Joker turning Phoenix into a draw even if he starts making a whole bunch of more mainstream movies again (FYI this made more than every movie he's made the past decade by the end of its second day) like he did when he was rising in the industry about 15-20 years ago, which is probably unlikely anyway. It's pretty much impossible for anyone to be a consistent box office draw in this day and age, really (unless you're Leo, it seems).

RDJ now. Internationally atleast.

Edited by Charlie Jatinder

Just now, Charlie Jatinder said:

We'll see what the numbers for that troubled Dolittle thing look like. He hasn't been in a non-Marvel movie in five years, and said last non-Marvel movie made $84M worldwide.

• Like 3

Ways you know this is an awesome box office weekend...you come to this thread before you even finish your morning coffee...and then get so excited giving out likes, you hit the wrong buttons, instead!

Coffee, I need to finish you before getting back to my like button for the day:)...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

Is he?

Obviously, the MCU is the MCU.

Sherlock Holmes was a good size hit, but it was most likely down to the style of the movie (more action packed, funny, kinetic), combined with a great overall cast, as opposed to him alone (this was barely a year after IM which, while a hit, hadn't really turned RDJ back into a household name). Its sequel was...a sequel, which stayed fairly flat, despite RDJ being higher profile by then), Tropic Thunder and Due Date were high concept comedies at a time they were still successful, but even so, they hardly put up huge numbers.

We'll need to see his next few movies, but for now, I wouldn't call him a draw.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TMP said:

I wouldn't call Mills' films inaccessible but it's a sad consequence of the ongoing bullshit mainstream/arthouse division that they're left with no other option than to be relegated to the "indie platform release that plays in 600 theaters for two weeks and closes with a 5m gross" pile. 

• Like 2