sfran43

Weekend Thread: Weekend Estimates - Jokah 55, Addams 30.3, Gemini 20.5, Abominable 6.2, Downton 4.9 | Parasite generates 125.4K PTA (highest since La La Land)

This won't make Phoenix a draw. Especially because he'll thankfully keep working with folks like James Gray, Lynne Ramsay, etc.

More so than that, most of these have actually been adored by audiences as well, but everything that was major movie release with Joker in big role has done enormous business dating back to Burton's Batman. Others being Dark Knight, Joker and Suicide Squad.

It's not like people packed theaters for Gilliam's Dr. Parnassus after Ledger's iconic turn as the Clown Prince.

Audiences sprint to theaters to see the guy. They love him.

So now, let's get Tilda Swinton as an androgynous Joker in this new Matt Reeves The Batman flick. Keep it rolling. I'm optimistic we can have three or four people playing different variations of Joker simultaneously in the DCEU. 

Be super fun to watch.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer

8 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

MIB3 got benefitted by Hems & Tessa, else it would have ended in half of what it did.

Have a hard time believing the movie would have opened worse than it did. Plus it did worse than Ghostbusters 2016 DOM and barely better than it OS (excluding China).

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 1

Just now, Charlie Jatinder said:

There is a huge difference between MCU of Infinity War & before and after.

MIB3 got benefitted by Hems & Tessa, else it would have ended in half of what it did.

Maybe - Avengers 1 and 2, IM3, Homecoming and Civil War made 6 billion between them, so it's not like he continued to be a nobody before Infinity War or something. He's been the face of the MCU for a decade, well before IW. But that's why I said we need to see his next few movies, as he hasn't really done anything outside of the MCU in a decade, and what little is there hardly did anything of note at the box office. Point stands that there's no evidence as of now that he's a draw outside the MCU.

As for MIB International... Difficult to say. They're recognizable, due to the MCU, and possibly helped the movie do more than with complete nobodies, sure. But on the flip side, have The Rock and... I dunno, Anne Hathaway in the roles, I'd argue the movie would have made at least 100 million more. That's also an existing franchise (a diminished one, sure), so that skews things a bit more as well...

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, reddevil19 said:

But on the flip side, have The Rock and... I dunno, Anne Hathaway in the roles, I'd argue the movie would have made at least 100 million more. That's also an existing franchise (a diminished one, sure), so that skews things a bit more as well...

That's actually a good comparison. Get Smart made 230 mil WW and 130 mil DOM in 2008 without being attached to any major franchise. An MiB movie starring a Anne Hathaway and Carrell (or The Rock) duo would have made over 300 mil.

What's the last movie we could cough up its big gross entirely to starpower besides OUATIH anyway? Passengers and its $300M+ global gross lol? Honestly seems impressive in retrospect that movie made as much as it did considering how little it had going for it besides seeing JLaw/Pratt together in a movie when they were still considered the hottest things around.

Edit: Skyscraper made over $300M worldwide sold entirely on The Rock too. Forgot that movie even existed lmao.

Edited by filmlover
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lorddemaxus said:

I think they're commercial enough but the kind of films Mills makes is nothing like Joker so it's not really worth it. Whatever movie they are making should be closer to Her in terms of tone.

Her was a really good movie.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

So now, let's get Tilda Swinton as an androgynous Joker in this new Matt Reeves The Batman flick. Keep it rolling. I'm optimistic we can have three or four people playing different variations of Joker simultaneously in the DCEU. 

Be super fun to watch.

Swinton’s in the MCU, idk if she can do it; especially if the rumors of her being back in Strange 2 are true

32 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I don't see Joker turning Phoenix into a draw even if he starts making a whole bunch of more mainstream movies again (FYI this made more than every movie he's made the past decade by the end of its second day) like he did when he was rising in the industry about 15-20 years ago, which is probably unlikely anyway. It's pretty much impossible for anyone to be a consistent box office draw in this day and age, really (unless you're Leo, it seems).

If he made the same exact movie but just swapped out the clown suit for a mime suit and changed the characters from anything Gotham related, it makes maybe $10M total DOM. So, yeah, I agree.

It's not like a ton of people are gonna start downloading and/or streaming You Were Never Really Here, The Immigrant, The Master, Her and I'm Not Here now. Even if they did, they likely won't enjoy any of them. 

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

What's the last movie we could cough up its big gross entirely to starpower besides OUATIH anyway? Passengers and its $300M+ global gross lol? Honestly seems impressive in retrospect that movie made as much as it did considering how little it had going for it besides seeing JLaw/Pratt together in a movie when they were still considered the hottest things around.

Edit: Skyscraper made over $300M worldwide sold entirely on The Rock too. Forgot that movie even existed lmao.

OUATIH is star power being combined in front and behind the camera. Throw Pit and/or DiCaprio on the screen and Tarantino directing/writing, you have a guaranteed hit.

Aside, from that, yeah, I'd reckon it's the Skyscraper/Rampage duo from The Rock (yes, Rampage is a game, but that's not what sold the movie, let's be honest).

1 hour ago, Firepower said:

Yeah, like the other strange guy... Johnny Depp (in his better days).

Yeah but Johnny Depp also happens to be sexy and cool too. Joaquin Phoenix has just gone full strange, never go full strange 

• Like 1