sfran43

Weekend Thread: Weekend Estimates - Jokah 55, Addams 30.3, Gemini 20.5, Abominable 6.2, Downton 4.9 | Parasite generates 125.4K PTA (highest since La La Land)

27 minutes ago, Scubasteve716 said:

RDJ hasn’t had a $100 million world wide grosser outside of the Avengers movies in nearly a decade

RDJ has barely even made another non-MCU movie in nearly a decade.

Edited by cookie

3 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

My favourite film of the decade after Margaret.

3 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Yes. That and Handmaiden are two that I love above the rest that released since 2010.

The ending wrecked me so hard. Wonder when Spike Jonze is gonna direct another feature

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

A handful of actors have been in both franchises.

Yeah, but Elba's duties were done at Marvel and the Ancient One's probably gonna pop up a few more times I'd bet. If we're going female Joker, I think someone like Rooney Mara could do something interesting

Just now, AndyK said:

After getting a taste of the big bucks?

Do we know if he has a back-end deal? The one actor that's gonna make so much money off of this is Bradley Cooper, lmao, and he'll collect some more cheques for voicing a raccoon for the funnybook films from the other distributer in a few years.

3 minutes ago, AndyK said:

After getting a taste of the big bucks?

To be fair, if that was what he were after, he would have done more studio films before now, including the MCU. But, who knows? Maybe this will at least inspire him to be more open to meaty studio roles.

4 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

To be fair, if that was what he were after, he would have done more studio films before now, including the MCU. But, who knows? Maybe this will at least inspire him to be more open to meaty studio roles.

Her & Inherent Vice were both studio movies (from WB at that too, lol)

FWIW Phoenix hasn't been nearly as reclusive as he usually is for this movie considering he surprised that audience last weekend so maybe he will start taking on more high profile work consistently again. Or maybe this really is just an anomaly. Who knows.

Edited by filmlover

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

FWIW Phoenix hasn't been nearly as reclusive as he usually is for this movie considering he surprised that audience last weekend so maybe he will start taking on more high profile work again. Or maybe this really is just an anomaly. Who knows.

He will likely star in sequel b/c this is getting one after this BO. WB will make the offer he wont refuse

Edited by Damianport1

8 minutes ago, TMP said:

Her & Inherent Vice were both studio movies (from WB at that too, lol)

2 in a decade isn't that many. Isn't her an Annapurna movie, distributed by WB as well (thus more specialty studio, like Fox 2000 or something)?

And, of course, there's a difference in terms of exposure a studio movie like Gladiator and Joker gives you and...pretty much anything else he's done in-between.

Anyway, I think there's validity to both sides of the debate and he could go either way. As I said, I just want the man to win an Oscar, lol.

Edited by reddevil19

4 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

And, of course, there's a difference in terms of exposure a studio movie like Gladiator and Joker gives you and...pretty much anything else he's done in-between.

Signs was pretty close to Gladiator in budget and BO.

ea0cbea59d981a609916ca36034136b1--joaqui

Joaquin isn't some indie guy that finally made it tho. He was well on his way to be a Hollywood leading man after Walk the Line and turned the other way for whatever reason. I don't think he 'll do anything as extreme as the whole performance art mockemuntary but I wouldn't expect him to say yes right away to Joker 2 or other blockbusters just because he's hot property again. The most I can see him doing while Joker buzz is still hot, is trying to get a bigger than usual passion project of the ground that wouldn't get greenlight any other way. I can see Joker 2 in 10 years down the line if he enters the De Niro-Pacino dont't give a fuck phase.

1 hour ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

RDJ now. Internationally atleast.

Hmm I think that needs to be proven. We’ll see in January. 

But yeh he’d need to open a non-IP movie first. 

He had that lame comedy with the fat guy from The Hangover. 

• Like 1

JP said last week on a talk show that while Joker was never his dream role going into the movie it has basically turned into after playing the part. He said he has spoken a lot to Phillips about working with him again on something and is open to working on more joker stuff if there’s something to be done. 

I wouldn’t expect to see him in Batman or anything but I wouldn’t be shocked to see Joker get a sequel down the line. 

I think it’s around the 21 minute mark where he gets asked about this being his dream role. 

Edited by cax16

4 minutes ago, cax16 said:

I wouldn’t expect to see him in Batman or anything but I wouldn’t be shocked to see Joker get a sequel down the line. 

I'm curious how they'd go about with those two objectives in mind - a sequel, but no Batman. I truly think Joker needs Batman to play off of, for maximum effect, a la TDK. An origin story can work, as a character study, with the descent/evolution into that character. But once he's the Joker, what story do you tell without Batman? Replace Batman with the police? I just don't think it would be as effective. But I would definitely be curious to see what they pull off, don't get me wrong...

Edited by reddevil19

1 minute ago, reddevil19 said:

I'm curious how they'd go about with those two objectives in mind - a sequel, but no Batman. I truly think Joker needs Batman to play off of, for maximum effect, a la TDK. An origin story can work, as a character study, with the descent/evolution into that character. But once he's the Joker, what story do you tell without Batman? Replace Batman with the police? I just don't think it would be as effective. But I would definitely be curious to see what they pull off, don't get me wrong...

I think we won’t get a sequel but there’s potential for other villains or heroes to be the same sort of treatment, Luthor or Two-Face would be my choices