sfran43

Weekend Thread: Weekend Estimates - Jokah 55, Addams 30.3, Gemini 20.5, Abominable 6.2, Downton 4.9 | Parasite generates 125.4K PTA (highest since La La Land)

2 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

This is a very curious performance this weekend. Not sure what it actually means. So confused.

Friday's actual performance isn't curious at all though.

+105%, similar to Logan and slightly behind Venom (+130%).

Edited by MrGlass2
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, filmlover said:

BTW Parasite's numbers are looking to be the biggest PTA of any movie since La La Land almost three years ago. Impossible to say where exactly it will go from here, but that's a great start nonetheless.

No movie that opened with that kind of PTA has finished below 13m and subtitles aside Parasite is a lot more accessible in terms of pacing/tone/entertainment value than films like The Master and Inside Llewyn Davis, not to mention Oscar nods in the main categories will give it a second life. High teens at least, let's go

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Apart from War Dogs, Phillips’ films for WB have made money. I imagine whatever he has in mind to do next will likely be greenlit. 

hope he tackles a potter-world film (not fb).

17 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

It is very curious in the context of the Sat increase being so small.  

If it continues to lag a bit behind Venom/Logan, you could expect something like +40-50%. Maybe Joker plays better on weekdays for whatever reasons (it did have a great first week), but +20% would be strangely low so let's wait and see.

• Like 2

Being a little optimist, I am thinking of 19.5-20 Saturday, but it could stay around 19 range only.

Now a lesson. This is data from around 50% of market at this time of day and we are at a level that a 1-2mn up down will be considered a big off, for a 150 opener that ain't big deal, and just about extra 5 walkups in each show in evening could change that, so its not an exact science. Learn to take data as it is intended to. When I post an early update, that is projection based on basically 20% data point. That theoretically is the best possible projected number at that time, post noon things get a lot clear, unfortunately that is midnight in India, and I need to sleep.

TL;DR any number before noon PST is purely projection, which should be correct theoretically everyday, practically there are lot of factors. The first number post 5 or 6 PM PST is +/- 2-3% or +/-1mn off at max, anything after 10 PM are virtually actuals.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 8
  • Sad 4

19m would be like 12% increase from friday. When did we last have columbus day and Canadian Thanksgiving fall on the same day.

Edi:Seem to happen every year. There is no precedent for a movie to increase that low. Joker 1st saturday saw better increase. I would prefer to wait until evening to make a call.

Edited by keysersoze123

31 minutes ago, a2k said:

hope he tackles a potter-world film (not fb).

I imagine he wouldn’t be interested and I suspect JK has final say on who gets to direct hence why David Yates has been at the helm for 6 films. 

I’d personally like to see Phillips and RDJ do another film together,