sfran43

Weekend Thread: Weekend Estimates - Jokah 55, Addams 30.3, Gemini 20.5, Abominable 6.2, Downton 4.9 | Parasite generates 125.4K PTA (highest since La La Land)

39 minutes ago, sfran43 said:

I'm thinking the same after this week and weekend's hold

Joker getting to a billion is not something I ever thought would happen. I always assumed it would be more domestically focused box office wise, but the movie seems to be finding a bond with OS audiences. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BoxOfficeZ said:

Joker getting to a billion is not something I ever thought would happen. I always assumed it would be more domestically focused box office wise, but the movie seems to be finding a bond with OS audiences. 

indeed

7 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Try to produce a 55m mid-budget without single scene of CGI fight and zero visual effect spectacle, with highly stylished disturbing imagery non-stop for 2 hours.,

That is what is so shocking, it was described as "controversial" before release. It was never supposed to be a movie for everyone.

Turns out, it is a niche movie with mass appeal. :WHATanabe:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, keysersoze123 said:

Saturday increase was 30% in line with what I saw at AMC and cinemark. But that OS number. That is batshit crazy. I would say 1B WW is probable at this point. This is a juggernaut.

lets us see how it will hold next weekend before call it certain

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Try to produce a 55m mid-budget without single scene of CGI fight and zero visual effect spectacle, with highly stylished disturbing imagery non-stop for 2 hours.,

This is financially risky even for DC brand which clearly losing its ground to MCU in the past decade. The opening may not a surprise but subsequent strong hold is what make people shocked because SH genre don't hold that well, and a psyco-drama don't gross that much.   

The fact that this movie will likely end up with 850M+ is certainly impressive. But a mid-budget movie starring the most famous villain of all time is hardly what I would call "financially risky." There was nothing risky about this movie, despite all the drama and controversy surrounding it. 

• Like 1

Just now, MrGlass2 said:

That is what is so shocking, it was described as "controversial" before release. It was never supposed to be a movie for everyone.

Turns out, it is a niche movie with mass appeal. :WHATanabe:

reddit,forum  or articles in general on the internet do not represent hype,opinions etc 

I am not sayin that i expected to be this big

5 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Saturday increase was 30% in line with what I saw at AMC and cinemark. But that OS number. That is batshit crazy. I would say 1B WW is probable at this point. This is a juggernaut.

Nothing can stop the jokkernaut.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I dare not dream of the billion just yet, but it's no longer an absurd number, after those gob-smacking international holds. Japan will also recover after the typhoon, and if France and Germany prove as leggy as the rest of Europe, well... amazing things can happen.

Going to be an interesting week to follow, that's for sure.

Considering I don't much love the movie, I REALLY want it to do a billion. Just the sheer fact that a low budget, R rated movie like this would do a billion makes me giddy. All those comic book movie fatigue articles being put on hold...