sfran43

Weekend Thread: Weekend Estimates - Jokah 55, Addams 30.3, Gemini 20.5, Abominable 6.2, Downton 4.9 | Parasite generates 125.4K PTA (highest since La La Land)

Joker was the perfect combination.

Popular comic book character. Generational actor/performance. Arthouse  flair. R-rated drama. Taps into the cultural zeitgeist of today. Leaves you dumbfounded and thinking.

No wonder this is firing on all financial cylinders. I didn’t think it would do this well however. WB’s rollout was absolutely perfect. I think the decisiveness of the reviews added to the intrigue.

The two trailers for Joker are among the best this year.

Joker is all but certain to overtake Venom worldwide, and that’s perfect. Better than I thought possible.

• Like 5

Just now, Jonwo said:

Joker’s success does show how important DC is to Warner Bros, 

It's why I always laughed at stupid internet comments about WB selling the rights when BvS and then especially JL underperformed. Like, seriously? Even when they leave money on the table, they're still the biggest thing WB has going and when they REALLY knock it out of the park, the potential is gigantic.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

I dare not dream of the billion just yet, but it's no longer an absurd number, after those gob-smacking international holds. Japan will also recover after the typhoon, and if France and Germany prove as leggy as the rest of Europe, well... amazing things can happen.

Going to be an interesting week to follow, that's for sure.

Considering I don't much love the movie, I REALLY want it to do a billion. Just the sheer fact that a low budget, R rated movie like this would do a billion makes me giddy. All those comic book movie fatigue articles being put on hold...

whoever even thought of superhero fatigue after   2,8 billion of endgame is an idiot to say the least

2 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Joker's success is proof that rated R isn't dead.  Give people something worthwhile and you can put butts in seats.  Yes,  it loses the kids audience but there are 3-4 new kids movies every weekend.  They aren't hurting for options. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

Joker's success is proof that rated R isn't dead.  Give people something worthwhile and you can put butts in seats.  Yes,  it loses the kids audience but there are 3-4 new kids movies every weekend.  They aren't hurting for options. 

r rated wasnt dead either way most r rated movies are hits and we have logan and both deadpool

• Like 1
  • Knock It Off 2

3 hours ago, Johnny Tran said:

I think this proves what could be the future for superhero films sure people like light hearted stuff but people like R rated and serious as well. 

Edited by Wotad

9 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

their highest grossing movie every year since 2016 has been a DC movie (and they'll keep that streak going with wonderwoman2 and batman probably) so i'm pretty sure they know it's important.

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, expensiveho said:

I wonder if the media begging for a shooting deflated the OW, I know WOM is good but is it that good for that kind of hold? Especially because it isn't a "feel good" movie. 

Then again, it did even better OS. 

Its not a feel good movie. While for me its an excellent movie I dont thinks this success is due to repeat viewings I think is just new viewers. 

Thats WOM. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

It's why I always laughed at stupid internet comments about WB selling the rights when BvS and then especially JL underperformed. Like, seriously? Even when they leave money on the table, they're still the biggest thing WB has going and when they REALLY knock it out of the park, the potential is gigantic.

It’s not just film revenue, Batman alone makes hundreds of millions in merchandise sales. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Wotad said:

I this this proves what could be the future for superhero films sure people like light hearted stuff but people like R rated and serious as well. 

again r-rating or tone doesnt make a movie better, joker couldnt and shouldnt be lighhearted 

Edited by john2000

22 minutes ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

I think the decisiveness of the reviews added to the intrigue.

I don't think it has any impact, because outside the US Joker has great reviews in the vast majority of countries, it's word of mouth that is great+Joaquin performance+Joker charisma.

Edited by Marcos12

3 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

The Joker is the biggest DC character ever.

Not even a debate.

Definitely one of them but I still believe Batman is tops for DC characters.

I’m not saying reeves movies will outgross joker or not but Batman will always have the most potential to be the biggest imo. 

21 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

I'm curious what the next official announcement will be. I'm hoping there'll be some JJ/Superman Family news after TROS, but I bet we'll get at least one additional release date before then. The candidates would seem to be Flash, Black Adam, New Gods, Batgirl, or that rumored Lex Luthor movie. I'll go with Flash, just because I'm an eternal optimist!

• Like 3