sfran43

Weekend Thread: Weekend Estimates - Jokah 55, Addams 30.3, Gemini 20.5, Abominable 6.2, Downton 4.9 | Parasite generates 125.4K PTA (highest since La La Land)

1 minute ago, A Star is Orm said:

I'm curious what the next official announcement will be. I'm hoping there'll be some JJ/Superman Family news after TROS, but I bet we'll get at least one additional release date before then. The candidates would seem to be Flash, Black Adam, New Gods, Batgirl, or that rumored Lex Luthor movie. I'll go with Flash, just because I'm an eternal optimist!

Right, get Nolan on board, tell him he can do Flashpoint, since he loves his time-related themes, Tilda Swinton as Martha Wayne/Joker, keep Jeffrey Dean Morgan as Thomas Wayne, recast Flash with Timothée Chalamet. Boom. 3 billion.

53 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Joker’s success does show how important DC is to Warner Bros, 

WBs highest domestic and WW movies in years where they had a DC movie release since 2012

2012 - TDKR/TDKR

2013 - MOS/Hobbit 2

2016 - BvS / BvS

2017 - Wonder Woman/Wonder Woman

2018 - Aquaman/Aquaman

2019 - Joker/Joker

2020 is most likely WW84 and 2021 is Batman

basically apart from MOS WW, a DC movie has cleaned up for them every year.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, A Star is Orm said:

I'm curious what the next official announcement will be. I'm hoping there'll be some JJ/Superman Family news after TROS, but I bet we'll get at least one additional release date before then. The candidates would seem to be Flash, Black Adam, New Gods, Batgirl, or that rumored Lex Luthor movie. I'll go with Flash, just because I'm an eternal optimist!

I think a JJ Superman movie is a no brainer. Probably announced during or right after Star Wars.

• Like 4

Holy shit at those overseas numbers. This movie really is becoming a cultural phenomenon, which makes me want to see it again just to be involved (if only I wasn’t in school).

The absolute lowest I can see Joker going at this point is 330M domestic. The fact that late October is super dead, and early November doesn’t have any (huge) movies means I think it’ll easily surpass that mark. I also don’t see how it doesn’t pass 900WW at this point. Absolutely amazing performance.

House With a Clock makes me a bit apprehensive of Addams’ legs. But 75M should be good for it (and apparently the budget is low). Gemini I think will have a hard time reaching 60 but I don’t think it’ll be that far off. Say 55 domestic, 130 overseas for now unless China blows up. More realistically, I could see this finishing in the 250 WW ballpark which still isn’t great.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, grim22 said:

I think a JJ Superman movie is a no brainer. Probably announced during or right after Star Wars.

I'll be honest - I wouldn't be thrilled with that, but with Star Wars, he's shown he can recapture the original spirit, even if superficially, to get the fanboys on board. So, I can see why DC would be up for that. He'd probably deliver some good action scenes, and an overall safe product which, at this point, is what DC needs with Supes, I suppose.

Edited by reddevil19

Just now, reddevil19 said:

I'll be honest - I wouldn't be thrilled with that, but with Star Wars, he's shown he can recapture the original spirit, even if superficially, to get the fanboys on board. So, I can see why DC would be up for that. He'd probably deliver some good action scenes, and an overall safe product which, at this point, is what DC needs with Supes, I suppose.

Yes. He would do Superman 78 but without the added deadbeat dad stuff or anything even slightly divisive.

Just now, grim22 said:

WBs highest domestic and WW movies in years where they had a DC movie release since 2012

2012 - TDKR/TDKR

2013 - MOS/Hobbit 2

2016 - BvS / BvS

2017 - Wonder Woman/Wonder Woman

2018 - Aquaman/Aquaman

2019 - Joker/Joker

2020 is most likely WW84 and 2021 is Batman

basically apart from MOS WW, a DC movie has cleaned up for them every year.

2001-2011 they had 8 Potters taking #1 ww, TDK, Superman Returns (beating Happy Feet by just 7m ww and 2m dom) and Matrix Reloaded.

So Potters + DC for all years since 2001 except 2003 for Matrix Reloaded.

Just now, a2k said:

2001-2011 they had 8 Potters taking #1 ww, TDK, Superman Returns (beating Happy Feet by just 7m ww and 2m dom) and Matrix Reloaded.

So Potters + DC for all years since 2001 except 2003 for Matrix Reloaded.

In which Neo played Superman.

1 hour ago, BoxOfficeZ said:

Joker getting to a billion is not something I ever thought would happen. I always assumed it would be more domestically focused box office wise, but the movie seems to be finding a bond with OS audiences. 

Probably will be 100-150m short but 850m is 250 above what people were hoping for 2 weeks ago.

Edited by cdsacken

1 minute ago, Hatebox said:

The OS figures are heartening. See, Hollywood? International audiences don't only like action movies.

If they filmed an alternate China cut (considering the budget, they would only have needed an extra 20-30 million), they could then have hit a home run. Satisfied Europe with a slower thriller, and have the Joker order the masses to obey the regime in the Chinese cut (nothing is more chaotic and unpredictable from a villain than OBEYING and falling in line!) and hit 300 million there.

1 minute ago, Hatebox said:

Joker getting to a billion would be the most impressive BO story of the year. Which is seems doubly insane given Endgame's total, but

Image result for there it is gif

They can share the spotlight. I mean, Endgame being a record-breaker was expected. Perhaps the unexpected part was it actually reaching #1 WW, which is why it's still the biggest story. But expectations for Joker were... less, lol. Still, let's see, I still believe 900 is the limit, but I'd love to be proven wrong.

Just now, reddevil19 said:

They can share the spotlight. I mean, Endgame being a record-breaker was expected. Perhaps the unexpected part was it actually reaching #1 WW, which is why it's still the biggest story. But expectations for Joker were... less, lol. Still, let's see, I still believe 900 is the limit, but I'd love to be proven wrong.

I'm afraid in my absolutist BO world there can only be one. The rest are all pitiful failures. 😈