sfran43

Weekend Thread: Weekend Estimates - Jokah 55, Addams 30.3, Gemini 20.5, Abominable 6.2, Downton 4.9 | Parasite generates 125.4K PTA (highest since La La Land)

1 hour ago, grim22 said:

WBs highest domestic and WW movies in years where they had a DC movie release since 2012

2012 - TDKR/TDKR

2013 - MOS/Hobbit 2

2016 - BvS / BvS

2017 - Wonder Woman/Wonder Woman

2018 - Aquaman/Aquaman

2019 - Joker/Joker

2020 is most likely WW84 and 2021 is Batman

basically apart from MOS WW, a DC movie has cleaned up for them every year.

I remember a bunch of dummies from the comcigate portion of comic book fandom who legitimately believed that AT&T would sell DC.

One dude on managed to get a Forbes article by claiming that because DC didn't have a SDCC booth in the middle of the floor, it was in the back croner, and because they didn't show off movies at that comic con, that was proof that AT&T was planning to sell DC to reduce their debt, even though the booth was actually as big as it was the previous year and AT&T would end up losing money by sell DC almost instantly.

• Like 1

Somewhat off-topic but I just looked through the 2020 schedule and YIKES! If you thought there was hand-wringing about box office decline this year, next year looks terrible - thank god Wonder Woman and Bond move. Something has to fill in August and December, right?

Just now, Cmasterclay said:

Somewhat off-topic but I just looked through the 2020 schedule and YIKES! If you thought there was hand-wringing about box office decline this year, next year looks terrible - thank god Wonder Woman and Bond move. Something has to fill in August and December, right?

I was of the opinion Marvel may have missed a trick with Eternals in August, like GotG, but then again, November might prove very good for them...

4 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

May you perhaps be interested in this? :ph34r: 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

Joker getting to a billion would be the most impressive BO story of the year. Which seems doubly insane given Endgame's total, but

Image result for there it is gif

:hahaha: 

It does seem like it will displace Aladdin and Ne Zha for 2nd most impressive of 2019. That's plenty, no need to go overboard with it.

21 minutes ago, Jiffy said:

I haven't seen anything like it in terms of image quality (saw it in Dolby). I'm generally not a fan of HFR, but it works for this as a different experience.

even if the only option for HFR includes 3d?

7 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

It does seem like it will displace Aladdin and Ne Zha for 2nd most impressive of 2019. That's plenty, no need to go overboard with it.

Nah - it's a totally reasonable, albeit arguable, take. A 55m, 2 hour action-free misery-fest getting a billion would be more shocking than anything else that's happened this year so far. 

(Honestly not trying to start a flame-war here, I have zero riding on the Maverl vs DC nonsense. But at this point it's not enough to say 'well duh, it's the Joker'.)

Edited by Hatebox
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

Nah - it's a totally reasonable, albeit arguable, take. A 55m, 2 hour action-free misery-fest getting a billion would be more shocking than anything else that's happened this year so far. 

(Honestly not trying to start a flame-war here. But at this point it's not enough to say 'well duh, it's the Joker'.)

It's be absolutely crazy, but not #1 all time, 2.8B with bad ERs, over 350M OW, over 1.2B WW opening crazy. Most surprising, maybe, but not most impressive. 

Edited by Thanos Legion
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, TMP said:

Dune...

Yea I'll be convinced of that one when I see it tbh (also isn't it coming out Thanksgiving?) West Side Story is a little old hat, I think that In the Heights is the breakout musical of 2020.

Just now, Cmasterclay said:

Yea I'll be convinced of that one when I see it tbh (also isn't it coming out Thanksgiving?) West Side Story is a little old hat, I think that In the Heights is the breakout musical of 2020.

It got pushed to December when Avatar 2 moved for the ninth time. I think by its very nature it'll be more commercial than 2049, and with Denis behind the lens the quality will be up to par too

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

what's the issue there?

idk, I'm not usually a fan of 3D. Plus I've only seen 1 HFR movie (Battle of the Five Armies) so idk would it just take me out of the movie being 3D and HFR

9 minutes ago, TMP said:

Dune...

I mean, given Joker's success, WB can get a small budget DC drama out in time, and ride the awards season again. We keep mentioning the Lois Lane investigative journalism story. Get it done, WB! 

Edited by reddevil19

30 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

20% dropoff domestically and a global drop as well.