sfran43

Weekend Thread: Weekend Estimates - Jokah 55, Addams 30.3, Gemini 20.5, Abominable 6.2, Downton 4.9 | Parasite generates 125.4K PTA (highest since La La Land)

31 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Somewhat off-topic but I just looked through the 2020 schedule and YIKES! If you thought there was hand-wringing about box office decline this year, next year looks terrible - thank god Wonder Woman and Bond move. Something has to fill in August and December, right?

I wonder if Warner might not move The Suicide Squad up to August 2020. They're filming right now and could conceivably have it ready by then. OTOH, they (Warner) could want two DC movies for 2021 and I don't think there's anything ready (unless Shazam 2 gets into production in Spring 2020).

14 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

It's be absolutely crazy, but not #1 all time, 2.8B with bad ERs, over 350M OW, over 1.2B WW opening crazy. Most surprising, maybe, but not most impressive. 

Yeah even if Joker hits 1B it's not 2.8B impressive. Don't think it gets that's close. 900 I think if not less. Still the profit will be amazeballs.

8 minutes ago, TheMovieman said:

Even when this quickly went into production late last year, don't think many thought it would do the business it has. I thought it'd do well, but not like this. Wowsers.

i could see at most 700-750

If Joker hits a billion, I would say it's the #2 box office story of the year for sure. 

- First R rated film to do so, opens the doors for R rated blockbusters like never before

But to be fair, Endgame pushed the bounds for what a blockbuster could be. A 357M opening (1B worldwide opening) was unheard of. I really think this changes box office as a whole. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DAJK said:

If Joker hits a billion, I would say it's the #2 box office story of the year for sure. 

- First R rated film to do so, opens the doors for R rated blockbusters like never before

But to be fair, Endgame pushed the bounds for what a blockbuster could be. A 357M opening (1B worldwide opening) was unheard of. I really think this changes box office as a whole. 

agreed we all knew that captain marvel and spidey would be big maybe not 1,1 big but for sure around 1 bill, same goes for ts4 while many called it unessecary still most of use thought  around 1 billion , as for aladdin many people didnt think 1 billion not bc the ip didnt have the potential but bc it didnt look good and the buzz want good, but it wasnt that big of a suprised when you think about it, if i have to go at least for me biggest suprise as of now at least are1)endgame,2)ne zha and 3)joker

The OS insaness makes the DOM performance seem tame by comparison. After seeing the film I get it though as it may not have much action but it still 100% fully engaging that is easier to digest than other dramas.

Plus I think it shows specifically how big the Batman brand is. Wonder if it'll translate to how big Batman performs in 2021.

Edited by Darth Lehnsherr

5 hours ago, NamakFiskKa said:

Markets gradually expands, shrinks and evolves , 15 years ago we didnt have China we had Japan.

Now Japan just watches musicals and kids movies for god knows why.

Older people mostly

32 minutes ago, Jiffy said:

Regrettably, Joker is the BO story of the year now.

BO story of the second half of the year if you ask me. Endgame was the BO story of the year. Even if Frozen 2 and TROS make 1.5 bil (which I think is likely for both), Joker coming close to a billion is way more impressive. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Rated R;  no action, no kids and a $60 million budget.  And some think near a billion for this shouldn't be the story? Yes, sure End Game is the story of the year but it's been out of theaters for a while the steelbook is sitting on my shelf.  

This run is amazing no matter how you look at it.  There were no kids at our showing.  A movie damn near making a billion without them and without China is amazing. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Joker is #1 BO story of the year. Many people expected crazy numbers from EndGame. Nobody expected 1bln gross and crazy legs without China from R-rated comic book drama/thriller without action and spectacle.

Edited by Firepower
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Hatebox said:

The OS figures are heartening. See, Hollywood? International audiences don't only like action movies.

Not really.

The Joker will have no effect on anything whatsoever.

Sorry.

Back to reality.

The Joker is the exception that confirms the tule, nothing more.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

Rated R;  no action, no kids and a $60 million budget.  And some think near a billion for this shouldn't be the story? Yes, sure End Game is the story of the year but it's been out of theaters for a while the steelbook is sitting on my shelf.  

This run is amazing no matter how you look at it.  There were no kids at our showing.  A movie damn near making a billion without them and without China is amazing. 

YOu re right.

WHo needs kids really ?