sfran43

Weekend Thread: Weekend Estimates - Jokah 55, Addams 30.3, Gemini 20.5, Abominable 6.2, Downton 4.9 | Parasite generates 125.4K PTA (highest since La La Land)

45 minutes ago, DAJK said:

How many theatres is Jojo expected to release in next weekend? Is it a platform release, or a "moderately limited i.e. 100-200 theatres"? 

October 18 Estimates
Updated Thursday afternoons

<< Prev. Week < Last Year View Index Next Year > Next Week >>
Rank LW Title Distributor Theater Count Change % Change Week #
> NEW RELEASES
1 - Maleficent: Mistress of Evil Buena Vista 3,700 - - 1
2 - Zombieland 2: Double Tap Sony / Columbia 3,400 - - 1
3 - Jojo Rabbit Fox Searchlight 5 - - 1

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Barely makes it sound bad?

Wasn’t $400m thrown around by the trades as the complete breakeven point, including marketing. 

Not many films do that from theatrical release alone these days. 

If that article was true then 400M would be bad, breakeven point include revenues estimate for year's after release, 400M is not nearly enough for this to break even from theatrical alone.

2 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

I checked around 830PM and both AMC and Cinemark seem to have dropped a hair under 20% today. So somewhere in 17.5-18m range sunday. I will update with final numbers in another 90 minutes.

May be slightly lower than that around 17-17.5m range.

AMC -  234131/573419

Cinemark -150215/288878(3646 shows)

PS for tomorrow is down 2/3 from today but I am expecting better PS to total gross.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Barnack said:

If that article was true then 400M would be bad, breakeven point include revenues estimate for year's after release, 400M is not nearly enough for this to break even from theatrical alone.

The article said that was the theatrical only goal. 

$400m worldwide for a film that cost $90m is great. It still has years of streaming, VOD, disc sales and TV deals worldwide to come its way. It’ll make profit. 

• Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

May be slightly lower than that around 17-17.5m range.

AMC -  234131/573419

Cinemark -150215/288878(3646 shows)

PS for tomorrow is down 2/3 from today but I am expecting better PS to total gross.

With that presale , do you think there is still a chance to drops lower than Venom 55% last year ?

21 hours ago, Krissykins said:

He has a tendency to shoot them in a way that it’s hard to actually see or keep up with what’s even going on, IMO. 

Aquaman was so much clearer and cleaner. 

I'd agree with this statement for his latest work where he lost a bit of his magic but there are action scenes in the first 3 movies which blew people away and many directors tried to mimic. Pearl Harbour may not he the greatest of movies but that middle segment was a work of art

22 hours ago, reddevil19 said:

Michael Bay's Transformers, especially from the 2nd on, look like they were shot by Michael J Fox holding the camera and edited by Edward Scissorhands, starring a screaming chipmunk for the first three movies and a confused drunk for the last two, so I'll talk shit all I want, as I am correct.

It's easy to shit on Shia LaBeouf now but lets not pretend those movies didnt make him a draw. Some of the greatest movie directors out there have acknowledged Bays talent in constructing an action scene so excuse me Reddevil19 from the movie forums but your opinion really doesn't cut it kid

21 hours ago, Napoleon said:

I thought Aquaman was terrible, but seeing Amber Heard humiliate Johnny Depp's Crimes Of Grindelwald at the box office, and outgross his entire career worldwide, was one of the most satisfying experiences of my life.

You mean the woman who's likely getting sued for false allegations?

19 minutes ago, boxofficeth said:

Any chance that Countdown will become a breakout?

I can’t see it breaking out but could easily see a solid opening around $10m. 

The trailer is a bit like an SNL sketch though. I’ll go and see it since it’s the only horror out. Doctor Sleep opens here the day after Halloween. 

26 minutes ago, Chucky said:

It's easy to shit on Shia LaBeouf now but lets not pretend those movies didnt make him a draw. Some of the greatest movie directors out there have acknowledged Bays talent in constructing an action scene so excuse me Reddevil19 from the movie forums but your opinion really doesn't cut it kid

Bay can plan an action scene. He just can't film and have it edited properly, all because he has the mindset of a 13-year-old. And you finishing that sentence with "kid" doesn't make you look as tough as you might think. 

And no, those movies didn't make Shia a draw. They made him more visible to other filmmakers, who either mistakenly thought he would be a box office draw, or actually thought he could act. Which I agree with - he can act. But he had nothing to work with in those movies, especially after the first, being reduced to incoherent noises and screams for the most part. But, again, I can't blame him, just like I can't blame Wahlberg for 4 and 5 (he is also good with the right material). It's all on the horrid scripts and incoherence both in story-telling and visuals.