Ryan Reynolds

Star Wars: Andor - Disney+ - September 21, 2022

Its fine, certainly better than Kenobi and Boba Fett but not as good as Mandalorian.  Stellan Skarsgard is just great at existing so I hope hes got a big role going forward.  Looking on imdb, I noticed Adria Arjona is only credited for 4 episodes.  If shes killed off next episode that would be disappointing.

11 hours ago, cannastop said:

Rogue One's characters are really boring.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Menor Reborn said:

Yeah this was awesome. It's really nice to be fully taken in by the Star Wars world again. 

One of the things that is good about this is that it is different from the Mando shows.  But the thing is, just as I don't want everything to be Favreau/Filoni style, I wouldn't want everything to be like this.

Gimme variety.  All over the map in style and presentation.  One of the reasons I'm super intrigued for, say, The Acolyte, is that it'll probably be different from both Andor and Mando in style and presentation.  Ahsoka, I'm sure is gonna be very similar in tone/style to Mando, but even that might be different if it doesn't have much of the Favreau hallmarks in it.

I think that's where D+ SW was suffering a bit in that Fett and even Kenobi were a bit too similar stylistically to Mando and the repetition was getting stale (especially since the execution was... uneven at times, shall we say). 

But by the time Mando S3 rolls around, there should enough pallet cleansers that I'll be in the mood for more Mando Goodness.  Especially if they can stick to an Adventure of the Week format even while sticking to a meta-plot.

(just something I wanted to get off my chest and this post seemed like a good springboard for it)

• Like 3

She wasn't boring at all, nor is it any "coincidence" that she didn't get her own show. And no by "Disney standards" she shouldn't have gotten any by now either. We've seen exactly two shows like that, one of a multiple decade old fan-favourite character, one about one of the most famous characters of the entire saga. Comparing that to a character who is just a few years old just lacks any sort of logic.

We didn't get a show about Andor because Andor is oh so relevant. We got the show because it fits into the frame of telling a story about the developing rebellion. He just so happens t be a long-time rebel you can us as the lead. Jyn Erso, on the other hand, spend the last few years prior to Rogue One as someone who just got by on her own, completely disconnected from larger events. At the start of Andor, she is either at the end of her time with Saw, or has already been left behind by him.

While you could certainly tell a story about someone who gets through life as a low-level criminal, we kind of got that in all the other shows already. Unlike with Andor, you can't connect her to a larger story, or you contradict her storyline of Rogue One.

• Like 11

Watched the first three episodes tonight. Rogue One isn't among my favorite Star Wars movies but I dig the tone this is going for. It really stands out from the other shows as something distinctive and its own thing. Also the acting here is a cut above what we usually see from these productions (Star Wars has never been known for being an "actor's franchise" despite usually recruiting reliable actors). Excited to see where the rest of the show goes.

• Like 2

Can cut the tension with a knife with some of these scenes.

Spoiler

Again, appreciate that they're not having Action Scene for Action Scene's sake.

They care far far faaaaar more about setting up the story, introducing the characters, and giving them motivation.  Setting up logical conclusions to character actions and then stepping back and let the story unfold.

The one teeny tiny issue is...

Spoiler

It still is failing slightly on "tell a story in one episode", but I think what is being told inside the episode is good enough not to matter.  Not for me, at any rate

Still, after four episodes, it's becoming fairly apparent this is gonna be a stylistic choice here.

Reminds me of Old School Clone Wars and their approach to arcs, actually.  Interesting to see that play out in a more traditional format.

Finally, non-spoiler observation:  GOD DAMN, is the acting stellar in this show.   As is the direction.

Can't compliment it enough.

• Like 4

Yeah I'm loving this show, I'm interested in all the different plotlines being set up and like watching them simmer. 

Spoiler

And seeing Coruscant in live-action properly again was a treat (we did get some flashbacks and stuff previously but this the first real material there since ROTS).

Really intrigued by where Mon Mothma's story is going to go, hopefully we get to see some politicking next episode. 

Judging by the quality of the effects in this show so far, seeing The Eye of Aldani at the end of this arc will be a treat for the eyes. 

Edited by Menor Reborn
  • Like 5

6 hours ago, Menor Reborn said:

Yeah I'm loving this show, I'm interested in all the different plotlines being set up and like watching them simmer. 

Reveal hidden contents

I wonder if this is actually what we've seen in the trailer.

Spoiler

Right near the end of the trailer, there is a colourful sky to be seen as Cassian is flying a ship.

Really good episode. No action, but it didn't really need any, as there was great tension throughout. Just the right stuff for this sort of show. Not to harp on Boab Fett and Kenobi, but the writing and acting in Andor is just on another level. Those two shows had great stuff sprinkled throughout, but here you have a constantly high level from basically everyone.

• Like 5

BTW, lol at Grace Randolph and her "Andor has no/not enough Easter Eggs" comment. :hahaha:

(it's pretty clear in retrospect she meant "fan service", with a lean toward "in your face" fan service/cameos)

((still, lol Grace, for ever and always))

• Astonished 1

25 minutes ago, Porthos said:

BTW, lol at Grace Randolph and her "Andor has no/not enough Easter Eggs" comment. :hahaha:

(it's pretty clear in retrospect she meant "fan service", with a lean toward "in your face" fan service/cameos)

((still, lol Grace, for ever and always))

Yeah this episode actually had the best Easter eggs. That is how you do fanservice. 

8 minutes ago, Menor Reborn said:

Yeah this episode actually had the best Easter eggs. That is how you do fanservice. 

It (and really the whole show) is littered with Easter Eggs.  Most of which just sail right by me.  Like, the one lots of people are going ape shit about?

Spoiler

The reference to Rakatan passed right by me, not being a KOTOR player/aficionado.

But I also had no idea it was a reference, so it didn't distract from anything.

Hell, even something like "Hosnian Prime" which of course I recognized, would just pass someone by who hadn't seen TFA.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Porthos said:

It (and really the whole show) is littered with Easter Eggs.  Most of which just sail right by me.  Like, the one lots of people are going ape shit about?

Hide contents

The reference to Rakatan passed right by me, not being a KOTOR player/aficionado.

But I also had no idea it was a reference, so it didn't distract from anything.

Hell, even something like "Hosnian Prime" which of course I recognized, would just pass someone by who hadn't seen TFA.

You haven't played KOTOR? Did you try it and it wasn't your thing, or just haven't played at all? If the latter, I'd recommend giving it a shot, it's a great game even if dated.