Ryan Reynolds

Star Wars: Andor - Disney+ - September 21, 2022

On 10/19/2022 at 12:04 PM, Porthos said:

One of the things I really love about this series is... I won't call it subtle writing cause it really isn't (at least for prestige mainstream television).

But what it is, is consistent.  Very very consistent. Hardly a wrong note struck at any point.  Which, with as many plotlines as are currently going on (five or six depending on how one wants to count), is no small thing.

No, instead of subtle I will use "clever".  This series is very clever at times. 

Example:

Hide contents

the whole political courtship/alliance making between Mon Mothma and her childhood friend she's trying to reel in, Tay Kolma.   

The dual lines of "find my politics a bit strong for your taste" was a great bit of feint and counter-feint.  

But the really clever bit is that Mon Mothma was unsure about just how much she could trust Tay.  Did she dare go through with her plan?  Even though she had committed, she was still unsure/uneasy.  Trust isn't an easy thing when there is this level of treason going on, after all.

When she heard that line though and what his perception of her was, you could see the wheels turning in her head, thinking things over, having plans click into place/solidify.  After that moment, she was resolute and took charge of the dance, all hesitancy and self-doubt gone.

(also, once again, Genevieve O'Reilly is absolutely killing it as Mothma)

Just an utterly fantastic scene, capped by her quoting the line right back at him. 

best scene of the entire show so far imo. Mon Mothma mvp.

• Like 2

So, in SW parlance, this would be The Empire Strikes Back episode when it comes to The Low Point for the Heroes.

Not quite as engaging as some of the other episodes as this was a clear Part 1, but even as an introductory episode of an arc it still was tense and taught, and as sharply written as ever.

Stray thoughts:

Spoiler

Not gonna be long before Andor hooks up with the dissidents in the prison, I'd wager.

Seeing Forrest Whitaker is always a delight.  As is seeing Andy Serkis as a flesh and blood actor, as it reminds us that he is a very good actor when given half a chance.

And, finally, Syril.... You gone done in over your head. In fact, count yourself lucky it's still attached to its neck.  Won't be surprised at all if his actions actually help the Rebels thanks to his over-eagerness. 

One other last bit, aksually.

Spoiler

It's been shown in other media before, but a clever bit of writing was showing why the Rebellion eventually became known as The Rebel Alliance.  This is showing the actual distinct, very disparate parts of the folks honked off at the Empire, who have yet to band together.  Wouldn't be too surprised if a good deal of Andor is showing the Alliance in the Rebel Alliance forming.  In fact, I might be a bit surprised if the show isn't sowing the seeds of that.

• Like 2

Best beginning episode of an arc so far. 

Spoiler

The dynamic between Luthen and Saw was amazing. There were a lot of great moments between characters this episode. Luthen and Kleya, Mon’s political interactions as always, Cassian and Kino, Vel and Cinta, Meera and Syril. A perfect blend of writing and acting.

I really liked how this episode showed how the Empire is crossing lines and creating potential rebellion within people everywhere from politicians to common people to prisoners. Like Luthen said, there needs to be oppression for rebellion to occur and the Empire is doing a very good job of that with the P.O.R.D measures

Edited by Inceptionzq
  • Like 1

Another great episode, they did a great job of making

Spoiler

the Empire prison seem utterly miserable and hopeless. The Mon Mothma scenes are the weakest in the show and they're not even that bad, they're well written and acted scenes, just a little dull.

• Like 1

On 10/26/2022 at 1:04 AM, dudalb said:

Agreed. But ,sadly, it seems not to be doing all the well in viewer numbers.

That's a shame but there's already a second season planned that leads all the way to Rogue One events that I assume will happen anyway even if just for the good reception Andor is having right now. Doesn't seem in danger of not finishing its story.

If you ask me I think they should do more than 2 seasons if the Disney overlords allow it. The story starts early enough in the Rebellion, that they could do many adventures and expand even more the cast of reccuring characters before Cassian has to join the Rogue One crew. #sixseasonsandamoviethatalreadyhappened 

Episode 8 was pretty solid. I'm not quite as invested as I was in the previous arc but still interested in where this one is headed. Syril was the MVP here, his scenes were excellent. Really liked how the prison planet was visualized though, some of the shots gave me major Kamino vibes which is an interesting parallel. 

• Like 1

So this is something I've been thinking about for a while, but I don't think I've commented on it (much) in this thread.  

There's been a lot of searching and grasping for analogies for just what type of show Andor really is.  Star Wars for Grownups has been thrown around a lot.  Comparisons to shows like The Americans or films like Michael Collins or even comparisons to The Clone Wars animated series when it comes to structure (one I myself have made).

But it struck me a few weeks ago that what this show is most like is some of the novels (and comics) that was then called the "Expanded Universe" and now called "Legends".  Not so much exact storylines or even the maturity level, though there is that, but the sheer breadth and attention to detail they've been taking.  It's a je ne sais quoi that I'm not sure I can easily put into words, except to say that it has the DNA of a lot of those books of back then.  Multi-faceted characters, taking time to just show "scenes in a day", complexity of the actual writing.  All of that is what I am reminded of when I think of the more "gritty" down to earth novels of the old EU (haven't really kept up on current novels, so really can't comment on them too much). 

So I suppose maybe the best way to Andor to a SW fan of a certain age is, simply: Imagine if a non-Jedi centric EU novel were televised, and it would be Andor.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

Imagine being such a slimy preening creep that Space Karen Dedre Meero has a look of disgust when you absolutely bomb a flirt attempt on her

Well, to be fair, it was less "preening creep" and more "weirdo stalker".  

I mean, dude is seriously lucky to still be breathing after trying to Creep Stalk a member of the Space Gestapo. 👍

Spoiler

Actually was a rather nice piece of character development on her part to be weirded out/uncomfortable rather than just "throw this dog in the kennel where he belongs"/on top of the situation.  Showed she does in fact have some cracks in her armor/isn't perfectly always in control of things

Also setting up Syril as a spanner in the works quite nicely, I think.