Ryan Reynolds

Star Wars: Andor - Disney+ - September 21, 2022

Another fantastic episode. Still can't believe Disney gave Gilroy all this freedom and boy has it paid off. Just looking forward to this week after week.

Interrogation of Bix was great.just love how the empire is intimidating without having to be  over the top. 

Syril had me chuckling this episode though I wish his plot would move a little bit faster.

Everything at the prison continues to be fantastic. 

• Like 4

Even though Andor is probably the least compelling character in this show, overall it still feels too good to be Star Wars, it makes the rest of the franchise look shitty except ESB.

Like, its crazy how they had the balls to have a woman working for the Empire initially sympathetic before making her go full Gestapo with that not SS doctor looking MF in that interrogation/torture scene.

Now I'm looking forward to Season 2 where its compromised with a bunch forced setups for future spinoffs.

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

On 11/2/2022 at 7:23 PM, Porthos said:

But it struck me a few weeks ago that what this show is most like is some of the novels (and comics) that was then called the "Expanded Universe" and now called "Legends".  Not so much exact storylines or even the maturity level, though there is that, but the sheer breadth and attention to detail they've been taking.  It's a je ne sais quoi that I'm not sure I can easily put into words, except to say that it has the DNA of a lot of those books of back then.  Multi-faceted characters, taking time to just show "scenes in a day", complexity of the actual writing.  All of that is what I am reminded of when I think of the more "gritty" down to earth novels of the old EU (haven't really kept up on current novels, so really can't comment on them too much). 

So I suppose maybe the best way to Andor to a SW fan of a certain age is, simply: Imagine if a non-Jedi centric EU novel were televised, and it would be Andor.

The thing about the EU is that it was like a box of chocolates, you didn't know what you were gonna get.

For every Zahn or X-Wing novel, there was a Crystal Star, or New Rebellion. You could get a tribe of quasi-dominatrix Force witches riding rancors, or you could get a moon dropped onto Chewbacca. There was A LOT of variation in tone, feel, and quality control.

Luckily Andor is on the good side of the analogy.

• Like 4

Just caught up, and really enjoying it so far. Sometimes there's a little bit of a Star Wars uncanny valley feeling for me (not enough different alien species, maybe?), but production design is so good it's crazy. 

The concept of the prison is so good and so, so unnerving. Can't wait to see what the plan is next week.

The ending of this episode was awesome and the prison is a really compelling location. Enjoyed how the other subplots moved as well.

Spoiler

My only gripe is that I would have liked to see the development of Andor's dynamic with the other prisoners and with Andy Serkis' character. It felt like a pretty quick change from last week although obviously time has passed. 

BTW...

MAJOR SPOILERS:

Spoiler

We're starting the Kino Lives campaign RIGHT FUCKING NOW, right? j1aUlyv.gif

KINO LIVES!!!!!! j1aUlyv.gif j1aUlyv.gif j1aUlyv.gif

(never saw the body you know)

((could have been pushed off and had others carry him to safety as they swam toward freedom))

KINO LIVES!!!!! j1aUlyv.gif 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I'm still aghast at how well written and directed this show is

And Stellan Skarsgard really is one of the goat's.  It says a lot when he can make a simple dialogue scene more exciting and more compelling than an already excellent extended prison break sequence.

• Like 5

The only flaw I really see with ANDOR is that Cassian Andor himself is rarely, if ever the most compelling character on the show.  While by no means bad, he's consistently upstaged by the excellent supporting cast whether its Andy Serkis, Stellan Skarsgard, Mon Mothma, Dedra, etc.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Ozymandias said:

The only flaw I really see with ANDOR is that Cassian Andor himself is rarely, if ever the most compelling character on the show.  While by no means bad, he's consistently upstaged by the excellent supporting cast whether its Andy Serkis, Stellan Skarsgard, Mon Mothma, Dedra, etc.

I feel at big part of it is by design. He's the audience surrogate and I think they 're playing a long game with his arc compared to everyone elses. Cassian lives through all this and slowly gets defined by what's happening to him and the others but the mini arcs are not about him. The heist was about Nemik and the others already true believers, the prison break was about Andy Serkis realization etc.

• Like 5