Ryan Reynolds

Star Wars: Andor - Disney+ - September 21, 2022

9 hours ago, Joel M said:

I feel at big part of it is by design. He's the audience surrogate and I think they 're playing a long game with his arc compared to everyone elses. Cassian lives through all this and slowly gets defined by what's happening to him and the others but the mini arcs are not about him. The heist was about Nemik and the others already true believers, the prison break was about Andy Serkis realization etc.

An observation I've seen more than once is that he helps inspire others to be leaders. Jyn in Rogue One, Kino in this.  A reflective quality to him that doesn't exactly make him a leading man, but is more suited for the ensemble nature of this show. 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

Can't wait to watch this soon. Seems like it's wayyyyy better than Rogue One.

I used to think Rogue One was only half a great movie because they took it away from the director and reshot stuff. Without knowing who did what, I'm kinda flipped now into thinking that Gilroy did the best he could with Edwards paper thin characters.

• Like 1

Also, no real context spoilers, but gonna spoiler bar it all the same:

Spoiler

Zero percent chance this isn't a call forward.  Like, utterly zero percent chance.

(some of the things that are allegedly call forwards, I think are a bit dubious and just coincidences.  But this?  No chance in hell it ain't intentional)

• Like 3

Okay, I know I go on about things like this*, but I am struck again by the subtly of some of the writing here.

* in fairness, I did warn you all months ago that I would be talking about this nonstop.

Still within semi-official spoiler period, so...

Spoiler

When Saw is first informed that Kreegyr is walking into a trap and won't be told, he's incredulous.

Saw: You're willing to burn him.

Luthen [still referring to previous topic] : You're the random factor.

Saw [incredulous]: It's thirty men!

Luthen: Plus Kreegyr.

Saw is appalled at how Luthen is just willing to throw all those lives away.  Luthen immediately rebuts and makes it personal by putting a human face on the situation.  A direct inversion of "A million is a statistic".

Then, just to reinforce it...

After Saw has calmed down:

Luthen: I didn't want you to have to make this choice.

Saw [thinking things over]: Thirty men?

Luthen: Plus Kreegyr.

*Luthen looks dejected after saying this*

It also says something about the head space of the two.  Saw immediately latches on to what happens to a group of people while Luthen immediately pivots to the personal.  Saw being a soldier/guerrilla thinks about all the people that would be under his command/as a rebel think about what happens to groups of people while Luthen being the spymaster thinking about individual contacts he's cultivated. 

Yet, the really neat thing is... they were BOTH affected by the other's arguments/POVs.

Maybe Luthen was lying after he was pressed about it being "worth losing Kreegyr" when he responded "I did.  I'm not so sure right now".  Then again, he did give Saw the choice of going ahead and trying to save Kreegyr, so perhaps not.  Or, hell, maybe there's second or third level thinking going on and he only offered Saw the choice because he felt he could talk Saw around into the 'correct' choice.  Lots of possibilities, all supported by the writing, acting, and directing.

Really, that whole scene was a tour de force with Forest Whitaker and Stellan Skarsgard with so many layers (is this where the seeds for Saw's paranoia really took root, or was it already there and Luthen just took advantage of it).  But the "Plus Kreegyr" is one that struck me at the time and I wanted to point out.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

On 11/9/2022 at 6:14 PM, Porthos said:

Fantastically great interview with showrunner, Tony Gilroy:

Hide contents

He's only fueling my "Kino Lives!" campaign, you know! :lol:

(sly dog knows exactly what he's doing with that comment, of course)

Tony's been giving some good interviews recently.

https://www.rollingstone.com/tv-movies/tv-movie-features/andor-explained-season-1-finale-season-2-preview-1234626573/

• Like 1

On 11/4/2022 at 3:53 PM, ChipDerby said:

It honestly makes me angry how good this show is. Like, why hasn't all of the Star Wars stuff been this good???

Because it might be it's the first SW item in which somebody said, "Let's make this for adults, and not throw in stuff because the kids will like it".

• Like 1

Nicholas Brittel once again episode MVP for that music at the end.

Spoiler

Also am I crazy or was that one of the coolest dogfights in all of Star Wars? This show even does that shit better than the newer movies, which you'd think would be the one place where the movies would excel. That scene was such a cool surprise and felt totally natural, it was a classic Star Wars setpiece but didn't feel shoe-horned or fan service-y at all. Then Luthen just peaces out like nothing and makes the empire look like bitches. Great character.

Edited by MOVIEGUY
  • Like 3