Ryan Reynolds

Star Wars: Andor - Disney+ - September 21, 2022

I just rechecked the stream and I can't help but note a conspicuous lack of Alan Tudyk, both in the announced actors as well as the concept art.

Makes me wonder if he got cut during development or if K-2SO is showing up later in the series.

FWIW, which might not be much, Alan Tudyk didn't tweet a thing during today's presentation, not even an RT of any of the announcements.

Curious.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/diego-luna-on-wander-darkly-and-the-cinematic-feel-of-andor

Shifting gears, in Rogue One, Cassian Andor has one of the most interesting and nuanced character introductions in all of Star Wars since he had to sacrifice an informant to protect his mission. As far as Andor is concerned, are you excited to explore what got him to that point where he’s willing to make the hard choice?

Definitely. It’s really interesting to tell a story even though we know where it ends. The way you can approach a story like this inevitably takes you into a deeper process of reflection. I tend to use that word a lot. So once you know what Cassian is capable of, then there’s room for so much exploration, and that’s something that excites me a lot as an actor. I think the format of a series is amazing because we have a lot of time to explore all those layers. What happens in Rogue One is something we can actually reflect on, and what’s behind something like [sacrificing an informant]. It’s a very interesting challenge, the one we have in front of us. So I’m really excited to go back to that character because I really enjoyed playing him, and I was really happy with what the film represents. Rogue One was a story of regular people. It was regular people doing incredible things, and in a way, it’s a film that reminds us of the power we all have if we have a conviction. So, yeah, I feel blessed to have the chance to revisit this role.

Is Andor using Stagecraft technology to some extent?

(Laughs.) I have to be very careful in the way I answer everything. The way we’re shooting this reminds me of how we shot the film, and the amount of work behind this TV series reminds me of the work you do for a film. It feels like we’re doing a very long movie.

• Like 2

One reason they might not be using Stagecraft in London is.... It's still being built, as I understand it. :lol: 

3 NEW ILM STAGECRAFT STAGES COMING SOON & GLOBAL TRAINEE PROGRAM ANNOUNCED (ILM)

ILM expects to have the new stages up and running for production in London in February of 2021 and in Los Angeles in March, with a mix of projects from features to commercials in line to take advantage of them. The company is currently fielding inquiries for future bookings by studios and filmmakers. For more information or to express interest in the Jedi Academy program visit our careers site.

What this does suggest to me is that depending on how the shooting schedule is going, the shots that rely on Stagecraft/episodes that heavily rely on it will be later on in the shoot. If there are any.

Just now, Porthos said:

One reason they might not be using Stagecraft in London is.... It's still being built, as I understand it. :lol: 

3 NEW ILM STAGECRAFT STAGES COMING SOON & GLOBAL TRAINEE PROGRAM ANNOUNCED (ILM)

What this does suggest to me is that depending on how the shooting schedule is going, the shots that rely on Stagecraft/episodes that heavily rely on it will be later on in the shoot. If there are any.

As a side point, I've been wondering if this show is gonna be split when it eventually airs in to two six episode blocks.  I've got a few reasons for thinking this might be the case and perhaps having a different production pipeline on the back end of the shoot (if it does in fact ever use Stagecraft) is one of them.

Most of the others are down to timing with at least four live-action SW shows due to be dropped between Dec 2021 and Dec 2022.  If Andor is split in twine and the first half airs in the traditional Oct to Nov Mando slot (with the back half sometime mid-2022) that gives the schedule more room to breathe.

Isn't this show supposed to start in 2022?

Splitting it into two blocks might be possible, but I don't think that we will see any episodes next year yet.

It might be possible that the whole Corona-virus situation has caused a delay in production to the extend that the Boba Fett show will be the next thing that runs, and later than The Mandalorian did this year and last year. At this point it looks like 2021 will be rather empty, while 2022 will be a complete overload.

18 minutes ago, George Parr said:

Isn't this show supposed to start in 2022?

Splitting it into two blocks might be possible, but I don't think that we will see any episodes next year yet.

It might be possible that the whole Corona-virus situation has caused a delay in production to the extend that the Boba Fett show will be the next thing that runs, and later than The Mandalorian did this year and last year. At this point it looks like 2021 will be rather empty, while 2022 will be a complete overload.

Well, Disney just dropped a presser kit that lays out their "major" 2021 D+ slate and Andor was nowhere to be seen, so not very likely, no.  Looks to be near wall-to-wall Marvel this coming year, aside from SW animated content.

The thing is, 2022 is gonna be stacked even without a single Marvel release (which, of course, isn't happening).

Consider this:

Mid-Dec - Jan: Fett (penciling in 6 episodes for now; could be more)

Feb - March: Mando S3 (8 episodes, presumably)

May: Kenobi (4 to 6 episodes)

July - Sep: Andor (12 episodes)

I didn't put in much of a gap for Fett/Mando as I presume they're gonna lead right into each other with at most a couple of weeks delay.  Did leave April completely open for the schedule to breathe, and put Kenobi in May for silly May the Fourth reasons, but that could obvs be moved down the calendar.   And I didn't pencil in any SW for late 2022.

But if Fett is 8 episodes instead of 6 (it was described as an original series and not a limited/event one) or it actually starts Xmas week of 2021, that starts pushing things back.

And none of that has the MCU series in there (Moon Knight and She-Hulk for right now) as I didn't want to try to figure that out.   If I did try to figure that out, it could be something like this:

Oct 21 - Mid Nov 21: Ms. Marvel

Mid Nov 21 - Dec 21: Hawkeye

Xmas Dec 21 - Early Feb 22: The Book of Boba Fett

Mid Feb 22 - Mar 22: Moon Knight

April 22 - May 22: Mando S3

June 22 - Mid July 22: She-Hulk 

Aug 22: Kenobi

Sep 22 - Nov 22: Andor

Leaving Dec 22 open for now.  Is room for some gaps here and there.  But I have to wonder if Disney is gonna have to sooner or later have live-action Marvel and SW overlapping at some point or another.  Getting in Ms. Marvel and Hawkeye as "Late 2021" without it bumping into The Book of Boba Fett might require some work.

NOTE:  Only included things that have 21 and 22 as release dates so didn't include things like Rangers or Secret Invasion.

From Collider:

Still, he’s resolute that he will be on Andor at some point and that series creator (and Rogue One co-writer) Tony Gilroy has a plan for his character in mind, which is pretty exciting. “I'm going to be in the show. It's just that the story that Tony [Gilroy] is telling doesn't involve K-2SO until later on... I can't be too specific, but I can definitely say that I'm not going to be in the first season.” So there you have it: K-2SO will return but not yet.

Wish I could say I'm surprised by this, but I'm not.  Ever since the word came down that this series was being retooled from it original pitch combined with the pretty conspicuous silence from Alan Tuduk last December when various Andor announcements were being made, I figured K-2SO was either in the back half of S1 or not in it all together.

Still something of a chance that if this is a split season (that is two sets of six episode blocks) then he's in a back half and they're just calling it S2.

On the very slighter brighter side, does seem to imply this isn't a one-and-done series.  That is, if Andor is successful, we'll see more of it.

But, not gonna lie, can't say I'm thrilled to get confirmation of this as I was really looking forward to more K2.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

Huh

Figured it'd be a limited series 

I think it was originally going to be a miniseries/limited series, if I recall some of the discussion that came after it was first announced.

But what could have happened, and this is what I saw mused over at KRT earlier today, is that the original pitch was gonna be a mini/limited but when Tony Gilroy came on board, his retooled show had room for more scope/stories.

That is, the original idea from Stephen Schiff was gonna be limited, but when Gilroy took over he had more ideas for things.

Or maybe Schiff's series was initally gonna be limited, but with the option for more down the road.  Who knows.

Have to say my eyebrow raised when I heard there were gonna be 12 episodes as that certainly didn't sound "limited" to me. So that there might be future seasons isn't that big of a surprise.

*thinks*

*checks*

Yeah, the press blast from December:

Andor

Andor, a tense nail-biting spy thriller created by Tony Gilroy, is set to arrive on Disney+ in 2022. Diego Luna, reprising the role of rebel spy Cassian Andor from Rogue One, will be joined by a fantastic new cast that includes Stellan Skarsgard, Adria Arjona, Fiona Shaw, Denise Gough, Kyle Soller, and Genevieve O’Reilly as Mon Mothma. Production kicked off three weeks ago in London.

Unlike other ones mentioned that day, no mention whatsoever of it being a limited series.

Edited by Porthos

I know that there's a timer between this and Rogue One, as well as Diego Luna's real age making things complicated, but I feel like Andor was one of the SW shows announced that lent itself best to multiple seasons. I feel that you can have him do different heists and jobs and adventures for three or four seasons, whether stand-alone or story arcs, and still have a solid conclusion that sets up Rogue One.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Eric Gardner said:

I know that there's a timer between this and Rogue One, as well as Diego Luna's real age making things complicated, but I feel like Andor was one of the SW shows announced that lent itself best to multiple seasons. I feel that you can have him do different heists and jobs and adventures for three or four seasons, whether stand-alone or story arcs, and still have a solid conclusion that sets up Rogue One.

Don't think his age is going to be an issue, he has eternal youth. I watched that sizzle reel clip and assumed he was mid-late twenties. He's 41 :o 

He will look the same as he did in 2016.

I watched Rogue One last night actually and I still really don't see why Disney thought this show was a good idea. The character/actor is really dull in the movie.

Tho I am all for live-action Rebellion stuff.

===

File this as a rumor for now.  Some folks over at SW Leaks over at reddit are slightly skeptical claiming that Illuminerdi can have a spotty track record at times.  Still, does make some amount of sense to interconnect these two shows given the time frames and characters involved.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Porthos said:

===

File this as a rumor for now.  Some folks over at SW Leaks over at reddit are slightly skeptical claiming that Illuminerdi can have a spotty track record at times.  Still, does make some amount of sense to interconnect these two shows given the time frames and characters involved.

I'm not sure I like the idea of Obi-Wan having any sort of involvement in the Rebellion prior to A New Hope. I'm already a bit wary of him having too many adventures outside of his solitude in Tatooine. A couple of references are alright but preferably no appearances.

Just now, Darth Lehnsherr said:

I'm not sure I like the idea of Obi-Wan having any sort of involvement in the Rebellion prior to A New Hope. I'm already a bit wary of him having too many adventures outside of his solitude in Tatooine. A couple of references are alright but preferably no appearances.

I was just thinking about this.  Bail Organa knows exactly where Kenobi is and what he's up to.  I believe it's been rumored that Jimmy Smits is gonna be in Andor in some fashion or another.  Doesn't seem a huge stretch that they would get connected story wise for one reason or another.

Plenty of ways to make it work.  Might depend on how much Andor and Kenobi are gonna link into each other. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I was just thinking about this.  Bail Organa knows exactly where Kenobi is and what he's up to. 

I assumed Bail was the one who dropped Obi off at Tatooine in the first place

• Like 2