TMP

THE NORTHMAN | April 22, 2022 | Robert Eggers Joint | Alexander Skarsgard

On 4/24/2022 at 4:34 PM, JustWatching said:

I absolutely loved it. Beautiful, bloody, unrelenting and unafraid to lean into magic and mysticism. Special shout-out to Nicole Kidman for a fantastic performance. My showing was a pretty well attended matinee (40-50 people) and the crowd seemed to like it, based on the chatter I heard afterward. 10/10 from me.

Kidman is so much better when she stars in something crazy like this than in by numbers biopics. Agreed with your review. Really loved magic and mysticism too. Surprised it took them so long to use Skarsgaard in something like this. 

• Like 3

It opened with the same as The Last Duel here which is kinda fantastic considering Last Duel was a solid performer here and it has much bigger draws and marketing campaign.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Kidman is so much better when she stars in something crazy like this than in by numbers biopics. Agreed with your review. Really loved magic and mysticism too. Surprised it took them so long to use Skarsgaard in something like this. 

Skarsgaard was attempting to develop a Norse/Viking epic, himself, before he heard Eggers was doing one.  But I think he might have consciously/unconsciously avoided it for a long time, even though he explains in recent interviews that this stuff was always in his soul.  

3 hours ago, Macleod said:

Skarsgaard was attempting to develop a Norse/Viking epic, himself, before he heard Eggers was doing one.  But I think he might have consciously/unconsciously avoided it for a long time, even though he explains in recent interviews that this stuff was always in his soul.  

If he still wants to develop another or a series I'm all for it. he was amazing.

I read somewhere in The Northman discussion that long time ago Mel Gibson wanted to make a Viking movie with Leo in Old Norse. That would have been epic if Gibson didn't go off the rocker in the meantime. If Leo could turn The Revenant into a boxoffice blockbuster imagine what he would do with a Viking movie.

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

It was really good and despite the bigger budget and familiar narrative it's pretty much of a piece with Eggers previous movies which is a huge compliment imo. Everyone was good but the one that sticks the most is Kidman being a glorified extra until she isn't. She's just to good to be directed by Aaron Sorkin. 

@Valonqar I remember that Gibson project and that it was rumoured to be not in english ala Apocalypto/Passion of Christ. That would have been special. If only he hadn't cancel himself five times since then.

Edited by Joel M
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, Joel M said:

It was really good and despite the bigger budget and familiar narrative it's pretty much of a piece with Eggers previous movies which is a huge compliment imo. Everyone was good but the one that sticks the most is Kidman being a glorified extra until she isn't. She's just to good to be directed by Aaron Sorkin

@Valonqar I remember that Gibson project and that it was rumoured to be not in english ala Apocalypto/Passion of Christ. That would have been special. If only he hadn't cancel himself five times since then.

Aint that the truth. More Eggers no Sorkin, please!

Thanks for confirming that movie was rumored indeed.

• Like 2

So this one will likely bow out at 70 milion WW, given that it currently sits at 64 mil with Singapore and Taiwan still to come.

With a reported budget of at least 70 milion (95 according to other sources), and considering that Everything Everywhere all at once will likely outgross it WW, can it officially be considered a box office bomb?

It is a flop, that is for sure.

I liked it a lot, but honestly I think Eggers is too much of a "arthouse cinema bros" or "film twitter" delight for the general public to enjoy. Also Skaarskard and Anya Taylor Joy can't open a movie (the former has a full career of flops, with Tarzan being the one exception, while the latter just flopped with Last night in Soho) , and you can't rely on Kidman (in a very limited, supporting role) to carry a movie nowadays. 

This shouldn't deter studios from financing epic movies in the future, but they should look at what didn't work (commercially) here and never make the same mistakes. 

Edited by ThePrinceIsOnFire
  • Knock It Off 1

On 5/26/2022 at 2:26 PM, ThePrinceIsOnFire said:

So this one will likely bow out at 70 milion WW, given that it currently sits at 64 mil with Singapore and Taiwan still to come.

With a reported budget of at least 70 milion (95 according to other sources), and considering that Everything Everywhere all at once will likely outgross it WW, can it officially be considered a box office bomb?

It is a flop, that is for sure.

I liked it a lot, but honestly I think Eggers is too much of a "arthouse cinema bros" or "film twitter" delight for the general public to enjoy. Also Skaarskard and Anya Taylor Joy can't open a movie (the former has a full career of flops, with Tarzan being the one exception, while the latter just flopped with Last night in Soho) , and you can't rely on Kidman (in a very limited, supporting role) to carry a movie nowadays. 

This shouldn't deter studios from financing epic movies in the future, but they should look at what didn't work (commercially) here and never make the same mistakes. 

"The Northman" is just an unlucky accident.  The film was greenlighted pre-COVID (with around $50 million budget), and then it went wildly overbudget because of COVID.  (Many films went wildly overbudget because of COVID.)

Ironically, without COVID, the film would probably be a modest box office success.

After COVID, most audience just want to watch this kinds of film at home. 

"The Northman" is doing great on VOD (the film is even doing almost as good as "The Bad Guys" and "The Lost City" on PVOD.)

Edited by John2015

1 hour ago, ThomasNicole said:

Yeah i wouldn't call this a bomb 

Read the quote she gave carefully. It made money for Universal/Focus, not for New Regency who put up most of the money and likely ended up in the red. 

It's telling when you see the distinction put up in that response, it's a very carefully worded response.

The Northman was among Focus’ splashier and more expensive recent features, but sadly didn’t do as well as had been hoped at the box office. Were any lessons learned from that?

This has been spoken about before, but it actually ended up being a win for us financially. There was a special set of circumstances about the theatrical release, plus PVOD. I know in the press it hasn’t been lauded as a success, but it was OK for us in the end. There are additional ways for us to monetize things, at least for us at Universal. It was one we shared with New Regency, and we weren’t really front and center on production of that.

Edited by grim22
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, grim22 said:

Read the quote she gave carefully. It made money for Universal/Focus, not for New Regency who put up most of the money and likely ended up in the red. 

It's telling when you see the distinction put up in that response, it's a very carefully worded response.

Focus was responsible for spending  50% of the film's budget.

https://deadline.com/2022/04/box-office-northman-bad-guys-unbearable-weight-of-massive-talent-1235007973/

Risk was mitigated here 50/50, I hear, on the budget between Focus and New Regency

• Like 1

2 hours ago, grim22 said:

It was 50/50 iirc, so they probably get the same

• Like 1