TMP

THE NORTHMAN | April 22, 2022 | Robert Eggers Joint | Alexander Skarsgard

4 hours ago, John2015 said:

Looks like another epic box office flop like "The Last Duel".  Most People will only watch this kind of film in streaming rather than in theaters.

It looks great to me but it doesn't seem like the kind of movie that makes money in theaters anymore. If tracking doesn't look good, I wouldn't be shocked if Universal puts it day and date on Peacock to try to get it more eyeballs. The reported budget is $60 million, roughly half what The Last Duel cost. 

Edited by EmmaPeel

This looks fucking fantastic.

I really hope this can surprise at the boxoffice. Im not expecting a genuine hit, but I'm hoping it can at least get to $100m WW. On a $60m budget,  that's obviously not profitable. But it'll be fine enough for the times. In terms of accessibility goes, this looks very similar to The Revenant. Nothing like The Green Knight. Obviously this doesn't star Leo Dicaprio and Tom Hardy but I think General Audiences may be into this. I wonder if it's gonna play in front of any big movies coming up? Omicron should hopefully have peaked a while before its release

Edited by Pinacolada
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pinacolada said:

This looks fucking fantastic.

I really hope this can surprise at the boxoffice. Im not expecting a genuine hit, but I'm hoping it can at least get to $100m WW. On a $60m budget,  that's obviously not profitable. But it'll be fine enough for the times. In terms of accessibility goes, this looks very similar to The Revenant. Nothing like The Green Knight. Obviously this doesn't star Leo Dicaprio and Tom Hardy but I think General Audiences may be into this. I wonder if it's gonna play in front of any big movies coming up? Omicron should hopefully have peaked a while before its release

I’d be surprised if the trailer is not played in front of either Scream, Morbius Uncharted or Batman. 

That Mel Gibson vikings film would have been great (I still have hope and of course here I'm strongly Braveheart-infuenced which was my second historic adventure movie but age-related seen at home).
I'm sure that a great historic adventure film with emotional depth would always find a big enough audience, worldwide and (probably) also in the USA.

IMO the trailer of The Northman looks good. My biggest problem is that I have seen some members in very charismatic roles in other films (with Anya Taylor-Joy ahead). Still I agree with the comments here; especially the atmosphere works very well for me.

I know Eggers has stated Conan the Barbarian as being one of his favourite films and when this got announced I expected it to share similar vibes (which it does). But I did not expect it to have the exact same plot and set up haha. Not that I'm complaining mind you as this looks terrific. I liked his last two films a lot but I always wanted to see his period accurate style translated over to an adventure epic and he's doing just that now.

Spoiler

Get Eggers to direct King Conan.