TMP

THE NORTHMAN | April 22, 2022 | Robert Eggers Joint | Alexander Skarsgard

43 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

That is unironically the greatest possible sign for this movies quality.

If you read the full interview, there's a bit more to it. He was constantly getting notes from the studio because of the budget ballooning due to COVID. 

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2022/04/04/robert-eggerss-historical-visions-go-mainstream/amp

But then months of covid-related delays and costly safety protocols pushed the budget way beyond that. “We had kind of an expensive, arty—but commercial—but arty, but commercial, like, Viking movie. . . . Now everyone is kind of, like, ‘If this isn’t “Gladiator” or “Braveheart,” we’re fucked.’ And the thing is: it isn’t,” Eggers said. “It has aspects of that, for sure. But my best intention of doing ‘Gladiator’ or ‘Braveheart’ is still . . .” He let the sentence hang. “Weirder.”

Eggers and Ford finished the new cut of “The Northman.” On November 3rd, Eggers woke up to another message from the studio: they liked it. There was no need for more test screenings. “Isn’t that great?” Eggers said, on the phone that afternoon. We met the following week in Soho. Eggers ate a lamb thali and asked if he seemed like a different person. A weight was gone. “I think I’ve delivered the most entertaining version,” he said. “The most entertaining version is not necessarily something I’m usually striving for. But it was here, you know, and it happened.”

Cuarón saw the cut and gave his approval. “Every single frame is charged with all the thematic elements of the whole film,” he said. “I have to say, it is very complex, it is very complicated what he does.” After lunch, Eggers and I went for a walk and ended up sitting on a bench in Soho Square. Eggers praised New Regency but described the editing process as the most painful experience of his life. “Frankly, I don’t think I will do it again,” he said. “Even if it means, like, not making a film this big ever again. And, by the way, I’d like to make a film this big. I’d like to make one even bigger. But, without control, I don’t know. It’s too hard on my person.”

• Thanks 1

On 3/29/2022 at 6:17 PM, TheDude391 said:

Sounds like standard studio interference, nothing drastic that's changing his vision or anything. 

They're definitely deciding what the poster and trailers look like, but as long as the movie itself is his vision, it's all good. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

ugh if the studio fucked around with final cut on this thats a damn shame

he just go to apple or prime, they're dolling out huge budgets to people for non-IP material

yes you won't get a theatrical release but thats the future of non-IP properties anways

Edited by Ozymandias

In the whole article everything makes sense, doesn't look like anything that aren't totally common for big budget movies. They didn't make him recut the entire thing or change the tone.

The bad test screenings was because of the movie not being very traditional in execution, they showed on Texas, of course the results are bad, but they didn't make him change drastically the movie.

They give him some notes to make it a bit faster in some parts or cleared some confusing things, some he tried, some he refuse. In the end he said Regency was very supportive, and editing is indeed a terrible experience because of the pressure since COVID make the budget bigger, he didn't have the final cut and everyone was scared, but he said he believes the final cut is just the more entertaining version of the movie, not in a bad way. Even the movie page on social media posted the whole thing, if the tone of the interview really was him exposing the studio for destroying his movie we surely won't be reading it.

Alfonso Cuaron saw the movie to approve the final version and said it's great. There are some good reviews on letterboxd aswell, some are fake but some saw it in the premiere on Sweden and liked a lot.

I'm not expecting the type of reviews The Lighthouse get, but i don't think there's reason to believe the movie will be disappointing or bad received. Twitter are posting the more "shocking" parts of the whole and overreacting.

Edited by ThomasNicole
  • Like 3

Basically every review on letterboxd is positive. You can read them for yourselves and confirm they're legit. Lots of 4 stars. 

This headline is being blown WAY out of proportion and LOL at the ppl who aren't gonna see it anymore, when Eggers himself is happy with the cut.

Can't believe this shit.

Anyway read on twitter that the review embargo ends on Aprill 11.

1 hour ago, Pinacolada said:

Basically every review on letterboxd is positive. You can read them for yourselves and confirm they're legit. Lots of 4 stars. 

This headline is being blown WAY out of proportion and LOL at the ppl who aren't gonna see it anymore, when Eggers himself is happy with the cut.

Can't believe this shit.

Anyway read on twitter that the review embargo ends on Aprill 11.

Do you have a link for the embargo tweet? Didn't found it. But 11 days would be nice, even a bit surprising, i was expecting 5 days or so before release.

28 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Do you have a link for the embargo tweet? Didn't found it. But 11 days would be nice, even a bit surprising, i was expecting 5 days or so before release.

Can't find it anymore. Guess it got deleted. Swear I saw it though

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EmpireCity said:

Saw this today.  It fucking ruled.  Go and see it.  

Glad to hear it. I had 0 doubt. Fucking so dumb the overreaction from Eggers' quote. Have no idea why they would let that run.

They need to just let the reviews drop asap imo, so people will stfu about "the studio ruining his vision". That one tweet with the quote has gotten a lot of engagements. I've seen so many people worry about it, mock it, and some even say they don't even want to see it anymore. Smfh

Edited by Pinacolada

4 hours ago, EmpireCity said:

Saw this today.  It fucking ruled.  Go and see it.  

After The Witch and The Lighthouse i would even see a documentary about bird shit if it was directed by Robert Eggers.

Northman is a must-see for me.

• Like 2

On 4/1/2022 at 3:49 AM, Brainbug said:

After The Witch and The Lighthouse i would even see a documentary about bird shit if it was directed by Robert Eggers.

Northman is a must-see for me.

I remember going on a date to The Witch back in high school. Horrible horrible idea.

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, DAJK said:

I remember going on a date to The Witch back in high school. Horrible horrible idea.

Nothing sounds more romantic to me than 17th century christian fanatism mixed with occultism and family tragedy honestly.

• Haha 1