TMP

THE NORTHMAN | April 22, 2022 | Robert Eggers Joint | Alexander Skarsgard

Did it even get spots during the March Madness games yesterday? I didn't watch the first game, but watched most of the 2nd and didn't see anything

The best this can hope for is the review embargo going up and the positive reviews trending on twitter. I agree this is a dump job with nearly nonexistent marketing, but I still have the feeling in me there is an interest there, and those who know it exists will go see it. I still see an opening weekend in the double digits. May just be wishful thinking. 

Edited by Pinacolada

7 minutes ago, Pinacolada said:

Did it even get spots during the March Madness games yesterday? I didn't watch the first game, but watched most of the 2nd and didn't see anything

The best this can hope for is the review embargo going up and the positive reviews trending on twitter. I agree this is a dump job with nearly nonexistent marketing, but I still have the feeling in me there is an interest there, and those who know it exists will go see it. I still see an opening weekend in the double digits. May just be wishful thinking. 

It's being released with a bare minimum marketing campaign with no buzz surrounding it. A $4-6M opening is the likeliest scenario of all at this point.

12 hours ago, Pinacolada said:

It’s not opening in the double digits. 

The weird thing to me is that the trailer did very well across all social media. 

It would need money to market it, but there was potential after the great reception of the trailer, and they just give up.

Like i said i'm sure they know overall audiences won't like the movie and don't want to spend money on promotion, but this is ridiculous at this point, they're just letting the whole thing turn into a catastrophic result.

Very sad for Eggers because i'm sure the movie is good.

• Like 4

If this is indeed getting dumped Focus are just st00pid. They could have dumped it or sell it to a streamer when Eggers presented them with the original cut and said sorry that was a bad idea we 're cutting our loses, go back to A24.

But going above and beyond to "fix" the movie with test screenings and reshoots and Cuaron's blessing and cutting a more audience friendly trailer only to arrive at the same conclusion a year and several million dollars later is just stupid. Even if the movie wasn't compromised like Eggers is saying, why even put all of the cast and crew through all of this just to dump it at the last minute.

• Like 5

11 hours ago, ImNotRacistAtAll said:

I know this is a tough sell but Focus is doing this movie dirty. 

I don't see marketing at all. What a...mind boggling dump

If the studio had decided the film is not going to make money, why should they add to the red ink by spending more on  a doomed marketing campaign? 

I think it's a shame, since Historical films are probably my favorite genre, but they are a hard,hard sell nowdays.

And being an Eggers film will not make it easier. I like the guys films, but he is not exactly a mainstream director.

Edited by dudalb

This was going to be a struggle for breakeven with the original budget of $65, when Covid ballooned it to $90 that was game, set, match. That New Yorker article got me pumped though and I can't wait to see it. Gonna rewatch The Witch tomorrow night to see how it stands up to a second viewing.

• Like 1