sfran43

Weekend Thread: Estimates - Mal2 36, Jokah 29.2, Zombi2 26.7, Addams 16, Gemini 8.5 | Parasite 1.2 (37.6K), Lighthouse 420K (52K), Jojo 350K (70K avg)

2 minutes ago, HeadShot said:

Jaws being bad cause of its dated special effects? Perhaps I'm in the minority but effects can be overlooked if the story is really good. I mean people loved Black Panther despite its shitty PS2 final battle. 

Fixed. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Futurist said:

Cinephiles are religious people like any other people.

Their Blind Faith is their Achilles Heel.

They have their Gods, their Auteurs who are divine beings who know everything about everything.

Thye have their Sacred Cows & Sacred Totems you can't  criticize if you don't want to commit the crime of Blasphemy.

Jaws is One of these Sacred Cows.

Very difficult to engage in a decent conversation with religious people since they are convinced their beliefs are above common sense.

Common sense here being that yes,  JAWS has aged A LOT and it just wouldn't work at all with current audiences.

Good luck arguing about Gods ( auteur filmmakers) & Holy Scriptures ( their films) with Men of faith.

Aged in the sense that it’s so much better than the vast majority of ‘event’ movies made today that it’s embarrassing. I know what you’re saying, but I’d say any modern audience reaction of negativity seeing it fresh today is more down to their ignorance to what a proper film is than anything. This is what Scorsese was getting at with his recent comments. 

to my eyes, Jaws hasn’t and will never date. The filmmaking is extraordinary. Just watch the storytelling Spielberg does with the camera. It’s unreal. Still his absolute best film in my opinion.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, efialtes76 said:

Only a 96% increase for Joker? 

Sorry, but I don't buy it. 

+105% from 4.2 Thu

(Charlie updated from 8.25 to 8.6)

Edited by a2k
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Aged in the sense that it’s so much better than the vast majority of ‘event’ movies made today that it’s embarrassing. I know what you’re saying, but I’d say any modern audience reaction of negativity seeing it fresh today is more down to their ignorance to what a proper film is than anything. This is what Scorsese was getting at with his recent comments. 

to my eyes, Jaws hasn’t and will never date. The filmmaking is extraordinary. Just watch the storytelling Spielberg does with the camera. It’s unreal. Still his absolute best film in my opinion.  

Jaws would be liked even today. I liked it a lot and I'm as much of a fun of newer blockbusters as anyone. But I don't agree that it's so much better than the blockbuster standard today.

6 hours ago, Xftg123 said:

Popular Opinion: Tim Burton lost his spark & became box office poison after Alice In Wonderland

I rewatched Sleepy Hollow this week and was really stunned at his ability to craft such an interesting interpretation of colonial New England with such rich characters and a genuinely scary antagonist. I don’t know how he has evolved into what he’s shitting out these days.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, DAJK said:

Holy fuck at that Parasite #. Gonna end up in the top 10 foreign language films IMO if it gets some Oscar love and they handle the expansion right. 

Pretty great for Jojo, gonna have a higher PTA than Lighthouse (albeit in less threatres). Thanks @Charlie Jatinder

Jojo and Parasite are coming for the wigs. Lighthouse is gonna fizzle once they start to expand it for its a total arthouse play. 

I'm going to, for the most part stay out of this Jaws argument because a lot of you guys know that Jaws is my favourite movie of all time. I will say that you don't need a perfect looking shark for the movie to resonate with you. The shark was state-of-the-art when they created it in 1974. And I think that is one of the quintessential problems with movie going today is that unless something looks absolutely one hundred thousand percent perfect people complain about it. And I don't understand that. If you are engaged in the characters in the movie and the story who gives a shit if something doesn't look absolutely perfect. It's a freaking movie for god sakes. And that's all I'm going to say. If you people who are half my age want to complain about Jaws and say it doesn't hold up in the year 2019 there's not much I can do to convince you otherwise and there's nothing you're going to say that's going to make me change my mind. To me it's the best there is the best there was and the best there ever will be.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, John Marston said:

I love Jaws. But I showed it too a couple friends and they told me it was boring and not scary. That doesn’t mean it’s bad but modern audiences probably want something more fast paced 

But there's a reason for that. You're talkin about 44 years of movie history. Everything that Jaws did back then had not been done before. Or at least a lot of it had not been done before. Audiences now have seen everything since Jaws so naturally it's not going to affect the audiences now the way it did 44 years ago. That's just common sense. It's like watching the original Star Wars and saying well that doesn't impress me because the special effects aren't nearly as good as they are today. No shit theyre not.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Chaz said:

I rewatched Sleepy Hollow this week and was really stunned at his ability to craft such an interesting interpretation of colonial New England with such rich characters and a genuinely scary antagonist. I don’t know how he has evolved into what he’s shitting out these days.

Sleepy Hollow is Burton's last great movie. He's never been the same since the Apes debacle.

• Like 1