sfran43

Weekend Thread: Estimates - Mal2 36, Jokah 29.2, Zombi2 26.7, Addams 16, Gemini 8.5 | Parasite 1.2 (37.6K), Lighthouse 420K (52K), Jojo 350K (70K avg)

24 minutes ago, baumer said:

I will say that you don't need a perfect looking shark for the movie to resonate with you. The shark was state-of-the-art when they created it in 1974

My problem was that I had zero character sympathy or scares without shark as well. I know effects is secondary, that didn't stop me from liking Star Wars or for that matter Jurassic Park 

17 minutes ago, baumer said:

But there's a reason for that. You're talkin about 44 years of movie history. Everything that Jaws did back then had not been done before. Or at least a lot of it had not been done before. Audiences now have seen everything since Jaws so naturally it's not going to affect the audiences now the way it did 44 years ago. That's just common sense. It's like watching the original Star Wars and saying well that doesn't impress me because the special effects aren't nearly as good as they are today. No shit theyre not.

Some part of Jaws seem outdated but that was what we had at best 44 years ago.

Unlike some action blockbuster nowadays, the effect seem outdated even during the opening night itself, let alone 40 years.

But Jaws wasn’t about the shark. 
It was about a man with the weight of the town and its politics on his shoulders having to face his fears and do the right thing. As a character study it was remarkably well handled and thoroughly relatable. 
The shark was all metaphor. 

Like baumer said, it’s not worth entering into an argument about. Each of us like what we like and that’s that. 

I love the movie. Unabashedly. I wish we got more movies like it that a mass audience would get behind and see.  Yet we’re well beyond that. 

Doesn’t mean I don’t still very much enjoy the event movie equivalents we get today, but in my opinion we’d be lucky if we ever got a huge hit on the level of mastery Jaws is. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I am so proud I derailed the weekend thread with multiple pages about old movies:)...it's taken me years to do:)...

I was hoping for Beetlejuice discussion, but I'll take Jaws discussion...gets me in the mood for my Joker viewing this afternoon:)...yep, date day before we do mini golf and Mongolian with the kids (thank you Groupon and LocalFlavor:)...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, DAJK said:

Holy fuck at that Parasite #. Gonna end up in the top 10 foreign language films IMO if it gets some Oscar love and they handle the expansion right. 

Pretty great for Jojo, gonna have a higher PTA than Lighthouse (albeit in less threatres). Thanks @Charlie Jatinder

Parasite was at 15k/theater just on Friday.

7 minutes ago, a2k said:

Sberg top 3 JP, Jaws, Schindler

Tintin this century

Not E.T., huh?  I probably actually agree with you (thus, I was leaning to Jurassic Park vs Jaws for the movie club viewing - I have to do Spielberg this year, b/c how can you be a movie club and not do it...and it has to be Spielberg in about 2 hours or less, and PG-13 or less, so I can't do Schindler's, even if I'd want to)...

6 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Not E.T., huh?  I probably actually agree with you (thus, I was leaning to Jurassic Park vs Jaws for the movie club viewing - I have to do Spielberg this year, b/c how can you be a movie club and not do it...and it has to be Spielberg in about 2 hours or less, and PG-13 or less, so I can't do Schindler's, even if I'd want to)...

ET is one of my Sberg most over-rated 😛

(followed by a couple of IJs)

Do Schindler's at all costs :)

• Like 2
  • Knock It Off 1

6 minutes ago, a2k said:

ET is one of my Sberg most over-rated 😛

(followed by a couple of IJs)

Do Schindler's at all costs :)

I would, but it's R-rated, and I'm not allowed to do those for a kids'/teen movie club:)...let alone getting over 3 hours for the multipurpose room (it's why I can't do Titanic, either...which would have been in my top choices, even if I had to force my kids to watch it:)...

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, a2k said:

Has anyone seen The Post or War Horse? Saw half of Post on TV and didn't like it much.

Both movies are super formulaic and sub-par, that two movies make me wonder if Steven has lost his touch, especially the post, oscar-baity to the core  . 

• Thanks 1