chasmmi

Top 100 Video Game Countdown Thread | We've Reached the Top 20

10 hours ago, belligerent talking robot said:

i'm going to use my brain and shame this list/countdown and call it fake!  it feels like 100th place would have about 10 points at the most.  wtf!  what happened??

If it helps with the calculations, 1st place on a list is worth 50 points and in fact you get 10 points for somebody placed 41st-50th. 

So the only way 10 points is making the top 100 is if there were only like 3 lists. :) 

9 hours ago, chasmmi said:

If it helps with the calculations, 1st place on a list is worth 50 points and in fact you get 10 points for somebody placed 41st-50th. 

So the only way 10 points is making the top 100 is if there were only like 3 lists. :) 

No use explaining to him, his mind operates outside of logic 

22 hours ago, chasmmi said:

damn, I thought the condensed list I sent would be enough for stuff like Counterstrike characters on this top 100 countdown.  logically 10 points, top 100 sounds about right, with 10 lists

104th  

Birdo - Mario (60 points) 

Mario's Premier male villain that wants to be a female villain and also keeps a vibrator hidden in their room during weird game boy games that actually exist. 

Say what you will about Birdo's inclusion, he is one of the premier egg spitting characters in all of video gaming and clearly the best character to be introduced in Super Mario 2 (except Mouser, Mouser was cool). 

• Like 6

103rd  

Clank - Ratchett and Clank (60 points) 

There is no Clank in that clip above, but I unashamedly love the joke and it needs to be spread more. As for the game, I played a few hours of the PS4 Ratchett game and enjoyed it a fair bit... but then discovered Horizon Zero Dawn and well little sassy robots aren't a match for Robot dinosaurs. Nothing is a match for robot dinosaurs. 

Clank is yet another sidekick making an appearance early doors with question marks hanging over whether this means they are the popular or unpopular member of the duo. 

• Like 5

102nd  

Cecil Harvey - (61 points) 

Ah Final Fantasy, a long term nemesis of mine as I fight a one man battle to get people to take my side and say the games are rubbish. 

To be fair this appears to be a FFIV character and so I assume originates back in a time before there was the processing power to force one to run around on the same piece of grass for 4 hours in order to random fight the same cactus man 412 times so that you can gain enough needles to craft the ultima dragon sword and then breed a golden chocobo with a blue meanie and give birth to a Pikachu strong enough to fly over the mountain and fight the secret boss living behind a tree. 

Or something. 

I apologise, I have no knowledge of this game (I had the name down as Cecil Highwind until 5 minutes ago) and thus can only speculate. 

• Like 5

101st  

Ridley - (62 points) 

The smash Bros addition everyone was waiting for. We have yet another flying character on our list (Although i do not believe they reside inside a backpack, [although they may still be happy to carry bears over mountains on a whim})

Ripley is handily the most popular Metroid antagonist on this list as Mother Brain et all (is there an et all?) did not garner a single vote. He is also the number one most popular space  pterodactyl, so that is something to hang up on the mantelpiece. 

• Like 6

100th  

Ryu Hayabushi - (62 points) 

So this is an iconic old school ninja from back in the SNES days and thus it is clear that it is love of those old Gaiden games that brought him into this lis...

oh wait he was also in Dead or Alive? Real Dead or alive or that volleyball thing with the bouncing on a log in the ocean mini-game and stuff? Real Dead or Alive, I see. So maybe this is a Dead or Alive entry.  

He's also a Sekiro Modded character? I mean that is neat and all but nobody is adding a character to their list because of a mod are they... The sticks from pong finished 127 places above Senuya from Hellblade you say? Well then I guess anything is possible. 

Either way. Ryu is a ninja. He is a cool ninja. He is a nostalgic ninja (I mean he evokes nostalga, not that parts of the game are him remember the good old days when ninja stars were chisel from rocks.) It makes sense he has a place here. 

• Like 5

99th

Earthworm Jim - Earthworm Jim - (62 points) 

Who's ready for an Earthworm Jim return? I'm ready for an Earthworm Jim return. He was so cool back in the day and was one of what felt like a million cool alternatives to plumbers and hedgehogs if you were looking for them. 

They were also very pretty games for the time and also managed to pack a lot of charisma into a couple of sprites that spoke in text. Come on, give the guy a reboot. 

• Like 7

98th

Arbiter - Halo (64 points) 

Oh Halo, I have heard so much about you but never gave you a chance. Mostly because you were on consoles I didn't own / buy games for. 

People that know halo better than I will probably deduce that this is a sign that other characters are likely still to come. You are probably correct if you did indeed deduce that way. 

• Like 3

97th

Banjo - Diddy Kong Racing (66 points) 

Banjo was Rare's first big independent jumpy platform character that wasn't rented out to them by Nintendo. And it led to some real blockbuster games. They were not half bad at all even come to think of it. 

This also completes one of our previously started duos as Kazooie has already appeared 10 or so places previously.  The big question now is how long until we see Conker burst onto the scene????

...the answer is a very long time as Conker came 160th. 

• Like 7

And I have finally managed to break into the top 100 (It will not stutter back again). 

This weekend is halloween so I will be dead from Alcohol Poisoning over Saturday and Sunday, but will hopefully put in a few entries tomorrow before that blackness lowers. 

• Haha 2

96th

Falco Lombardi - Starfox  (68 points) 

Did Rare make Lylat Wars? Is that something I imagined? Well just in case, let's tentatively call this a RareWare double as Banjo is followed by that one from Star Fox that isn't the actual fox, isn't the stupid fucking toad that needs to DIE IN A FIERY HOLE OF MOLTEN LAVA DEATH FOREVER AND THEN BE RESSURECTED JUST TO BE MELTED AGAIN FOR BEING SO FUCKING USELESS AT LIFE... and I think there was also a rabbit or something (maybe Bucky O Hare, I am not sure. 

Anyway, Falco, falco. Yeah he is the Falcon from Starfox and probably the best Falcon character in any space adventure game. 

• Like 5

95th

Raiden - Mortal Kombat  (69 points, 1 top 10) 

Owner of the best hat in the franchise, Mortal Kombat gets its second character in the countdown (I almost said top 100, but that stopped being a thing this list was trying to start from a long long time ago.) 

Raiden is an annoying electro-man God thing that cheats by fighting better than whoever I am using at the time and this is blatently and patantly unfair. 

However he did have a fatality where he squishes the eyeballs out of a persons head and then explodifies the skull, that means i forgive him,. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, chasmmi said:

95th

Raiden - Mortal Kombat  (69 points, 1 top 10) 

Owner of the best hat in the franchise, Mortal Kombat gets its second character in the countdown (I almost said top 100, but that stopped being a thing this list was trying to start from a long long time ago.) 

Raiden is an annoying electro-man God thing that cheats by fighting better than whoever I am using at the time and this is blatently and patantly unfair. 

However he did have a fatality where he squishes the eyeballs out of a persons head and then explodifies the skull, that means i forgive him,. 

giphy.gif