chasmmi

Top 100 Video Game Countdown Thread | We've Reached the Top 20

81st

Virgil - WWE 2K14 (76 points, 1 top 10) 

Finally, the Wresting conventions legend and best ever bodyguard to the Million Dollar Man, get the recognition he deserves as Virgil makes his way onto our list. 

He was a wrestler with so much characters and variance. His moveset was a thing of beauty with moves like the high punch, the high jab, the punch to mid section, and left-handed punch to the mid-section. His character as well showed a range of different facial expressions only equal by Derek Zoolander. Truly a giant among...

Oh, wait a sec. I may have the wrong Virgil...ummm...

81st

Virgil - DMC (76 points, 1 top 10) 

Turns out the actual Virgil is a big swordy bloke from the Inferno. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

80th

Knuckles - Sonic (76 points) 

Knowing Sega at that time, I can honestly see that being pretty much how things went down. 

Knuckles was essentially angry Sonic and he successfully carved out that niche as his own, I mean if you ignore Shadow, Metal Sonic, anytime they gave sonic a fecking gun, and maybe a few other things. 

I suppose he was cool in Sonic Adventure, and was a better expansion of a character roster than Chunky Kong. 

• Like 6

79th

Spyro - Spyro (76 points) 

What do you do when you want to make your main character a dragon, but don't have the processing power or ability to allow for a giant flying dragon that can cover epic distances in a single glide?

You decide, screw it, make'em a dragon anyway, just make them tiny and only really able to glide to the point that bloody Kazooie has more aerial prowess. But either way, the votes don't lie.

Spyro: better than Croc and Alex Kidd. 

• Like 7

78th

Professor Oak - Pokemon (76 points) 

If you need an old man to give dinosaurs to children, then Professor Oak is your guy. You'd think that somebody would step in and maybe.. you know, not let children go out into the woods to force mice that can harness the power of lightning into slavery.

He seems like a  very questionable fellow to me.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

77th

Agent 47 - Hitman (77 points) 

What other game lets you murder a man by feeding him fish? Or becoming a male model? Or... all the other stuff. 

Hitman is probably one of the better episodic games out there and thanks to PS Plus, I personally know that it is a lot of fun and full of japes. Agent 47 is kind of a blank slate of a character, but that also kind of makes him as a character as he can become anything or assume anybody. 

It's rarely not a good time getting to be ol' Agent 47.

• Like 3

76th

Marth - Fire Emblem (78 points) 

He's a blue haired anime boy who refuses to yield. What more could you want in a character? Well whatever that may be, I cannot tell you if Fire Emblem successfully quenches your thirst for further character as I have no idea what happens in Fire Emblem, save giving Nintendo the chance to send what feels like 5 identical people with different hair colours to Smash Bros.  

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

75th

Jill Valentine - Resident Evil (80 points) 

So there are 8 Resident Evil main games. I have played 0, 2, 4, and 7. Guess which 4 games Jill Valentine is not in? Yep :( 

What I can say is that I do think that Resident Evil as a series makes some pretty good playable characters considering they are horror games and not super in depth story driven RPGs. I've also heard that she is good at unlocking stuff.

• Like 4

74th

Darth Revan - KOTOR (80 points, 2 top 10) 

We now embark on a spurt of 4 characters from some of the most played, loved, and well-known games in the history of the medium. And I have not played any of the 4. Go me!!!! 

Harking back to a time when Bioware made games that people wanted to play (even if those people were not me), KOTOR is a game (franchise?) that created a myriad of characters loved to different extents by different groups of voters. 

Revan is one of 7 KOTOR characters to receive votes on this list and they were neither the highest or lowest ranked character among the 7. T

This means that I can hold off on my 'Mass Effect is basically a Star Wars Game in disguise' blurb for a latter entry. 

• Like 6

73rd

Trevor Phillips - GTA (80 points, 1 top 5) 

If the various glimpes into GTA taught me anything, Trevor is crazy, walking around with his balls out on display, angry torturer man right?

He's clearly a real charmer and that, combined with his chiseled good looks and dignified charm, is the reason why he made the list.  

• Like 3

72nd

Adam Ryan - Bioshock (80 points) 

I think I own the Bioshock trilogy now, so I will play it eventually when I ever clear the backlogue. 

Now would you kindly allow me to end this particularly write up right here? Thank you. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

71st

Yuna - Final Fantasy (81 points) 

Final Fantasy... something something... random battle... something something...oh my what a big sword you have.... something... chocobos.... something ... please don't stab this one through the back of the chest.

(If it helps, I do actually have at least a passing familiarity with 7 of the next 8 on this list whenever they get revealed.)

• Like 3

On 11/1/2019 at 11:02 PM, cannastop said:

It really is confusing when there's Rikku in Final Fantasy X and then Riku in Kingdom Hearts a year later.

Let's just say, if i did indeed confuse the two, then it means that neither should have made the list and there should only be 124 entries in this top 100. 

• Haha 2

70th

Tali Zorah - Mass Effect (82 points) 

And in 70th place we find our first Mass Effect entrant. Tali was a personal favourite of mine and the Geth vs Quarian sub plot was one of the best things in the whole series in my humble but correct opinion.

She also ended up being the character that Shepherd fell for over the course of Mass Effect 2 as every other viable option turned out to either be racist, annoying, crazy, pretty much competely removed from the game as an interactable character, or dead. 

Overall, Mass Effect is a strong game with a lot of strong chracters. Each has their own depth and thus each is a favourite to one group or another (aside from dreary, boring, nothing guy that you all decided to let die half way through Mass Effect 1 because at the time you didn't realise how much of a fucking blight on humanity that other woman was going to turn out to be.  

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

69th

Hero - Dragon Quest (82 points) 

I won't lie, I spent this countdown period thinking that Dragon Quest was gonna be this:

And thus thought this might be one of those, quasi-breast inspired choices that sometimes happen :) 

As it turns out it's another of those characters that you come across in Smash Brothers and wonder which random Japanese thing that you haven't played did this guy or lady come from. then you assume it is fire emblem and move on .

Although in that video above he kind of looks a little like the pokemon kid has hit his teenage years. 

• Like 4

68th

Wario - Mario (82 points) 

Fat yellow Mario pops up now and I am very ok with this. Over the years, Wazza has sort of gone from weird villain, to weird anti-hero, and back again. He has fronted a number of odd but successful and enjoyable games.

Proof once again that if Nintendo ever needs to create a new iconic character, all they need to do is take Mario, squish or stretch him a bit, and then paint him a new colour. 

• Like 4

67th

Fox McCloud - StarFox (82 points) 

And the leader of the Star Fox crew is now here. Unsurprising;y, this is the highest rated character from the Starfox franchise and that is good news as it means that that disgusting waste of pixels that is that fucking frog, is nowhere near this top 100. 

• Like 4

66th

Urdnot Wrex - Mass Effect (83 points) 

Oh Wrex, one of the many characters that you think was great in Mass Effect 1, and then the game decides that you don't deserve nice things and they are ripped away from you for future games :(. 

This was especially annoying for me, as Wrex was one of my core team fighters in the game, so not having him at my disposal for the next game was... disappointing. Sure, replacement Wrex was fine, but I missed Wrex. 

• Like 6